Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastique Screentime Minutes

Running Time, 41m, 57s (I only time the eps to the end of the producers credit, so this running time would not include the full credits, which is why it will differ from iTunes)

Clark 22m, 15s
    Chloe 17m, 36s
    Lois 9m, 33s
    Tess 6m, 33s
    Davis 7m, 45s

Year to Date totals for the whole cast (# of eps)

Clark 39m, 39s (2)
    Chloe 27m, 54s (2)
    Lois 16m, 18s (2)
    Jimm 1m, 59s (1)
    Tess 13m, 20s (2)
    Davis 7m, 45s (1)
    Oliver 10m, 59s (1)

very nice screentime for clark!

Comment

Thanks so much for this, BadToad!

Wow, I would've thought that Lois was on for more than that.

Comment

Wow thanks BadToad!
        How do you get these!?

Comment

How do you get these!?
          I watch the eps on my computer, and use the timer on the media player to time the screentime. Its a little time consuming, but fairly easy.

Comment

Originally posted by BadToad
            I watch the eps on my computer, and use the timer on the media player to time the screentime. Its a little time consuming, but fairly easy.
            Wow, thanks for using your time!
            But really, thanks a million.

Comment

Go Chloe and Clark!

Comment

Chloe 17m, 36s
                Lois 9m, 33s
                Bwah! What? Lois was in seven scenes! I don't even remember what Chloe did this episode. Did hanging out with Davis and Bette take that long?

Your efforts are very much appreciated though, BT.

While we're on the subject of screentime minutes... I know you've explained it before, but I can't find it anywhere. :P Do you count when someone's literally on the screen, or the length of the scene that the person is in? Do they get time when we hear them speaking but the camera is on the other actor? If we get an over the shoulder shot to see the other person's reaction (but the back is visible), do they get time?

Just curious.

Comment

Thanks, BadToad! It's always interesting to see this stuff.

Would you possibly be able to compare the screentime of Clark, Chloe, and Lois for the first two eps of S8 with the first two eps of S7?

Comment

Thanks for posting the screentime totals.

Not surprising the minutes Clark and Chloe had. The Chloe/Davis and Chloe/Clark scenes were the only scenes I remembered, and were the best scenes in the episode,imo. Thanks again.

Comment

BT comes through again!

Looks like Smallville is definitely turning into the Chloe and Clark show, just not in the way I expected as the two of them aren't sharing nearly as much screen time as I would have predicted. Lois didn't have a scene without without Clark and Davis only had one without Chloe (even when laying alone on the street it was to Chloe's VO). It makes a lot of sense logistically since they can't have TW on screen much more than 20 minutes an episode without running the guy completely into the ground.

With MR and KK gone I wondered if AM's and TW's per episode average would spike or if they'd go more for an ensemble feel by bringing all the regulars up a minute or two on average. Looks like they're going with TW & AM picking up most of that slack and leaving the other regulars at (or even below) the 8-12 minute per episode average of past seasons.

ETA: I wonder if JH will wind up being the only part timer with more than 10 minutes per ep on average. He did get over ten in the premier and next week looks like it could be another big one for him.
                      Last edited by jwm; 09-27-2008, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Bwah! What? Lois was in seven scenes! I don't even remember what Chloe did this episode. Did hanging out with Davis and Bette take that long?
                        Well, yes, actually. Chloe's scenes with Bette and Davis were very long for your typical SV scenes. Believe it or not, most SV scenes average, roughly, just under 2m. Its rare to see scenes dragging out for over 3m. In this episode, Chloe had 2 scenes that ran over 3m. In comparison, Clark had NO scenes that went over 3m. Lois had no scenes that ran over 2m.

Do you count when someone's literally on the screen, or the length of the scene that the person is in? Do they get time when we hear them speaking but the camera is on the other actor? If we get an over the shoulder shot to see the other person's reaction (but the back is visible), do they get time?
                        This is my method...if they are in the scene, it counts as screentime. Even if they are lying in the corner unconscious, or even if the camera isn't on them. If they are just a voice on the phone, and its a live conversation, then it counts as screentime (an answering machine message wouldn't count, as the voice isn't "live"). For instance, I counted Chloe leaving the message for Davis as Chloe screentime, even though the scene shifted to Davis in the alley. A characters screentime doesn't start till they actually appear on camera, meaning that even if we start a scene of Clark talking to someone at the DP, it isn't until the person he's talking to appears on camera that they are counted. And a persons screentime ends when they literally leave the scene.

And I know this sounds way more complicated then it really is.

Would you possibly be able to compare the screentime of Clark, Chloe, and Lois for the first two eps of S8 with the first two eps of S7?
                        Sure

Bizarro:
                        Clark 18m, 59s (and that is CLARK time, not TW playing Bizarro time. If I add in TW playing Bizarro, then its 27m, 47s)
                        Chloe 12m, 19s
                        Lois 6m, 32s

Kara:
                        Clark 19m, 22s
                        Chloe 8m, 22s
                        Lois 10m, 18s

S8

Odyssey
                        Clark 17m, 24s
                        Chloe 10m, 18s
                        Lois 6m, 45s

Plastique
                        Clark 22m, 15s
                        Chloe 17m, 36s
                        Lois 9m, 33s

Looks like Smallville is definitely turning into the Chloe and Clark show, just not in the way I expected as the two of them aren't sharing nearly as much screen time as I would have predicted.
                        I agree. What they seem to be doing is having both of them anchoring their own stories, seperately from each other, but still interacting. I'm not entirely sold on the idea, but then again, I'm not really a fan of Chimmy, or Chloe's meteor power thing, so that part of the storyline is weak, IMO. Devoting more screentime to it isn't likely to help for me.
                        Last edited by BadToad; 09-27-2008, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Thanks again, BadToad. It seems like Clark and Chloe had noticably more screentime in their second episodes, but other than that, it's basically the same...

Comment

Yeah, I was actually surprised to see that Clark's screentime in Odyssey was pretty much on par with what he's had in previous premieres, because it felt like less to me. But its funny how wrong perceptions can be compared to the actual numbers.

BTW, I have all the totals from S3-on, so if anyone has a question about a certain ep in that range, I got the data. What can I say? Its a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Routh
                              Your efforts are very much appreciated though, BT.
                              Indeed they are. It's nice to see these posted on KSite every week.

BTW, I have all the totals from S3-on, so if anyone has a question about a certain ep in that range, I got the data.
                              That's impressive. The earlier seasons were probably even harder to get because the episodes were longer. We can occasionally get an episode that clocks in under 40 minutes these days, which absolutely sucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎