Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Like The Black Canary? (Dinah)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like her, too. She's smart, and was very efficient when Lex hired her. She has a cool, powerful ability, that can even knock Clark to his knees, she's skilled in fighting and she's beautiful. She's one of "the good guys" who chooses to use her abilities to fight injustice and crime. She believes in upholding the Law, because she even told Lex that, "..even the Rich don't deserve to be robbed." So far, what's Not to like?

Maybe because in the Comics, her association with Ollie has always been close. She becomes Oliver's Love interest and later, his wife. However, it's obvious that she's close in age to the rest of them and, most likely still has a lot to learn about the super hero business. Remember in "Siren" when she had the confrontation with Clark at the DP, and he told her that she needed to make sure she knew whose side she was fighting on if she wanted to fight for what's right? She had to re-evaluate her choices and decided she'd misjudged the circumstances and took a New Stand. Good Girl, & Good for her!

Now, if you still don't like her, it boils down to a matter of taste and personal opinion anyways, and doesn't everything? I do concede, though, that I didn't like the changes they made to Dinah's "Canary" mask or that ugly Wig she wore in the opening scenes.

'geminis', you and several others say that you don't like the way they do her "Canary Cry' ability. Well, maybe they have a special problem with which SFX to use for Soundtype abilities. Ever since Clark's Superhearing kicked in in Season 3, they've given us a new way each year to show when he's using it. Oh well...
    Last edited by Imzadia; 09-20-2008, 01:16 PM. Reason: Additional comment

Comment

I like her! I didn't know people didn't like her.

Comment

Originally posted by Estro-gen X
        badly cast and badly designed. The actress should grow her hair and now their IDs are blown she should stop wearing the painted on mask. Take away her knives and focus on the scream and her martial arts
        honestly, i do not get the knives thing myself. what's the purpose of those things anyway? i believe that her screams need to be advanced like the the black carnary on the cartoon show called...i think justice league of america or something. anyway, the cartoon version of her screams are better. does it said in the comics that she wears wigs?

Comment

She definitely rubbed me the wrong way in "Siren" though she was better in the premiere. Not sure she had a very high bar to jump there for me.

But since you asked...

I thought her attitude in "Siren" was rather gratingly "holier-than-thou" without much cause to be. She was working for Lex without bothering to look into him at all, to see who it was paying her bills. Which is fine, I suppose, if you have a character like Bella in Supernatural, who's all about the paycheck and makes that very, very clear that that's all that's important to her. But I found it rather incongruent with her attitude towards Clark.

At the end of the episode, she realized she'd been in error, but...I don't know...yes, she did go to Ollie and Clark and admit "oops, my bad" but I didn't really see a growth there towards "Wow, was that incredibly wrong of me or what and I'm sorry I did X, Y, and Z and I won't do it in the future." She may not do WHAT SHE DID again, but...*shrugs* I can't explain it. I just didn't see her as growing any more heroic in attitude at the end than she was at the beginning.

There's also something to be said for the ludicrousness of the painted on mask. How long, exactly, does it take to paint that on? I made some jokes about it after "Siren" because, while it looks nice, it really does narrow down the number of situations in which BC can really help. Only in cases where you see it coming, so she can take a half an hour or so to put on her mask. That was poorly conceived, and while I recognize that was a poor choice on the part of costuming/makeup/whatever, it, combined with everything else, really impacted my view of the character. She's not going to be able to help someone getting mugged on the street, but if there's a paycheck in it for her and she can plan ahead, she'll paint on that mask for ya and be ready to go.

She doesn't seem that heroic to me. That was my major problem with her. She just didn't come off as heroic.

She was willing to practically shatter Clark's eardrums to do a job for Luthor that could have gotten (and did get - his ears were bleeding, to my recollection) someone hurt. Chloe certainly, in that first scene, could have been injured if things had gone down differently - say, she'd known martial arts and tried to fight back. No, that didn't happen, but as far as BC knew going in...well, she didn't know how that would go down. So she was doing a job that could have gotten people seriously hurt - and yes, I think she knows how much damage her scream could do - without bothering to do a quick Google search first to see if she was on the side of the angels when she was kicking people around?

Not heroic.

Not at all.

THAT was my main problem with her character, and I'm not sure how fixable that is. I found her tolerable in the opening, but if they'd written her out, I wouldn't have minded a bit.

She risked injuring people by taking a job without bothering to do a 5 minute background check on her employer. Oh, yeah, and she hits people who are tied up and can't defend themselves. How is that heroic again? How is that something a "good guy" does?

And then, at the end, while she apologized, I at least didn't get the sense that this would never happen again. That she'd been at all humbled by the fact that she'd been sloppy, lazy, and her mistakes could have really gotten people hurt.

I like BC in everything else I've seen her in.

I hated her in Smallville.

To me, she just wasn't at all what a hero - or, hell, even a good guy - should be.

Comment

I liked her just fine. There's just not enough time for her to be "fleshed out." I would love to see an episode with her and Clark handling something, but just like GA, I don't want any Leaguer overshadowing Clark.

So, the character is kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.

(I love her powers, BTW. The sonic scream rocks--want to see it more often).

Comment

Originally posted by KaraClarkfan
              honestly, i do not get the knives thing myself. what's the purpose of those things anyway? i believe that her screams need to be advanced like the the black carnary on the cartoon show called...i think justice league of america or something. anyway, the cartoon version of her screams are better. does it said in the comics that she wears wigs?
              She used to wear a blonde wig to be black canary because she was a natural brunette. Now she doesn't shes a natural blonde.

Comment

I don't like her because the first time I saw her she looked like Pris from Blade Runner

Comment

I like her a lot!! She's a kick butt chick...whats not to like?

Comment

I think she is a great comic book chacter and was well used on the Justice league unlimited cartoon. Any fan of the chacter should pick up Birds of Prey by Gail Simone for the definitive take on the chacter she was completly bad ass with out sounding or acting like a man. But the Smallville chacter is not the same and chacter as the one many people enjoyed in the comics. again her apearence looks like Pris from Blade Runner right down to the wig and face paint.

Comment

I think she's ok on smallville, but I really liked the JL Unlimited version of her.

Comment

Originally posted by Jade4813
                        I thought her attitude in "Siren" was rather gratingly "holier-than-thou" without much cause to be. She was working for Lex without bothering to look into him at all, to see who it was paying her bills. Which is fine, I suppose, if you have a character like Bella in Supernatural, who's all about the paycheck and makes that very, very clear that that's all that's important to her. But I found it rather incongruent with her attitude towards Clark.

At the end of the episode, she realized she'd been in error, but...I don't know...yes, she did go to Ollie and Clark and admit "oops, my bad" but I didn't really see a growth there towards "Wow, was that incredibly wrong of me or what and I'm sorry I did X, Y, and Z and I won't do it in the future." She may not do WHAT SHE DID again, but...*shrugs* I can't explain it. I just didn't see her as growing any more heroic in attitude at the end than she was at the beginning.
                        What did you want for her to break into tears, fall on her knees and beg for forgiveness. She did admit she was wrong, but she's a tough character and I think her 'my bad' attitude suited her character.

There's also something to be said for the ludicrousness of the painted on mask. How long, exactly, does it take to paint that on? I made some jokes about it after "Siren" because, while it looks nice, it really does narrow down the number of situations in which BC can really help. Only in cases where you see it coming, so she can take a half an hour or so to put on her mask. That was poorly conceived, and while I recognize that was a poor choice on the part of costuming/makeup/whatever, it, combined with everything else, really impacted my view of the character.
                        The mask looks great! But yeh I agree its poorly conceived, however I dont think its meant to imply that she takes forever to go into costume

She's not going to be able to help someone getting mugged on the street, but if there's a paycheck in it for her and she can plan ahead, she'll paint on that mask for ya and be ready to go.
                        Not going to help to save someone being mugged. Well if you're saying that for her, say it for Oliver aswell. He doesnt wear his costume underneath his normal clothes, he would have to rush off and get changed aswell. They both have to change into costume, so if they were out on the streets then yes, she could save someone from being mugged.But if there was someone being mugged before her not as BC then Im pretty sure she'd save them rather than run off and change.

And yes I say that even knowing the teaser for 'Rage'. As if the muggers would be so slow to let oliver change and sneak out to the car park.

She doesn't seem that heroic to me. That was my major problem with her. She just didn't come off as heroic.

She was willing to practically shatter Clark's eardrums to do a job for Luthor that could have gotten (and did get - his ears were bleeding, to my recollection) someone hurt. Chloe certainly, in that first scene, could have been injured if things had gone down differently - say, she'd known martial arts and tried to fight back. No, that didn't happen, but as far as BC knew going in...well, she didn't know how that would go down. So she was doing a job that could have gotten people seriously hurt - and yes, I think she knows how much damage her scream could do - without bothering to do a quick Google search first to see if she was on the side of the angels when she was kicking people around?

Not heroic.

Not at all.
                        She believed they were terrorists, she was misguided. Lets not forget how many times thats happend to Clark, he's fallen for many people's lies. E.G Brainiac/Milton Fine.

You cant expect to be totally heroic straight away. 1, This was the first time she was introduced, she made a few mistakes but made up for them. 2, Clark and Oliver have done more unheroic stuff than her:

If BC isnt heroic to you because of 'Siren', then heres some points to show how Oliver is much worse:

Oliver took a drug, got hooked on it, hit Lois, shot Lex.

Oliver didnt know BC had a power, but yet he fired 3 FREAKIN ARROWS at her! If she didnt have her power, then you must admit that would of killed her! Look what happened to Clark in 'Odyssey'.

Oliver had Lex kidnapped, and he was then subsequently tortured

Not heroic

Not at all.

THAT was my main problem with her character, and I'm not sure how fixable that is. I found her tolerable in the opening, but if they'd written her out, I wouldn't have minded a bit.

She risked injuring people by taking a job without bothering to do a 5 minute background check on her employer. Oh, yeah, and she hits people who are tied up and can't defend themselves. How is that heroic again? How is that something a "good guy" does?

And then, at the end, while she apologized, I at least didn't get the sense that this would never happen again. That she'd been at all humbled by the fact that she'd been sloppy, lazy, and her mistakes could have really gotten people hurt.

I like BC in everything else I've seen her in.

I hated her in Smallville.
                        Well as you may tell, I think you've been way to harsh on her.

Oliver was a bully at school, a real jerk. But he isnt anymore, why cant you give BC a chance to learn from her mistakes? She's only been in 2 episodes.

To me, she just wasn't at all what a hero - or, hell, even a good guy - should be.
                        See Oliver points above.
                        Last edited by SuperShazam!!; 09-20-2008, 02:45 PM. Reason: spelt odyssey wrong, it bugged me

Comment

Well said Matt .

Comment

SV hasn't done enough with the character yet to move her from cardboard-cutout status.

Comment

Hey Imzadia, I'm aware of the sound limitations for a tv show; the look was never a problem, it's just I'm accustomed to the JLU and for me, Black Canary's cry was more high pitched instead of low. Gotta love technology though, it keeps advancing and making things look better and better.

nicmar, love the Blade Runner reference, and you're right, there are similarities but Alaina definitely doesn't have Darryl Hannah's gymnastics abilities.

And also, as far as the Canary Cry goes, if I'm not mistaken it only knocks normal human beings unconscious, and doesn't hurt them. It's at too high a decibel level. Clark, who is not a normal human being, and with his super sensitive hearing, is able to hear that register; which is something Black Canary would not have been aware of. Plus, she is still a rookie; this isn't the Justice League yet. Maybe she did try doing a background check and was mislead. Lex certainly would have to power and money to deceive people and Black Canary has neither to be able to see past his deceptions. Oliver does. Also, Black Canary is not a Boy Scout. She needs to worry about her income, she is human and she makes mistakes. Lighten up and give the girl a chance. But please, please, please, fix the makeup and wardrobe.

Comment

I didn't realize that she was disliked so much. I didn't know who she was till she showed up on Smallville. She is an independent woman with cool abilities and is trying to do the right thing by working with the Green Arrow and that's a good thing. To pick her apart because of the choice of clothing and disguise that was chosen for her seems harsh. The JLA are good but they aren't high on my "Must See" list so I see Black Canary as one of the gang and so like the others, whatever is chosen for her character is okay with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎