Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IO9 review

http://io9.com/5056841/heroes-avoids-credibility-grounded-by-budget

Heroes Avoids Credibility, Grounded By Budget

Enjoyed last night's Heroes, but thought that some scenes were a little... underwhelming? You weren't alone; series director Greg Beeman has been spilling the beans on what was originally planned for last night's three set-pieces before budgetary concerns forced them to bring everything back down to earth. One of the cool things that we missed out on? Hiro and Ando getting to re-enact the opening of Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade in the middle of India. Be warned: Thar be spoilers ahead.
    While Beeman - who directed last week's second episode, and has been with the show since the beginning - doesn't point out the major flaw in last night's "One of Us, One of Them" (That would be the "Hey, Sylar's a good guy now! Look, he put on a funny accent and ordered that ******* cop around! Ain't he a card?" turnaround, which didn't just stretch what little credibility the show had as much as just gleefully shred it while giggling and telling the audience not to think too much, just look at Zachary Quinto in a suit - Seriously, people, WTF? You couldn't have at least tried to put some effort into that plotline?), he's happy to share some behind the scenes gossip about Claire's showdown with her mom and Hiro and Ando's moviegoing experiences in Germany:
    The first draft of the script, from a production standpoint, was very big. It had the bank robbery more-or- less as it currently exists. It also had a Claire/Meredith scene, which currently occurs in a cargo container. This scene originally took place in a deserted warehouse where Claire was surrounded by fire. The Hiro/Ando/Daphne scene, which currently occurs in a German movie theatre, originally took place on a train traveling through India, complete with Hiro and Ando on the roof of the train and Ando nearly falling out the side of a baggage car.
    Personally, I loved the first draft of this script. It was a great, incredibly exciting read. I loved the way the bank robbery was written, and the idea that Sylar was to become HRG’s new partner blew my mind. The entire component parts were great – but, collectively, it was also, obviously, too big to be affordable. Beyond that though, the choices we producer’s faced of how to get the budget down became very subjective. The bank robbery was the obvious thing that had to stay because it drove the central story and the key recurring stories for the series– For me, the scripted moment where time freezes and future Peter appears was a key event (it sent a chill down my spine when I first read it.) So the Claire story and the Hiro story were what had to be attacked.
    Not that the bank robbery escaped entirely unscathed:
    There were changes made to reduce budget in the bank scenes as well. Most noteably – at first Jesse’s power was Earthquake-stomp (Like Gorgon of the Inhumans from the Fantastic Four comics) But this power implied cracking floors and walls and all manner of damage that would be expensive to produce. At the last minute we changed him to a Sonic scream (like DC’s Black Canary) – this was easier to accomplish but was a bummer too us because we already had Echo from the online webisodes with sonic power – Oh well…
    The biggest bummer for me was the death of the villains (Well, three of the four) so quickly - Not only does it kind of make me wonder what the point of pretending that they were a big deal in the first place was if they were going to be written out after a botched bank robbery (Also, what was the point of the "hidden Peter" plot at all?), but I'm depressed that Weevil's death robs of any more potential Veronica Mars reunion moments. But what did the rest of you think?

Some parts of the episode did give me kind of a an "eh" feeling. Sylar dialing out of complete psycho mode to team up with Noah really did give me that 'wtf' feeling. It was bareable though. Claire's storyline could possibly get better when she gets out on her own, but so far its been crap.

I agree with others about Hiro. He has been through a lot that should have had some kind of impact on his personality. So far he seems to have been dialed down to comic relief with all of his goofy mistakes.

Tracy's storyline, I need to wait before I start passing any kind of judgement.

Parkman's storyline seems to be getting really interesting.

Mo's storyline is giving me that '4400' feeling ( *cries* I miss that show!)

Nathan's story, cant pass judgement yet.

Peter's storyline has to be my favored one of them all. I hope they do a good job with it.

Comment

I agree with the Sylar assessment. The guy is a serial killer a power hungry one at that and they've turned the guy completely. He's supposed to be evil personnified. Did he look cool in a suit and slicked back hair. Yes of course, but he's supposed to be EVIL.

Comment

See, I had a brief 'wtf' moment with Sylar in a suit but my overall reaction was 'awesome' because I kept thinking back to X-Files and some of their crazy episodes where Mulder wasn't normal but tried to act like he was. It gave me that vibe. I didn't think he was a good guy. I thought he was a bad guy working with a form of 'good' to accomplish his own goals.

Claire's storyline has no interest to me. She's bitter who cares....... they keep pushing that she's this ultimate thing but I have yet to be impressed.

I don't agree with the guy from the article saying 'Also, what was the point of the "hidden Peter" plot at all?' - I think it was pretty clear that Future Peter put Peter someplace he a) couldn't escape b) wouldn't be going anywhere any time soon - but then the future changed and he probably didn't see the prisoners escaping. Future Peter set Peter free to 'set things right'. The whole Peter/Future Peter storyline is very interesting to me and I hope they do a better job with it than what they did with Peter in S2 (it had so much potential).

In reality, although the original scrip did sound good it was feasible and they should have realized that before it even went out for review. They wrote themselves into a corner with the craziness that they had going on.

I also hate that they seemed to have reduced Hiro to comic relief. His character and abilities have so many possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by warriorrenegade
          I agree with the Sylar assessment. The guy is a serial killer a power hungry one at that and they've turned the guy completely. He's supposed to be evil personnified. Did he look cool in a suit and slicked back hair. Yes of course, but he's supposed to be EVIL.
          Evil is as evil does. So he is evil, he doesn't look himself as evil anyways... Besides... Remember Season one when he went to his mother because he thought he was going to kill a lot of innocent people????

He has a motive now, Ma Patrelli is giving him motive to be someone. That was exactly what he wanted from his own mother (if she was, which i think she wasn't, ma patrelli is). She is doing what its supposed to be done with him. She will feed him and that is how you tame a beast, WITH FOOD. Careful or your hand will fall off

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Ginx
          See, I had a brief 'wtf' moment with Sylar in a suit but my overall reaction was 'awesome' because I kept thinking back to X-Files and some of their crazy episodes where Mulder wasn't normal but tried to act like he was. It gave me that vibe. I didn't think he was a good guy. I thought he was a bad guy working with a form of 'good' to accomplish his own goals.

Claire's storyline has no interest to me. She's bitter who cares....... they keep pushing that she's this ultimate thing but I have yet to be impressed.

I don't agree with the guy from the article saying 'Also, what was the point of the "hidden Peter" plot at all?' - I think it was pretty clear that Future Peter put Peter someplace he a) couldn't escape b) wouldn't be going anywhere any time soon - but then the future changed and he probably didn't see the prisoners escaping. Future Peter set Peter free to 'set things right'. The whole Peter/Future Peter storyline is very interesting to me and I hope they do a better job with it than what they did with Peter in S2 (it had so much potential).

In reality, although the original scrip did sound good it was feasible and they should have realized that before it even went out for review. They wrote themselves into a corner with the craziness that they had going on.

I also hate that they seemed to have reduced Hiro to comic relief. His character and abilities have so many possibilities.
          They are using Peter for the more serious side of the same ability... Hiro could be better... yes, but they can't make this TOO serious... Why so serioussssss?
          Last edited by the highlander; 10-01-2008, 06:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎