Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revealed! - How Powers Work (Discussion thread)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

If its a fight or flight response, it makes more sense for the brain to just trigger the powers directly, rather than have the brain trigger adrenalin which then goes through the bloodstream to trigger another part of the brain. The first should work much more quickly.

Comment

Not necessarily, for instance when your burned and you react, the signal hasn't actually gotten to your brain yet, the adrenaline would be released though even without your brain being aware of what had happened.

The fight or flight part of the psyche is embedded so deep that it precedes natural thought. When you flee from a tiger or any dangerous reaction you don't necessarily think first, even though adrenaline has already been pumped into your body.

Comment

You don't consciously think first, but your neurons are still controlling your actions. How would your body know to release adrenalin if the brain didn't interpret that image you are seeing as a tiger?

The Endocrine system, like all biological systems, finds its source in the brain.

Comment

Like when you are startled, you jump before you know what startled you.

(The proverbial cat in the horror film.)

Comment

Well when the release happens the brain is simply telling the body release adrenaline, the adrenaline when released is what causes the powers to activate. I guess that would be the best way to describe it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mischael12
              Well when the release happens the brain is simply telling the body release adrenaline, the adrenaline when released is what causes the powers to activate. I guess that would be the best way to describe it.
              No.

The addrenaline is the highway the chemical travels down. Not the chemical itself. If adrenaline was all it took to have an ability everyone would have one.

The chemical that activates the ability works the same as adrenaline, but it isn't the same thing. It may even work with adrenaline but we wont know till Mohinder finds more out.

Comment

Adrenaline is a chemical, I'm not saying that Adrenaline is the power itself, I'm saying that Adrenaline activates it. We seem too have a three way system.

We have the Brain

Blood itself as evident with Claire

and Adrenaline.

Adrenaline pumped into the body activates the chemical in the bloodstream that triggers the ability perhaps?

Comment

Exactly, the brain is subconsciously telling the body to activate the adrenalin to activate the powers, when it could just be telling the body to activate adrenaline while itself activating the ability, just like it does with all other fight or flight reactions.

Comment

That's what I had basically said, I guess I should have indicated that what I meant when I said not really the brain is that its not the thinking center of the brain that is doing it.

Comment

Adrenaline is a chemical, I'm not saying that Adrenaline is the power itself, I'm saying that Adrenaline activates it. We seem too have a three way system.

We have the Brain

Blood itself as evident with Claire

and Adrenaline.

Adrenaline pumped into the body activates the chemical in the bloodstream that triggers the ability perhaps?
                      Can't really say 'blood' I'd agree with, but if it was 'blood' then simply transfusing someones blood who had powers to someone who doesnt would give them powers.

The powers can give different cells the body abilities, such as healing gives claires blood the ability to regenerate, but what about Elle? Her abilities activate different cells in her body to produce electricity to expell.

I don't think blood has anything to do with powers in general, but specific powers utilize the blood for sure. I wouldn't say adrenaline is the chemical that creates the powers but I agree that it is definately ONE of the ways the ability can be turned on. I don't think it is the only way though but that is a personal belief and not supported on screen yet.

Do you think Micah learned about computers after an adrenaline rush? Would be something to tie it together.

Comment

I know my adrenaline rushed pretty hard the first time I messed up my first computer

Comment

Originally posted by STFanatic
                          I know my adrenaline rushed pretty hard the first time I messed up my first computer
                          lol nice.

Comment

Well I base it off, that Adrenaline is in many cases what causes people to suddenly have an increase of power.

Consider the mother whose child is trapped under a car who can lift the car, that is due to the adrenaline rush. It probably isn't the only chemical, but I think its one of the major factors. I mean things like blood circulate through out the body delivering oxygen and many different hormones to the body, so there might be traces of the chemical to unite within the blood as well. Personally I preferred it when they just kept it as the brain. And unfortunately we haven't had a back story to Micah to be able to tell. I mean DL was stressed when his powers first manifested right? Nikki as well, Peter, basically everyone was in some form of danger or had some level of anxiety/happiness.

and consider Isaac whose powers wouldn't work unless he was on Heroin which has been known to cause the body to release adrenaline.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎