View Poll Results: Did Al/Miles sabotage Smallville after finding out they wouldn't be in season 8?

Voters
206. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the way this season progressed afterwards showed clear signs of this

116 56.31%
  • No, I thought the ideas & their execution after the announcement were great

90 43.69%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Did Al & Miles sabotage Smallville towards the end?

As soon as I learned that Al & Miles would leave, I wondered if they would sabotage the show before they left because they knew they weren't coming back.

The first half of the season was very interesting and had great potential. But then, in Persona, Bizarro just became another BDA who got obsessed with Lana. We also had a promising Julian clone arc that led to nothing (I would think that would cause a war between Lex & Lionel). And then came the destruction of Smallville's mythology with the Veritas plotholes (how did Lionel know Clark would show up the day he did, etc) and contradicting the story behind Krypton's destruction as it was told in Vessel & Kara (being Zod's fault & a result of war) compared to the way it appeared in Apocalypse and (from what I hear) in Kara & the Chronicles of Krypton (being Zor-El's fault and a result of the supernova of the Kryptonian sun).

And after all this, the season ended with what was a fizzled out ending between Clark and Lex when everyone was waiting 7 years for something spectacular.

I really am starting to lean towards thinking that they sabotaged the show after they knew they wouldn't be in charge in season 8. And after reading about some of the ideas that will happen next season, I have to think that if they came from Al/Miles (not sure if this is the case), then I really wonder if those ideas are coming from someone who actually cares about the show.

Anyway, please vote in the poll. Thanks.

I've voted "no", because I really don't think they would sabotage a show, which is/was actually their "baby", so to speak. Maybe they didn't put much effort into the show lately, but I highly doubt that they would do anything to harm the show.

Hmmm...well, I've heard people wonder if these last five eps weren't in fact more or less what they'd wanted to do with the show in the very end. Ever since I've heard that suggestion, I've wondered if it had merit. If it is, was it intentional sabotage, or just a rather lame ending?

It's an interesting question though. One that I shall have to think over before I vote.

I think they wanted to wrap up the show this season, but after the writer's strike and finding out that season 8 was set to happen, they had to change the way they envisioned season 7 ending. That's my pure speculation. I voted "no" they did not sabotage the ending. They were just at a bad place and had no choice but to give us the ending that they did.

Forum Regular
    Well, considering the way Clark's character had been deconstructed this season, I'd tend to answer "Yes". But I hope that it is a "No" and that the strike brought out the worst in the show runners and the writers. I guess next season will answer my question whether this show is at all interested in telling Clark's story, or not.

I voted no, but I did not think the execution was great, I thought it was good but could have been better. Al and Miles did not have that much involvement towards the end, so I seriously doubt they intentionally sabotaged the show.

I think the writer's strike played a role. It was both a curse and a blessing. Knowing there was the potential for a strike, I think the writers made a conscious effort to put more into the first half of the season relating to Superman Mythology (or rather their interpretation of it) than has been emphasized in recent years. The addition of Kara also justified this because with learning more about Kara's back story, we also learned more about Clark's.

Then the strike came and if "Veritas" would have been the season finale at episode 15, it would have felt too rushed, as they tried to pack everything into two episodes. But then once the strike ended, they really had to work fast to write those episodes, so they probably cut down time by just expanding out everything from "Veritas". It was good there was extra time devoted to that aspect of the show, but there is fine line, I think they spent maybe too much time on it with only cursory connections to the first half of the season or so. There wasn't enough integration of Pre-Veritas stuff in Season 7 and post-Veritas, so it seemed like the last portion was just tacked on.

One problem with the season even before the strike started was the use of Kara. They were eager to bring her in, but the storyline just sort of meandered. I would much rather had her show up for a good number of episodes in a row, go off on her own, and THEN come back for the last few episodes. Sort of like what they were potentially going to with Green Arrow (where he was there for the first dozen episodes off and on, and then was potentially going to come back for the finale but that didn't work out). As opposed to Kara's there then leaves, then back again and gets amnesia and disappears, then comes back, gets her memory back and then leaves again.
    Last edited by Vergon6; 05-24-2008 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xrayvision View Post
    I really am starting to lean towards thinking that they sabotaged the show after they knew they wouldn't be in charge in season 8.
    OK. Al and Miles are each 40 years old; they're not retiring from show business any time soon, and they clearly value their careers. What would sabotaging a show for a major entertainment conglomerate do to their livelihoods?

Warner Exec #1: "Gough and Millar sabotaged that cashcow Smallville before they left."
    Warner Exec #2: "Great! Hire them right away to work on our next huge summer action movie and give them my new Lear jet."

Now, I exercise Occam's Razor, which as you may know postulates that the simpler explanation for something is probably true and the more complicated explanation probably isn't true. I compare these two scenarios:
    • AlMiles are not perfect. Mistakes and misjudgments occur. Ergo, their ideas aren't always perfect and the shows they produce aren't all perfect.
    • AlMiles ARE perfect, always succeed at everything, and ignore the DVD commentary for "Thirst" where they ridicule their own work -- they're only kidding. So anything they make that's less than perfect has to have been a product of a conspiracy to foul it up deliberately.

I just don't see how the second of those two is the simpler and more likely.

AND. I'm not voting for either of your two poll options because I'm capable of saying something wasn't so good without necessarily accusing someone of sabotage.
    Last edited by dsv100; 05-24-2008 at 04:08 PM.

I don't get why some people have a beef with the post strike stuff. Except for "Sleeper," I thought it was great. They were all connected through various plot lines, and they were entertaining to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkyBoy14 View Post
    I don't get why some people have a beef with the post strike stuff. Except for "Sleeper," I thought it was great. They were all connected through various plot lines, and they were entertaining to me.
    I thought the episodes were pretty good as well, and there was interconnections between the Veritas storyline and past seasons, but in some ways it felt the last five episodes felt a bit tacked on in terms of an overall arc for the season. But I suppose things shifted really in "Persona" where Bizarro was destroyed and Brainiac definitely re-emerged. They probably should have had Bizarro last longer until the season finale, and have him defeated then.

Totally Obsessed jimmyolsenblues's Avatar
    maybe it was not almiles, maybe they loved the show and the network would not fund their ideas?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyolsenblues View Post
    maybe it was not almiles, maybe they loved the show and the network would not fund their ideas?
    And maybe the network, with its focus on young women, put pressure on them to add things and take away others until the creators didn't recognize their own show any more and lost interest.

I think they might have sabotaged the show. I mean come on, Veritas was the laziest story telling I've encountered so far on this show. There were questions that led to more questions and nothing was really answered and it had a really crap ending. I hated it and I think they did it deliberately

New In Town
    I'm not sure. I think that at the inception of the show they perhaps had an overview or Grand Plan for the series based on what they hoped to accompllish overall -- an opening and a closing. The multiple seasons and episodes are simply a "machina " for getting from here to there. Can you accomplish that in seven seasons; eight? Plus you cannot rule out the unexpected. NO one could forsee the tragic death of Christopher; what if he was originally supposed to be Clark's earthly guide. The whole Veritas arac would have been wholly different if CR had lived.
    And who could have predicted the Writers' strike? I think those two "real world" events significantly impacted the overall direction and Grand Plan for the series.
    Now that Al/Miles are gone, perhaps including the "no flights/no tights" dictum, the writers and new powers that be can resurrect the series [not that it's dead in the first place] and give the fans like you and me a dynamite season 8.
    The best Season 8 for me: adherance to the comic book mythos, learning to fly, Clark accepting his destiny, some explanation of where the blue suit and cape came from, and a Season 8 Finale with a final scene of Clark/Superman swooping out of a reconstructed FOS to fight for truth, justice, etc. Just put TW's face on the original from the '70s [or whenever]

BTW, I'm a newbie here, and have lurked for about three years before deciding to register and make my self heard. I used ot read the Superman comics back in the 40s and 50s, so I'm no spirng chicken. Regards to all on the site. P.S. I hope I put this in the right place! "Bob-El"

I'm not sure either, but for a moment there I was scared they'd take Chloe with them. I mean look at what happened to the Lionel character.

Probably not. But 2 things have been clear to me in regards to Gough/Millar for a long while now...

1. They really don't care much for the character of Clark Kent. He doesn't interest them much at all, and I expect he's occupied a fairly low place on their totem pole for a while. I think this got progressively worse as the seasons progressed. I think this attitude comes across loud and clear in the show itself (particularly in the last 2 seasons), and I think its also evident in their interview comments, and answers they've given to fans questions. IMO, the last champion the Clark Kent character had on the writing staff was Jeph Loeb.

2. They have a fairly odd concept of how they want to tell this story. They seem to find unambigious heroism and morality boring and unentertaining. They seem to think Clark becoming Superman should be a tragedy. And they've never seemed particularly concerned for characters beyond SV, so they seemed to have taken certain liberties with the characters in the present day which impacts how the viewers can image their future. Which I've never seen them care about one bit. I actually think there's a quote from one them where they actually say "its not our problem". That quote sums up AlMiles perfectly, IMO.

And sadly, I suspect they've just left their stepchildren in charge for S8.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast