Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does MR's portrayal make Lex a sympathetic character?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does MR's portrayal make Lex a sympathetic character?

I think he played him very human and in no way like a one dimenisonal villain.

Michael Rosenbaum has proven he is a gifted dramatic actor. His portrayal of the character of Lex over seven seasons moved from a caring mentor for Clark, through a tortured son of Lionel, to a man whose need to control everything around him resulted in his undoing. I don't see how anyone could say that Lex was a one dimensional character.

Comment

I completely AGREE with both of you, 'harryandginnyfanatic' and 'Humdinger', the way you summed up MR's portrayal of Lex Luthor. There was something about the "LnC" Lex that was 'looney', but he was still an interesting character. The Lex from All of the movies was always a Depraved, Crazed, supposed-to-be brilliant criminal mind, but I never really cared about him other than wanting him to be behind bars or in an asylum. Probably, because there wasn't enough background info. to raise him above being a one dimensional character. Michael's Lex made me care about him even when he was being evil. I felt conflicted about his well-being because he'd been such an abused and neglected child. MR's Lex, IMHO, is the best portrayal to date.

Comment

the difference between Gene Hackman's Lex and Michael Rosenbaum's Lex

With Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor in the original superman movies, you only see the crazed and power lusting criminal master mind that is Lex Luthor. you don't see Lex's journey to darkness and have less understanding on how Lex came to be the villian.

With Michael Rosenbaum's Lex Luthor in SV, you get to see Lex's backstory and his journey to darkness. And the reasons why he became the villain. but most importantly you get to see what caused Lex to become the villain. MR's portrayal of Lex did make Lex very sympathetic character but to a certain extent.
        Last edited by laurarawlins; 08-24-2014, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah, for sure. Rosenbaum made me such a huge fan of Lex Luthor. To the point where I found myself picking his side over Clark kent and the others..... even if he was on the "evil path". lol.

In fact I can't help but still think to this day that Lex Luthor in Smallville weren't truly evil at all... he was just doing questionable things because he thought this would save the earth, like with that whole Zod thing. Honestly, all the crap that happened to him wouldn't you think that an large army of aliens were coming to earth to take it over?? Especially since Clark and the others never bothered to tell him that they were already taking care of it, or that it was already over.

In fact I suspect that he would had never done most of the bad things he did, had Clark been a little bit upfront about some things like with the alien invasion thing. Then Lex would had been working with Clark, instead of against him. Sure, they would still argue a little bit over what were the best (or most moral) way to save earth, but they wouldn't be antagonistic towards each other.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎