This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

They won't be ending smallville at mid season

Comment

Can someone tell me how to calculete 2.9/ 5 in millions?

Perhaps S8 will focus on closure now instead of stretching to S9.

If it gets bad ratings I'm mainly blaming the poor promotion it gets from the CW.
      Hardly. Smallville is not CW's intended demographic. Look at the CWTV lead in ad for the Smallville trailer --- it was for OB tampons for crying out loud. I don't think they had much dollars for Smallville ads and wasting it on the CW audience would not have changed these numbers.

There was more free advertisements (via interviews and spoilers) than last year by a LONG shot. ED was ubiquitous. I lost count after nearly a dozen. Perhaps if TW had engaged, but really, SV is a hard sell after 8 years.

Further, it's not like they were targeting anyone outside of mythos and Clois in their interviews. Look back at the giddy comments about Clois Clois Clois in the spoiler section.

But, regardless of pre-show spoilers, I honestly think the numbers reflect mostly the age of the show and the loss of MR and KK. Pimping mythos and Clois was not enough to have a new crowd come back. The show with big numbers (early seasons) was not what we saw last night -- SV has been praised for changing with the times but that doesn't mean it's going to draw in an audience that was never there.

I also agree, they'll finish S8.
      Last edited by SueB; 09-26-2008, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Wait for the finals and the DVR ratings and it probably jump at 5 million or a little bit more. Past ratings have been low but have a big come back with the DVR ratings which is now really really important.. And Smallville almost always is in the Top 5 of shows with more DVR Audience (this with big networks like NBC ABC FOX etc)
        Last edited by tariksam; 09-19-2008, 08:24 AM.

Comment

End Smallville mid-season - where has that come from? That sort of talk is really worrying

I think the lack of promotion does have an impact - there are loads of ways the CW could have promoted the season premiere if they had had a will to do so. You can't expect a massive audience if you don't make the effort to tell viewers how the show is moving on in a really organised and clever campaign.

Comment

I'm not tolling the bells for Smallville yet.

I DO think that the CW promoted Smallville badly. I know of several people - on this board even - who said they hadn't even realized that Smallville was premiering last night and it was only by chance that they caught it. And they're here on the internet boards. But the CW marketed Smallville BADLY. It's likely that, in general, only people who GO on boards were really clear about when SV premiered.

For those who don't go to boards like this...well, frankly, they might have given up on the show at the end of last season when it was clearly stalling out. And, not going on boards, they haven't realized yet that this year isn't going to be the same old thing of Clark moping over Lana and needing Chloe to act as his brain.

I'm not terribly surprised that Odyssey didn't take off, because unless I went on these boards, I wouldn't have known that Smallville wasn't going to be the same old same old this year and I wouldn't have tuned in. Hopefully, though, word of mouth will start to get around and we'll see an increase.

We'll have to wait and see.

But...er...also...Smallville isn't being cancelled mid-season, as far as I know. So I don't know what's up with that.

ETA: Also, Smallville doesn't have to fit 100% within their target demographic to be worthy of promotion. Far as I understand it, they can use all the viewers they can get.

Oh, and...I use tampons and I watch Smallville. So, going by your reasoning, if that's all they're looking for, then I'm just within their demographic.

Comment

Nahh Smallville is ignored it doesn't have a 90210 zip code, or Kristin Bell as narrator "Now a man of steel will be just across a desk of a mad dog, this will be interesting, until the next gossip, You know you love me"

Comment

These numbers will change, they are only fast affiliate numbers. They are also excluding Houston, Cincinnati, Columbus, Louisville and Dayton. I suggest everyone wait for the finals before they suggest that Clois brought down Smallville.

The people who write off DVR viewers as wasted need to understand that they now track commercial viewing on DVR's. So, that means no viewer is not counted or wanted.
                Last edited by JAMHEXXX; 09-19-2008, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Let me clarify on the CW promotion. If the CW is simply running commercials on the CW network, I really don't think that is the SV audience.

If the CW was to actually fork over cash for radio ads and print ads, that would be different and may have made a difference. But we should have seen that coming. The CW is paying "rock bottom price" for SV from all reports. It's an 8 year show. It was hoping the core audience would be retained, not expecting new.

There's no demographics numbers yet either. The demographic will go a long way if they are good. The DVR is still a debatable issue because the ads are skipped.

Regardless of ratings, I'm am positive S8 will finish out for DVD sales alone. My only comment is that S9 looks more iffy and for that I am grateful -- I don't want a S9 because they either stretch out Clark's story or do the show without him. Neither are good options IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by JAMHEXXX
                    These numbers will change, they are only fast affiliate numbers. They are also excluding Houston, Cincinnati, Columbus, Louisville and Dayton. I suggest everyone wait for the finals before they suggest that Clois brought down Smallville.
                    Duh it was clois and ED doing promotion that's why people didn't tuned in...

Comment

Originally posted by JAMHEXXX

Oh, that's interesting. I didn't know that.

So we're waiting on affiliates and DVR? (I DVRed it myself, last night, because I was in class until 8:15, and I wonder how many people who don't go on message boards DVRed it because that way, if it was as bad as last year (IMO, because this is what I'd have done if I didn't go on boards like this), they could fastforward through it to get to scenes they thought they might want to watch.)

So I agree. We should wait until the numbers come in before we judge.

I also don't think that the ratings for one episode are necessarily going to dictate what's going to happen with ratings the rest of the season.

Comment

I just love how Marc over at mediaweek is pimping Supernatural even though it received lower numbers then Smallville. He never seems to give Smallville its due.

Comment

The DVR ratings come in like 2 or three weeks but if we go by last year Smallville usually has like 900,000-1 million over their Live audience.

e.g arctic = preliminar = 3.471.000, final = 3.850.000, life+7 (DVR) = 4.521.000

Comment

Originally posted by SueB
                            Hardly. Smallville is not CW's intended demographic. Look at the CWTV lead in ad for the Smallville trailer --- it was for OB tampons for crying out loud. I don't think they had much dollars for Smallville ads and wasting it on the CW audience would not have changed these numbers.

There was more free advertisements (via interviews and spoilers) than last year by a LONG shot. ED was ubiquitous. I lost count after nearly a dozen. Perhaps if TW had engaged, but really, SV is a hard sell after 8 years.

Further, it's not like they were targeting anyone outside of mythos and Clois in their interviews. Look back at the giddy comments about Clois Clois Clois in the spoiler section.

But, regardless of pre-show spoilers, I honestly think the numbers reflect mostly the age of the show and the loss of MR and KK. Pimping mythos and Clois was not enough to have a new crowd come back. The show with big numbers (early seasons) was not what we saw last night -- SV has been praised for changing with the times but that doesn't mean it's going to draw in an audience that was never there.
                            Mostly everyone who's a true fan of the mythos has been gone from the series for awhile now, with all the dragging that has been done with Clark's character, it's about four seasons too late to make things right. And those who have stuck around with Smallville for what it was, for as long as it's been around who are the majority of the viewership, are now being alienated for a fandom that left a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by tariksam
                              The DVR ratings come in like 2 or three weeks but if we go by last year Smallville usually has like 900,000-1 million over their Live audience.

e.g arctic = preliminar = 3.471.000, final = 3.850.000, life+7 (DVR) = 4.521.000

Here are the Live+7 ratings for the first 12 Episodes of last season.

Bizarro............5.59 million
                              Kara................5.04 million
                              Fierce..............5.20 million
                              Cure................5.61 million
                              Action..............5.08 million
                              Lara................4.75 million
                              Wrath..............5.12 million
                              Blue.................4.90 million
                              Gemini.............4.05 million
                              Persona............4.34 million
                              Siren.................4.53 million
                              Fracture.............4.18 million

Comment

I consider myself a true fan of the mythos and I'm still here. I think a lot of people would also resent and disagree with that part of your statement. Eight years is a long time for a tv show; I'm pretty sure the majority of shows that go on for more than a handful of years all suffer a drop in viewing. (e.g., E.R. It lost George Clooney but still continues) Those people who are alienated, well, change and growth is difficult to accept. Dragging out the relationship with Lana was painful and got boring (IMHO). I'd definitely agree that Clark's progression has been at times painstakingly slow but with the changing of the guard, it looks like that might change. Because the CW slights, ignores and disrespects Smallville the general public (who might really enjoy the improvements) is probably completely unaware of the fact that Clark is finally taking some pretty major steps on the path to becoming Superman. And don't count out the fandom that is still here, just because of a small percentage that did leave.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎