104 31.23%
  • Alicia

9 2.70%
  • Other

13 3.90%
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DontCha View Post
    yes but he is not in love with Chloe Sullivan..It is totally platonic..Its an epic friendship though.
    lol yeah if it is an epic romance, what does it say when Chloe is dating another guy at the same time and Clark dating another girl up until the last episode of this season, maybe Chloe and Clark are swingers

... she didnt call him totally retarded..she says that the concept of hiding secrets from the people you love is "totally retarded."..she actually says "thats totally retarded" not "You're totally retarded in thinking that" in other words she thinks its a silly idea to hide secrets from those you love..and clark actually smiles. He wasnt offended. She didnt think he was retarded, only the notion.
    I didn't say she called him retarded. I said she called his way of thinking/reasoning retarded and we know that makes it okay, right? What about implying that he is useless?

are you only hearing what you want to hear when it comes to SVLois because you ship chlark?
    No, I just watch episodes and read the transcripts. I don't see what I want to see, I see what I see with reference to Chloe's cousin.

and it is a tad demaning to basically say "I'll shove some kryptonite in your face because you're getting too lovey dovey" like she does in that comic.
    I don't think that is demeaning at all. I think it is cute, actually. Comic Lois is wonderful. It only becomes demeaning when you begin to personally insult a person.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

yes but he is not in love with Chloe Sullivan..It is totally platonic..Its an epic friendship though.
    Of course, it has to be considered an epic "friendship" in an attempt to avoid the uneasiness of one cousin putting the moves on a guy who is in a complex relationship with her cousin.

----- Added 5 Minutes later -----

there have been 4 occasions where clark has appeared slightly hurt by what lois says
    What about the time in Phantom when she told him to make himself useful for once?

Or what about the time in Tomb when she asked him if he could go five minutes without doing something ridiculous?
    Last edited by Kalista; 06-02-2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I think numerous instances can be found of Lois being demeaning to Clark in other media. Fact is that she is written that way, whether people like it or not.

However, in the spirit of this poll, I will actually consider the question.

Lana: Well, I confess I really wanted to like Clana, but I was never able to do so. At least, not very far into the series. I just have never felt like the relationship these two people have is very healthy. They're both pretty, to be sure, but the writers have explored their relationship has ALWAYS turned me off. Romantically...and as friends, as well. I think even when they're not in relationships, Lana has been written to be very fickle and even cruel to Clark. If he warns her about, say, her relationship with Lex, she's very cold and harsh to him. I vaguely remember her even being extraordinarily and unnecessarily harsh to him in...I want to say Hug. Frankly, as friends go, I wouldn't have Lana on my side if you paid me, not with how I perceived she's treated Clark. Or, really, for how he's treated her. So Clana's out.

Chloe: Hmmm...well, I confess that at the beginning, I was really behind the Chlark relationship. Now I kind of want to travel to the past to smack myself. I liked the potential, but they either introduced it too soon or drug it on too long, because at a point, I thought Chloe was just getting the fuzzy end of that lollipop far too much and taking it over and over and over again. So romantically, my love of Chlark fizzled several seasons ago, although I personally wish that they'd explored it S2-S3. Still, there's only so many times Clark can treat Chloe like his backpocket girl that THIS girl can tolerate, so, romantically, I'm out on Chlark.

Friendship...*ponders* Well, I do think that friendship Chlark has been treated better than roma-Chlark, although I do still see some disparity in how much Chloe gives to the friendship and how much Clark gives. He still does seem to put her second to Lana, or at least he has. Even when it comes to her feelings. And, come to think of it, I couldn't imagine Chloe ever stabbing Clark in the gut and twisting the knife (like Clark asking for Chloe's advice in his sexual relationship with Lana) or Chloe not noticing patently obvious injuries on Clark's face...or even her not remembering that he hates peas (though he can't remember that she isn't fond of ham and swiss, even though she'd told him several times. That week). So, from a friendship standpoint, while I DO think that Clark genuinely cares for Chloe, I think he takes from her more than he gives in return. And that's not fair, and I can't really get alltogether behind that, either.

Alicia: Romantically...hm...well, I suppose it had potential. I like that she understood what it was like to be different. I disliked that she was bat***t crazy and was, at least for one episode, in the throng of people fixated of Lana. Of course. Because who isn't?

I was always sad that they killed her off when they did because I think it would have been interesting to see that relationship explored. Still, she DID drug him to be with him, though she DOES deserve points for having removed the red Kryptonite willingly, in the end.

At the same time, I reserve judgment on a Clark/Alicia friendship because, while I think there were things that she did wrong, I think there was also potential. Potential that went unexplored, so, given just what I have, I can't say that a relationship with a woman who 1) tries to kill his ex (and hurts her family), b) drugs him willingly, and c) tries to out him when she knows he doesn't want to be outed and, in fact, promised him she would keep his secret is particularly healthy. But she WAS also better in her second appearance than her first, in these terms, and she did seem to learn from her mistakes. Still, she took a bullet from him to PROTECT his secret and then showed Chloe what he could do to intentionally OUT his secret...? Yeah, there's judgment reserved on that.

Lois: Hmmm...Romantic Clois. Well, frankly, we haven't really seen much of it. What we've seen has been fun, but we haven't seen deep feelings from either side, frankly. At least not yet; whether we will in Smallville is a subject for debate, but I never anticipated it. So, from a romantic perspective, there isn't much to go on...yet. At least not anything that's been EXPLORED.

Friendship...well, I confess I do love the Lois/Clark interactions. I like how she doesn't take him too seriously and refuses to let him do so. When I think of this, I think of a comparison someone made once to the way the three girls relate to Clark. Clark said, in one episode, that he always felt like an outsider at school. If he'd said that to Lana, she'd have likely siad something about how they both felt like outsiders (as sad music plays and they probably were standing in a graveyard...and even though Lana was, by all accounts, the most popular and beloved girl to ever grace the front stoop of Smallville High). If he'd said that to Chloe, she'd have pointed out that a lot of people who feel like outsiders become great men. But he said it to Lois, and her response wasn't to either feed into it or to pass it off as something that will make him stronger someday. Her response was, "That's a recipe for wedgies if ever I heard one." She didn't feed into his woe-is-me image like Lana would or pretend it's a good thing like Chloe would. And I liked that, personally.

Of course, there are some things that I would have liked to have seen them do differently with Lois/Clark's friendship. Other than "Rage" though, I've liked their interactions overall. I just wish that I could see more of it! But I like the progression from "I can't stand this person" to realizing that there's more to the person than both gave the other credit for at first. I like that we're seeing them as friends. I like that the friendship we're seeing is generally healthy - not overloaded with demands to share all "secrets and lies" and not unequeal in its give-and-take, either.

In sass, Lois gives as good as she's got, but Clark takes it and gives just as good back. But also in actually caring about each other and being there for the other. Lois being there for Clark in "Arctic" was really just a flip of Clark being there for Lois in "Siren" when she was crying over Ollie. I like that one person's not doing all the crying and the other person's always being the one with the shoulder. And I like that neither party lets the other use him/her as a doormat to any degree.

All in all, I like Clark/Lois friendship the best. As far as romance goes...well, the jury's still out on that. I suppose we'll have to wait until S8 comes on the air to see how Clark's next relationship plays out...if he has a new one next season.

Kalista

well the lois in that comic seems to think his way of thinking is rather retarded and implies it out loud...she thinks its silly to be so lovey dovey, you dont need fancy, lovey dovey words to show how much you care, just be true to that person

Clark is saying that gestures like hiding yourself for the person you love shows how much you love them, Lois disagrees. She thinks its better that a person just be honest and true. You dont need gestures

much like whats happening in that comic scene
    Last edited by DontCha; 06-02-2008 at 12:41 PM.

Kalistawell the lois in that comic seems to think his way of thinking is rather retarded and says it out loud...she thinks its silly to be so lovey dovey, you dont need fancy, lovey dovey words to show how much you care, just be true to that person
    There is no way the two situations can be compared. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto_marcus View Post
    Lois always makes Clark smile, and all their scenes are awesome!
    Ah yes. Those wonderful Lois motivated smiles.

I also love the banter between them and the independence they maintain even while working together. Clark and Lois are fun and for the most part angst free. Even though they haven't entered romantic territory yet I vote for Lois.

Quote Originally Posted by Jade4813 View Post
    Friendship...well, I confess I do love the Lois/Clark interactions. I like how she doesn't take him too seriously and refuses to let him do so.

In sass, Lois gives as good as she's got, but Clark takes it and gives just as good back. But also in actually caring about each other and being there for the other. Lois being there for Clark in "Arctic" was really just a flip of Clark being there for Lois in "Siren" when she was crying over Ollie. I like that one person's not doing all the crying and the other person's always being the one with the shoulder. And I like that neither party lets the other use him/her as a doormat to any degree.

All in all, I like Clark/Lois friendship the best. As far as romance goes...well, the jury's still out on that. I suppose we'll have to wait until S8 comes on the air to see how Clark's next relationship plays out...if he has a new one next season.
    Yes! Their relationship is so refreshing. I'll never forget "Reunion" and how Clark was about to go on one of his self pity/it's all my fault/Lana rants and Lois completely cut him off. Said two sentences about how Lana made the "questionable decision" to date Lex on her own and that fast the subject is changed! LOL!
    Last edited by ginnyfan; 06-02-2008 at 12:49 PM.

they can be compared. Things can be said in similar ways and not be exact.

In that comic, she obviously doesnt like it when clark is being all lovey dovey, saying how much he cares..she'd rather he just show her it hence the "just kiss me" in other words just get down to the basis of it, no nonsense please

Clark is saying that people hide secrets because they love a person.. Lois thinks its better to just be true and have no nonsense there..just the basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalista View Post
    I don't think that is demeaning at all. I think it is cute, actually. Comic Lois is wonderful. It only becomes demeaning when you begin to personally insult a person.
    And yet, again, Smallville Lois isn't the first to do this to Clark. I don't have comics with me to break them out (although I daresay a number of references could be found therein), but in LnC, Lois was talking about Superman and said he had eyes that were rich and chocolate (or something), "Not MUD brown like Clark's! It's like evolution! Clark is the before! Superman is the AFTER!" And then she looks at Clark and says derisively, "Make that the way, WAY after."

Pretty derisive by any accounting.

EDIT: Incidentally, BTW, Lois in LnC said that totally seriously, with a straight face and an eyeroll. In Smallville, Lois said it almost laughingly and was grinning. So, of these two, Smallville's Lois could be said to have been derisive towards Clark in a teasing manner in this instance whereas LnC's Lois was GENUINELY derisive towards Clark.

Fact of the matter is, that's how Lois is written. You may not like it, but you can't say that Smallville's the first time she's been written that way.

Of course, it has to be considered an epic "friendship" in an attempt to avoid the
    uneasiness of one cousin putting the moves on a guy who is in a complex relationship with her cousin.
    Um...okay...or, you know (since you keep saying you're going by what you SEE not what you WANT to see), it COULD be because we've not seen anything romantic between Chloe and Clark in a long time now. The annual kiss has gone away a few seasons ago. Chloe's now in a relationship with Jimmy, and whether you think she really wants to be with Clark (which I would hope she doesn't, at least consciously, or its a pretty crappy and dishonest thing she's doing to be with Jimmy now in a serious romantic relationship), there's no real indication that she does, in fact, want to be with him.

I think the last real reference that I could credit off the top of my head is from "Cure" when she said there was someone she wanted to see again, and CURTIS KNOX asked, "A high school sweetheart?" (or whatever his words were exactly). True, she didn't say anything in response one way or another, but given that in the entire rest of the episode, her main concern was trying to make sure JIMMY didn't let her forget him and move on, I think it's a fair bit of fanwank to assume that she would have said, "Yes! Exactly! Clark!" And, also, there's something to be said that this was KNOX'S assumption, not anything SHE said, and I'd hardly take the psychopathic killer's word on her feelings, given that he never even saw Chloe and Clark together. He was just making an assumption, and the writers were tossing out bones, IMO, by not having her reply.

I was personally wishing for Chloe and Clark to date. Several seasons ago. That moment passed for me, and, from what I see, it pretty much passed for the writers as well. They do like to try not to lose viewers, though.

I'd call it an epic "friendship" because that's as far as it's ever gotten. Yes, Chloe and Clark may have once THOUGHT about taking it farther, but, save for one dance (that Clark left early to go save Lana), if either of them has either thought about taking it to the next level, they both have consistently failed to be on the same page at the same time. And, regardless, what I SEE when I watch Smallville is a lack of the writers' really going for broke and showing romantic love between Clark and Chloe. If they were hellbent on doing so, why haven't these two characters kissed in years? Clark being hung up on Lana never stopped them in the past!

Of course, you could choose not to see that the romance has been left behind, if you so choose, because you'd like to see Chlark romance in the future. People can choose to see what they want, I expect, but that doesn't mean that it's what the writers are trying to show us...or, indeed, HAVE been showing us.
    Last edited by Jade4813; 06-02-2008 at 12:57 PM.

they can be compared. Things can be said in similar ways and not be exact.

In that comic, she obviously doesnt like it when clark is being all lovey dovey, saying how much he cares..she'd rather he just show her it hence the "just kiss me" in other words just get down to the basis of it, no nonsense please

Clark is saying that people hide secrets because they love a person.. Lois thinks its better to just be true and have no nonsense there..just the basis.
    I don't think the situations are comparable because ComicLois is not insulting him. I find that conversation loving and playful.

Y'know Jade, you should consider puting all your posts in a word document and posting it somewhere for download, since they'd sure as hell make for good reading

Seriously, nice evaluation of all four girls.

IMO, friendship-wise, Clois is the best, and romance-wise, IMO, all of Clark's romances were poorly done, except maybe for that [American Indian girl] in S1 (forgot her name), but since she was only for one epi, and not that much screentime was given to her, I guess they didn't have time to screw it up. If she would've been in 3-4 epis, that would've sucked too probably.
    This is one of the reasons I actually hope romantic Clois will only be in the final episode... so they don't have time to screw it up with all the freakin drama .This isn't The O.C. for Pete's sake!
    Last edited by STFanatic; 06-02-2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Violation of KryptonSite Rule #4

Quote Originally Posted by sherban1988 View Post
    Y'know Jade, you should consider puting all your posts in a word document and posting it somewhere for download, since they'd sure as hell make for good reading

Seriously, nice evaluation of all four girls.
    Thank you! I'm flattered!

I am generally disappointed with how Smallville has handled romantic relationships. Did these writers not progress emotionally beyond the age of 13 or something? Because they don't seem to know how to write healthy, loving, romantic relationships as a general rule.

I for one am perfectly happy not to have romantic Clois really explored...just hinted at or, as you said, shown at the end. Better that than have it ruined like they've ruined in the way that, IMO, they've ruined both Clana and Chlark.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalista View Post
    I didn't say she called him retarded. I said she called his way of thinking/reasoning retarded and we know that makes it okay, right? What about implying that he is useless?
    She actually thought the idea was retarded not the fact he thought it was retarded. And it didnt insult him..because it wasnt a personal insult.

She basically says "hiding who you are from the person you love is stupid" and this makes clark smile. Because that is exactly what he wants in a woman. And yes Chloe is like this towards him all the time but she doesnt have the same effect on him when she does it. She cant ever make him feel ok about his powers... Chloe is constantly trying to tell clark to accept his powers and he never listens to her. Heck he didnt even stay for her when she said she needed him..she cant mean THAt much to him if he didnt even take this huge personal feeling from chloe into account.

It is slightly demeaning when you're pouring your heart and soul out to someone and they practically tell you to shut up.

But she loves him, she just expresses it in a different way. He thinks its best to make gestures, where as she thinks its best to just be raw and at the truth of it all. Whcih does eccho what happened when he said hiding yourself proves how much you love someone. She disagrees she thinks being raw and true is what matters.

Of course, it has to be considered an epic "friendship" in an attempt to avoid the uneasiness of one cousin putting the moves on a guy who is in a complex relationship with her cousin.

ay?

What about the time in Phantom when she told him to make himself useful for once?
    Or what about the time in Tomb when she asked him if he could go five minutes without doing something ridiculous?[/quote]

what about when she said "I'd be lucky enough to ever find someone as honorable as clark one day" to someone other than clark?

Im telling you, when she's mean to clark its just a front, she doesnt want him to know how much she actually likes him as a man. Its like she has a guard up towards clark when he's around but when he's not, she'll tell the truth about him. Imagine if he heard her say that i wonder what he would think.

actually..when she had no guard up around him in Apocalypse, his smile said it all.
    Last edited by DontCha; 06-02-2008 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jade4813 View Post
    I'd call it an epic "friendship" because that's as far as it's ever gotten.
    Your reasons for calling it an "epic friendship" vary from others. Some refuse to see it any other way because they are uncomfortable with the thought of Clark dating Chloe's cousin.

Heck he didnt even stay for her when she said she needed him..she cant mean THAt much to him if he didnt even take this huge personal feeling from chloe into account.
    I don't what to tell you except to go back and watch every instance where Clark loses his mind because Chloe is hurt or is dead. So obviously, she means alot to him.
    Last edited by Kalista; 06-02-2008 at 04:47 PM.

Chloe

She actually thought the idea was retarded not the fact he thought it was retarded. And it didnt insult him..because it wasnt a personal insult.
    Telling someone that their reasoning is "retarded" is not a personal insult?

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast