Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Like The Black Canary? (Dinah)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish I were able to be so forgiving but having seen and loved Black Canary in the JLU cartoon, I admit to being biased. She is an independent woman with cool abilities but knowing how she has looked in previous incarnations and liking the look, when I see Dinah on Smallville I'm just a tad disappointed. Look at how loathed Clark's red jacket is. Despite the symbolism, people still want to torch it. Clothes do make the man (or in this case, woman!) and attach strong sentiment to them.

Comment

because she´s with Ollie!
      Not, I don´t know why,but I do like her.

Comment

Originally posted by geminis
        Wish I were able to be so forgiving but having seen and loved Black Canary in the JLU cartoon, I admit to being biased. She is an independent woman with cool abilities but knowing how she has looked in previous incarnations and liking the look, when I see Dinah on Smallville I'm just a tad disappointed. Look at how loathed Clark's red jacket is. Despite the symbolism, people still want to torch it. Clothes do make the man (or in this case, woman!) and attach strong sentiment to them.
        She was really a good addition to JLU and I highly recomend you pick up some trades of Birds of Prey by Gail Simone (as that Gail wrote two of her JLU episodes) if you want to see what Dinah is capable of being after seeing the chacter shine like that and being that she is one of the DCU's best female chacters a less flattereing take can make people a little upset

Comment

I like Dinah and I like Alaina Huffman as Black Canary, my only real problem with her on Smallville is the look: I want Black Canary in the long blonde wig and Dinah with the short dark hair. The lower pitched cry is something I'm learning to live with. And thanks for the recommendation. I haven't bought comics in quite a while and am completely out of touch on who is good.

Comment

Originally posted by geminis
            Actually I don't loath Clark's red jacket. I'm ready to see him in other clothes but I still hope the red jacket makes an appearance once in awhile. I guess it has sentimental value...LOL...I see why people who know the Black Canary may be disappointed with the one they see on Smallville if she doesn't meet their standards. What I don't see is why people have to compare all the time. Why can't they accept Smallville and the characters as being different and not a copycat of something else. I like Smallville's originality and I'm glad it doesn't mirror everything to a T what came before it. I guess I'm fortunate to be less knowledgeable when it comes to the comics, etc. and so I can be more forgiving.

Comment

With that dark hair, I thought she looked gooooooooooood. Does she act?

Comment

Personally i think she has a degree of arrogance about her but i still like her. Alot. Phwaar... fishnets.

Comment

I like her. But I guess I'm biased cuz shes one of my favorite DC comics characters,and her JLU interpretaion was pretty freaking awesome. So maybe I was just so fangirl excited to see her on SV that I overlooked anything to not be excited over, lol.

For anyone who doesn't know much about BC, watch the JLU episodes or pick up Simone's run on Birds of Prey!

Comment

Originally posted by KaraClarkfan
                    honestly, i do not get the knives thing myself. what's the purpose of those things anyway? i believe that her screams need to be advanced like the the black carnary on the cartoon show called...i think justice league of america or something. anyway, the cartoon version of her screams are better. does it said in the comics that she wears wigs?
                    Hey, I love the knives!

Comment

I don't think she resembles the Black Canary from the comics enough.
                      -M-

Comment

She's not hard to look at.

Comment

The decision to have her be in the selective JLA in this episode made sense. There's not too much Bart or Victor couldn't done in this instance, especially because Chloe pretty much IS Victor these days.

I think I liked her more in this episode than in her introduction episode. Maybe the reason people didn't like her introduction episode, "Siren" is because it didn't display her character like "Run," "Aqua," "Cyborg," or to an extent "Arrow," did.

I'm just a little upset that at this point they didn't give a nod to her future relationship with Ollie.

Comment

I like the Canary Cry from the show Birds Of Prey.

Comment

I like her - I'm glad they have more chicks that can kick some booty on the show. Right now they have three strong chicks they just need to give them a little more to work with. Her power is strange at times but I think that she has potential to be an interesting character.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperShazam!!
                                What did you want for her to break into tears, fall on her knees and beg for forgiveness. She did admit she was wrong, but she's a tough character and I think her 'my bad' attitude suited her character.
                                No. I would simply have liked to have been left with the feeling that she had actually learned her lesson and might - just might - take a glance to see who she was getting in bed with in the future before leaping between the sheets, so to speak.

I like arrogant characters. Look at my avi - she's got quite a bit of arrogance to her. But I like that when she's taken down a peg or two, she learns from it. *shrug* No, she doesn't fall to her knees and sob for forgiveness, but she does accept her mistakes and take them to heart.

The mask looks great! But yeh I agree its poorly conceived, however I dont think its meant to imply that she takes forever to go into costume
                                While probably not MEANT to imply it - I don't think we're supposed to infer that Batman takes forever to get in that skintight outfit of his, but I think if you think about it rationally, you'd have to wonder how many jars of Vaseline he has to go through to get into it - it's something I have a hard time getting around. Because it's all makeup, and that can take a while to apply. Not to mention that one good rainstorm and her mask is totally GONE, unless she fought with an umbrella in her hands.

I don't think that we're meant to take too much out of that, but it's one of those things that any girl who's gotten dressed for a date on a Friday night and had to deal with makeup would probably notice right off. I think that seriously needed to be rethought.

Not going to help to save someone being mugged. Well if you're saying that for her, say it for Oliver aswell. He doesnt wear his costume underneath his normal clothes, he would have to rush off and get changed aswell. They both have to change into costume, so if they were out on the streets then yes, she could save someone from being mugged.But if there was someone being mugged before her not as BC then Im pretty sure she'd save them rather than run off and change.

And yes I say that even knowing the teaser for 'Rage'. As if the muggers would be so slow to let oliver change and sneak out to the car park.
                                They were slow, weren't they? I'm just thinking that even with slow muggers in "Rage" the bad guys would have to be reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally slow for BC to be able to get that mask of hers done in the meantime. And, again, they would have to be out of the rain. She has to get into fishnets AND a lot of makeup! Two for the price of one!

She believed they were terrorists, she was misguided. Lets not forget how many times thats happend to Clark, he's fallen for many people's lies. E.G Brainiac/Milton Fine.

You cant expect to be totally heroic straight away. 1, This was the first time she was introduced, she made a few mistakes but made up for them. 2, Clark and Oliver have done more unheroic stuff than her:

If BC isnt heroic to you because of 'Siren', then heres some points to show how Oliver is much worse:

Oliver took a drug, got hooked on it, hit Lois, shot Lex.

Oliver didnt know BC had a power, but yet he fired 3 FREAKIN ARROWS at her! If she didnt have her power, then you must admit that would of killed her! Look what happened to Clark in 'Odyssey'.

Oliver had Lex kidnapped, and he was then subsequently tortured

Not heroic

Not at all.
                                Indeed. But the thing about Ollie was that at least we got to have him around for a few episodes so we got to see whether or not he actually took his lessons to heart - or even that there is some good to him even though he does bad things. And, again, I think I said I'd see where this new season took her - if I didn't say it outright, then I meant to. But when she was introduced, it seemed likely to me that it was a one-time thing and she might not or wouldn't be back. And so where they left her left a bad taste in my mouth.

Yes, this was the first thing we saw her do, by the way, but I kinda got the impression watching it that she was a little too good at what she was doing to infer that this was the first job she'd done ever.

Totally heroic I didn't expect. But I didn't feel much if any heroism coming off her at all in that episode, and that highly disappointed me.

I almost felt that they didn't want me to like her in the end. I felt like I was given plenty of reason to dislike her - from the "didn't bother to Google someone" in the beginning to the hitting a person tied up and defenseless to the attacking of Clark. And yet I wasn't given much reason to like her - certainly not enough to balance out the good and the bad. No, we didn't have much time with her, in that she only had an episode, and yet it seems to me like previous episodes introducing other JLAers, they weren't always doing good things (like Bart), but it seemed to me like the writers took the time to also try to make the audience like, feel connected to, care about, or at the very least see the good and/or feel sympathy for the character. I feel like they didn't bother this time - they gave a lot of bad and not very much if any good, IMO. I wasn't left feeling warm fuzzies in my heart that she and Ollie would end up together...or care particularly much what happened to her in future. If I was told she'd never show up again after watching "Siren" I'd have been perfectly fine with that. Whereas there are other characters I'd like to see again, if given the chance.

That they made her have attitude is fine. I like attitude, when done well, and I liked the verbal back and forth she had at times in the episode. But I do feel they dropped the ball with her. Again, there was a lot of bad and very few things I could point to and say I liked.

Well as you may tell, I think you've been way to harsh on her.
                                Which you may certainly feel. I was left with a bad impression of BC after "Siren." Future episodes may lessen that or remove it, but given that at the time it was possible that this would be the last time the audience would see her (I doubt at that time that they had concrete plans to bring her back), I think they could have done a much better job.

Oliver was a bully at school, a real jerk. But he isnt anymore, why cant you give BC a chance to learn from her mistakes? She's only been in 2 episodes.
                                And I will. I was simply asking the question posed to the group: Why do people who don't like BC feel that way about her character. At present, this is why I feel the way I do. If they give me a reason to see the good in her in future episodes, I may come to actually like, care about, or enjoy her scenes. But we'll have to see what happens because they have do actually have to take the time to get themselves out of the hole that they got themselves into - in my mind - with "Siren."

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by KaraClarkfan
                                honestly, i do not get the knives thing myself. what's the purpose of those things anyway? i believe that her screams need to be advanced like the the black carnary on the cartoon show called...i think justice league of america or something. anyway, the cartoon version of her screams are better. does it said in the comics that she wears wigs?
                                I think the knives are a good idea, actually. If you think about it, to rely only on the sonic scream would be either they'd have to spend a lot of money on CGI in her fight scenes (to show the cry) or they'd have to never (or almost never) show her. For people who like her character, that would be sad. And for people like myself who didn't like her character after "Siren" and are just going to see what happens with her in this season (if anything...any word on if she's coming back? I know Ollie is a regular, but I don't remember hearing future spoilers with BC), we'd never get the opportunity to decide if she's actually a likeable character at all.
                                Last edited by Jade4813; 09-20-2008, 07:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎