Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Lana really the one holding Clark back?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shawn316
    First of all, these characters are fictitious, therefore the only ones holding them back are the writers themselves. Secondly, Lana gets the major flack for holding Clark back, but I personally feel that it's the writers over dependence on the Chloe character. In order to maintain her importance, they have over emphasized her role and have made Clark depend on her way too much. Just look at every episode when she isn't around...Clark magically mans up and begins to act on his own.
    In defense of Chloe, half the time he is whining about Lana to her. Beyond that since taking out Pete, Johnathon and Martha, they made Chloe the only person he can run to(ie everytime somebody leaves the show they just put that characteristic on Chloe to the point she now is just the plot device people run to when they need help and her own storyline takes a backseat). That being said, i do agree they should make him more independant and do the crime fuighting stuff more himself alone(and let her be the friend/parent role giving advice on personal issues).

If that's the case though(wanting him being more independant and you can't blame writers) I would say the bulk of the blame goes on Clark himself if you take what the writers give you, but i do agree the writers use Chloe as an easy out to often.

I am hoping next season with Chloe going to jail, they will make Clark realize he shouldn't rely on her as much and has to do stuff for himself in order to protect her a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysRight
      In defense of Chloe, half the time he is whining about Lana to her.
      Just like I said; No Chloe = no one for Clark to "whine" to. Therefore leading him to actually deal with the situation. But then again, this wouldn't please the fans that are watching this show for the teenage drama. I am a firm believer in that Chloe's character is the glue that holds this show into being just a teenage drama...a la Dawson's Creek.

I agree with you that writers needed to fill the role of Jonathan and Pete, therefore looked to Chloe. However, there were far better choices...Lionel, John Jones, and best of all JOR-EL! But I guess Clark turning to his father for advice and counsel, instead of Chloe, would not be very Superman-like???

Comment

Just like I said; No Chloe = no one for Clark to "whine" to.
        My basic a point is if he doesn't whine to Chloe they would just find another person for him to whine to

I agree with you that writers needed to fill the role of Jonathan and Pete, therefore looked to Chloe. However, there were far better choices...Lionel, John Jones, and best of all JOR-EL! But I guess Clark turning to his father for advice and counsel, instead of Chloe, would not be very Superman-like???
        Actually Chloe was a good substitute for Pete, although might be nice with him having a male friend to talk about chicks with(maybe Jimmy???) but replacing the Kents much harder(not saying your picks are bad i might go for a more human friendly John Jones) because the Kents were always his link to humanity. Lionel is just to shady and Jor-EL was made out to be to malevolent(yet another issue i have with writing). I sort of wished TPTB would do everything in there power to try get Martha back next season but that doesn't look like it will happen.

You could also go with Ollie, but if they go that route it sort of cheapens Clark becuase Ollie is everything alot of us want Clark to be and would make Clark look weak in comparison(mentally at least). I think it was sort of the same thing with Kara this season, while i liked her character, alot of times i think her character outshined Clark(so they good in small doses but to much can be a bad thing)
        Last edited by AlwaysRight; 05-17-2008, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Young
          Lana told Clark that she was the one holding him back but I don't believe that at all.

Clark could've went for his destiny so many times but never did. He had basically all of season 6 to become Superman but he didn't.

Clark was the one holding himself back...not Lana.

That's just my two cents. Anyone else agree?
          I agree it is his choice alone to continue or not his training and not anyone else's the PTB got way too many letters from the canon character haters and sadly bowed to their demands after all...

Comment

But he had so many human feelings also martian manhunter told that and so did jor-el tell clark that was the thing that was his greatest strength but also his greatest weakness , so i have to say that lana made him weak in a way

Comment

Clark should blamed himself for not progressing.But,it's not easy to be a hero,he got to think about all the dangers out there.The people that he loves will always be a target for his ennemis and the woman he loves got to be ready to share him with the world.That's why it takes a really strong woman who can deal with that issue.Fortunely,Lana grew a brain and saw that she's not the one who can push in that direction.

Comment

no i don't think lana was holding him back it was his own choice not to follow his destiny and nobody is to blame but his self

Comment

Maybe no one has been holding Clark back. Maybe he is right where is supposed to be at this particular time in his life. He is Clark Kent; not CK a.k.a Superman. Not yet. He stumbles but don't we all? Yeah, he is more powerful than we are; just means his stumbles are bigger. He has had a big dose of humanity, and now it's time to put that humanity in perspective. Many people make goofy youthful mistakes; most recover. Clark will too.

Comment

Of course it's the writers, but (IMHO) in the story:

Clark's desire to be normal holds him back (this includes, but is not limited to his desire for a normal relationship with Lana).

Clark's dependence on Chloe to do so much of his thinking holds him back.

Clark’s antithapy towards Jor-El (who seems to want to push Clark towards his Superman destiny) holds him back.

Clark’s feelings of guilt (at least prior to Apocalypse) have held him back. There have been times Lana (and other characters as well) have said or done things to reinforce his guilt.

So, while it’s mainly Clark holding himself back; Lana, Chloe, and even Martha and Jonathan have at times acted as his enablers.

Comment

Well, maybe Clark used Lana as the excuse to hold himself back. I just don't see how Clark couldn't have moved forward if he wanted. Lana gave him plenty of opportunities. Even marrying Lex Luthor didn't push him to move on. How is that Lana's fault?

Comment

I don't think it was really lana, he may have been focused on her but he let himself do that. If clark really wanted to accept his destiny he could have at any time. Once again I wish we had "happy" clana moment before they ended it for good. o well lana was prob right to do it

Comment

Originally posted by eas
                          Well, maybe Clark used Lana as the excuse to hold himself back. I just don't see how Clark couldn't have moved forward if he wanted. Lana gave him plenty of opportunities. Even marrying Lex Luthor didn't push him to move on. How is that Lana's fault?
                          The canon character haters have and will always find an excuse to hate Lana and all canon characters period, it is the nature of the beast, and now they have won, it is the "Chloe Sullivan show" now!

Comment

Originally posted by eas

Of course,when she married Lex Luthor that didn't push him to go forward.It's the worst thing she could have done.Look how relieved he was when heard that she was married and was really happy in Apocalyspe.It's all he wants is her happiness.He knew that she was going to be miserable with Lex for the rest of her life.He will go forward if he is certain that his friends and relatives will be fine and truly happy.But,he got to understand that his destiny is to save mankind,it's not a game that you can play whenever he wants and he can't hold himself back forever.

Comment

In season 8, Clark needs to go after Lana and convince Lana that their love will not hinder Clark's mission.
                              Clark needs Lana so that their love will serve as the foundation for Clark's mission.
                              Clark also cannot help everyone and it is ok for Clark to help Lana more bec. Lana is also important and Lana is also worth helping.
                              Lana should not sacrifice their love just so Clark can help one or 2 more people.
                              Clark also needs Lana's support in fulfilling the mission.
                              I hope Lana comes to her senses and stop sacrificing their love in trying to help more people.

Comment

Clark is using Lana as an excuse to be held back... but no Lana herself isn't holding Clark back, it's all Clark.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎