No announcement yet.

What the hell are TPTB doing to Chloe?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LexLuv180
    I guess I'm the only one who thinks Chloe's development is still fine.
    You are not the only one. Ever consider that the writers hated how Chloe has been written in this inhumanly saint manner, just like some anti-Chloe fans? Yes we are out there. The Anti Chloe movement exists. Maybe they are just trying to give her some color, make her more interesting? As far as I'm concerned her development has been at a still stand ever since the end of the fifth season and it is part of why I dislike her.

So, instead of thinking they are tying to sabotage her... maybe they are just trying to make her more interesting? Maybe you don't like where the development is going, but there is nothing there to suggest they are doing it out of some spite to make people dislike her. I mean, she has pretty much been written as a hero, she rescued Clark, she works for the JLA, she has some mad skills with the computer, etc. Not journalist, doesn't equal "next villain to be hated" IMO.

I personally don't think this is her last season and if she is to be a part of the next chapter she must be revamped or it would become boring. And who is to say that her development won't be for the better, and it might even change my opinion of the character and I might start liking her.

I find it hard to believe that the writers would try to make any character look bad simply for the purpose of making another character look good. That would be highly pointless, IMO.

Comment

I just posted this in another thread...but I will just copy and paste it...since it basically tells you all how I feel on the matter!

I'm sorry people....but I think everyone is completely over reacting.
      I dont think Chloe's character is ruined at all...or anything close. She is trying to look out for the best interest of her friend. Sometimes you have to stop looking at it as Chloe talking to the future superman,...and see it as a girl trying to save her best friend and the man that she loves. Are you all telling me none of you would act the same? I know I would.

I mean..look at what happend tonight. Jimmy (who by the way....did an excellent job tonight!!!) brought her some compelling evidence that pointed to the fact that it was going to come down to good vs. evil or...clark vs. Lex. That one wouldn't walk away. the picture of the man on the slab was accurate...so why shouldn't Chloe believe this could potentially be accurate as well??

I FULLY admitt, I dont want to see superman murder anyone...but it's either one person (lex) or potentially hundreds of people if Lex takes control of him. I actually found myself agreeing with Mr. Teague tonight. He was totally nuts...but right. Clark needs to learn to step up and do whats best for the greater good. He always just looks at the immediate picture. (hence why he was sitting in a hospital with lana instead of trying to help chloe bring down brainiac).

Which is why Chloe is sooooo important to the show. Clark has the view of a child almost...very much black and white. Where Chloe....is the gray area. She was just pointing out the opposite tonight. That if you dont kill lex....and he finds out you are the travellor....then you have to die. Either way....one of you has to go. Of course she would prefer Lex, who wouldnt?

As far as Chloe being with Jimmy still...and the other numerous reasons people feel Chloe's character is going down hill....is simple. It was obvious to me tonight, more then ever...that Chloe uses Jimmy as a release. I know....it's not right for Chloe to use the poor guy, but its not like he's kicking and screaming. The fact that Jimmy had news and Chloe wanted to have sex....kind of shows where Jimmy stands with her. He always comes up with crazy ideas...and chloe just wanted to (for once) take her mind off of that stuff... and thats what jimmy is for her. A brief escape from the daily apocalypse that is her life.

So...I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree. I dont think Chloe's character is ruined or tainted. I honestly think...she just isnt the naive high school girl she was years ago. She knows life isnt fair...and sometimes sacrafices have to be made. Clark is the eternal optomist....he waits for problems to come screaming at his door before he does anything about them. But this problem (him being taken over) is something he cant stop. So chloe is basically telling him....he has options and a way to nip this in the bud before it becomes a problem. Like I said before....she has to play the devils advocate because clark is incapable of seeing anything in the gray area.

Dont yell!! haha. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Come on guys, what do u expect. Unlike alot of the characters on the show they CREATED Chloe's character and therefore can do whatever they please with her. I hate to be brutal but, the character's future is one of the only unclear ones and non canon. U guys should be grateful that they have written her character so well, over the years.

Who do you think wrote her initial storylines to begin? Who wrote all the things you love about the character? They DIDNT HAVE TO MAKE HER JOIN THE DP, THEY DIDNT HAVE TO MAKE HER CLARK'S CONFIDANTE OR ANYTHING ELSE FOR THAT MATTER. And yet they did, to satisfy her fans.

You guys have to understand that they need to write the character off soon because, we all know Superman doesnt have Chloe in the future. Neither is she mentioned or involved in future events. Enjoy the ride cuz really and truely, it has always been clear that she was ONLY a prototype of Lois Lane (since they couldnt have her, initially). They CREATED her to move the story along and connect certain things. Chloe was created to be an ultimate plot device/ connector. Sorry bt its the truth. (e.g. Lois coming to town, Introducing Clark and Lois to journalism/ DP, Introducing Jimmy, Finding and locating things for Clark, explaining things to the viewer..etc)

IMO, the writers have a beginning and an end for each and every character. Im sure whatever they do in the end with her character is going to be what they originally planned. I know this for sure
        I am glad you have so much fair in the writers. Of course, these are the same writers who just pulled the entire Veritas arc out of their collected asses and thought wasting an episode on Jimmy Bond was a good idea. Al has proudly admitted that they have no idea of how they will deal with the consequences of the season finales in the first episode of the new season.

More to the point, after seen years, I am invested in Chloe's story. I want to see how it ends, and I do not consider her a simple plot device. I do not feel that I should be grateful that the writers created such a cool character, just so they could break her down. Instead, I feel pissed off that Chloe is being systematically destroyed, and that AM's last episode may be wasted. YMMV.
        I find it hard to believe that the writers would try to make any character look bad simply for the purpose of making another character look good. That would be highly pointless, IMO.
        There is a precedent - they did it to Chloe in season two in an effort to make the fans love Lana. It is also worth considering that Lois got into the Daily Planet at the same time that Chloe stopped working as a reporter and became Chloogle almost exclusively.
        So, instead of thinking they are tying to sabotage her... maybe they are just trying to make her more interesting?
        What development? Sure, I am getting tired of Chloe being Chloogle or Clark's brain, so I would understand if they cut that back and make it more like a team of equals. But the "developments" we have seen this year include:

- The stupid meteor freak power, which was mastered (in terms of accepting herself and mastering her power) offscreen
        - Decreased professional ambition
        - Decreased passion for her job
        - No response to losing her dream job
        - Pining for Jimmy freakin's Olson
        - Doing even more work as Clark's brain than ever

How is Chloe more human? Does does showing a Borg-like indifference to anything but Jimmy's jimmy or Clark make Chloe a more well-rounded person? I don't get it.

Comment

I'm sure I will get a lot of flack for this.. but I just want to say..

It's weird how, when Chloe does something wrong, it's "the writers are making Chloe mean" or "TPTB are writing her out of character". People blame it on the writers.

But when Lana does something wrong, it's "Lana is crazy" or "Lana is a [so-and-so]". People blame the character.

I don't know.. just something I've noticed that is kind of odd.

Comment

I'm a newbie but I am a big Chloe fan and I think the post by Andiegirl makes a lot of sense... But I do have some mixed feelings. I hate that she totally gave up on her dream of journalism and didn't even look back at the DP. But you never know maybe the writers have something in store for her that fits the Chloe we all love and Know. But if they attempt to demolish her character my making her crazy or something like her mother, that would be the end of SV for me. I highly doubt that their going to head in that path though. But I really want her back for season 8, its already depressing enough that MR is gone and yeah...KK is leaving. I think Chloe should be showing her cuz about the journalistic ropes instead of attempting to always put some sense into BDA (I still love him). All in all I love Chloe she is a pivotal character to the show I just hope they don't screw her up. By the way anyone know the update on whether she's staying for season 8?

Comment

"First I do find that Chloe suggesting that CK kill Lex is very OOC and is poor handling of her character."

In "Nemesis", she was willing to let Lex die in the caves, but she realized Clark couldn't do that. I don't think this is out of character at all. She makes a good point: Lex destroying the world would be far worse for all the innocent lives that would be destroyed than Clark taking Lex's life, Lex who has murdered legions of people and will continue to do so to get what he wants.

Chloe was clearly hesitant at the thought of the idea, but it shows us that she is three-dimensional. She's not just all "black and white". CLARK is SUPPOSED to be the only character who sees the world that way. That is a huge part of what makes him Superman. Whether it's wrong or right, that is the Clark Kent character, and in order to highlight what makes him so unique, other characters need to, at times, question that.

"As far as Lex being carved up vs. sex with Jimmy. C'mon? Lex fired her. Why should she care? Not saying she shoulld advocate for his death but in this instance, it might be that she needs to cuddle up with her boyfriend and feel loved rather than try and face a foe.

And for one I am little relieved that Chloe is finally being humanized. I was a little off put by her "holier than thou" attitude and that she could do no wrong while solving all the troubles of the world. It's nice to see Chloe taking care of Chloe for once. It helps me identify more with her. Early on the series Chloe was one of my top characters but then as of late I was getting a little miffed by how they handeled her.

I, for one, hope she becomes a hero in her own right with her ability and joins up with OQ's team."

Agreed. Great points. We all get tired and are sometimes just in the mood for some affection, even if something we're usually passionate about is on the table. The thing is, Chloe really doesn't care for Lex. Even Clark didn't really care at first when he heard that Lex was hurt. So Chloe just wants a few moments of time to spend with her boyfriend for once. She has to worry about life and death situations 24/7. It's refreshing (and very hot ) to see her wanting to take a break.

Comment

Originally posted by Honey45

It's weird how, when Chloe does something wrong, it's "the writers are making Chloe mean" or "TPTB are writing her out of character". People blame it on the writers.

But when Lana does something wrong, it's "Lana is crazy" or "Lana is a [so-and-so]". People blame the character.

I didn't know that Lana ever did anything wrong. I thought she was always justified in her actions. *shrugs* But anyway, the writers are responsible for systematically destroying the characters.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Great post, RepairmanBob! You summed the matter up nicely. The writers felt that they had to make Chloe look bad in an effort to elevate a character who has been looking really bad for quite some time.
                Last edited by Kalista; 05-14-2008, 08:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by MozartRequiem
                  "First I do find that Chloe suggesting that CK kill Lex is very OOC and is poor handling of her character."

In "Nemesis", she was willing to let Lex die in the caves, but she realized Clark couldn't do that. I don't think this is out of character at all. She makes a good point: Lex destroying the world would be far worse for all the innocent lives that would be destroyed than Clark taking Lex's life, Lex who has murdered legions of people and will continue to do so to get what he wants.

Chloe was clearly hesitant at the thought of the idea, but it shows us that she is three-dimensional. She's not just all "black and white". CLARK is SUPPOSED to be the only character who sees the world that way. That is a huge part of what makes him Superman. Whether it's wrong or right, that is the Clark Kent character, and in order to highlight what makes him so unique, other characters need to, at times, question that.

"As far as Lex being carved up vs. sex with Jimmy. C'mon? Lex fired her. Why should she care? Not saying she shoulld advocate for his death but in this instance, it might be that she needs to cuddle up with her boyfriend and feel loved rather than try and face a foe.

And for one I am little relieved that Chloe is finally being humanized. I was a little off put by her "holier than thou" attitude and that she could do no wrong while solving all the troubles of the world. It's nice to see Chloe taking care of Chloe for once. It helps me identify more with her. Early on the series Chloe was one of my top characters but then as of late I was getting a little miffed by how they handeled her.

I, for one, hope she becomes a hero in her own right with her ability and joins up with OQ's team."

Agreed. Great points. We all get tired and are sometimes just in the mood for some affection, even if something we're usually passionate about is on the table. The thing is, Chloe really doesn't care for Lex. Even Clark didn't really care at first when he heard that Lex was hurt. So Chloe just wants a few moments of time to spend with her boyfriend for once. She has to worry about life and death situations 24/7. It's refreshing (and very hot ) to see her wanting to take a break.
                  Agreed. I don't think Chloe acted out of character. Or that they are using these things to destroy her character to make other characters look good. I think they have shown a girl who has to deal with an unbeleivable amount of repsonsibility. And she has to sacrafice so much for the sake of Clark and the world. They have shown her as a loyal friend who acts like it doesn't bother her that she lost her dream job because saving the world is more important then what she wanted ever since she was a little girl. And Jimmy is the only thing she can hold on to right now that is part of her own life and helps her relax a little from the weight of the wrold. But they had shown how her heroic life and protecting Clark's secret conflict with her normal life she is trying to hold on to.

It is sad that Chloe's life has to be sacrafacial and I hope that some how some way they can show better things happening for her. But at this point they haven't been destroying her charcter they had been showing more developement into a heroine's life and the complications that come with having that kind of life.

Comment

Well, I am glad Lana will be back to normal.

Comment

Exactly.. The same with Lois. Its all her fault she is paired with certain guys.. But Chloe getting paired with Jimmy is the writer's fault

Comment

Originally posted by Jory
                        It appears that in--what could be-- Allison's last year TPTB are completely, and totally, tearing down the character of Chloe.

-First of all they have her getting demeaned at the Planet by Grant and they don't have her fighting back. This from the girl who took Kahn up on her challenge and proved Pauline wrong.

-Then they have her getting fired,and her response is "Oh well." When she was fired at the Torch she was pissed. The girl has wanted to be a reporter since she was 6 (see "Progeny"), and when she's (wrongfully) fired (by Lex) she's all ho-hum. You'd think that after 7 years of reporting, she'd be a little pissed off.

-Jimmy dumps her (after eyeing Kara,and licking his lips) in front of Chloe. Then he dumps Kara (after she gets amnesia) and Chloe takes him back. Then when they are together he looks down Lois' shirt,and takes a photo of Lois bending over, and Chloe's ok with that. Where's the old Chloe who would dump his ass?

-Lex gets carved up, and the girl who had a bunch of curiosity (she did say that Smallville was "Land of the weird,home of the strange") isn't the least bit curious and would rather have sex with Jimmy?!

-In "Vessel" she tells Clark that he "isn't a killer" but she's now implying that he should kill Lex!

WTF are they doing to Chloe? Are they intentionally tearing her down since this is/may be Allison's last year? I would've thought/hoped that TPTB would've given her better material,and a much better send off than [SPOILER] jail [/SPOILER] in her (possible) final season. If TPTB are trying to get Allison back I can't see how assassinating Chloe's character will do the trick. Is this the network wanting people to turn against Chloe, like the WB tried in season 2? TPTB truly suck some serious booty. They couldn't write a better sendoff,and now they are tearing apart a popular character so that other characters will be liked more,imo. Morons.
                        Agree

and even though they were Chloe look like a total B!*ch in S2 i didnīt hate her
                        i fall in love more than S1 jeje

but your right that is not the Chloe that i love i mean if they were gonna bring Lois into the SV story why create Chloe? that is just stupid all the passion that Chloe had in seasons 1-3 suddenly pass to Lois i was like WTF??

Comment

Originally posted by DGirlLois4Clark
                          Come on guys, what do u expect. Unlike alot of the characters on the show they CREATED Chloe's character and therefore can do whatever they please with her. I hate to be brutal but, the character's future is one of the only unclear ones and non canon. U guys should be grateful that they have written her character so well, over the years.

Who do you think wrote her initial storylines to begin? Who wrote all the things you love about the character? They DIDNT HAVE TO MAKE HER JOIN THE DP, THEY DIDNT HAVE TO MAKE HER CLARK'S CONFIDANTE OR ANYTHING ELSE FOR THAT MATTER. And yet they did, to satisfy her fans.

You guys have to understand that they need to write the character off soon because, we all know Superman doesnt have Chloe in the future. Neither is she mentioned or involved in future events. Enjoy the ride cuz really and truely, it has always been clear that she was ONLY a prototype of Lois Lane (since they couldnt have her, initially). They CREATED her to move the story along and connect certain things. Chloe was created to be an ultimate plot device/ connector. Sorry bt its the truth. (e.g. Lois coming to town, Introducing Clark and Lois to journalism/ DP, Introducing Jimmy, Finding and locating things for Clark, explaining things to the viewer..etc)

IMO, the writers have a beginning and an end for each and every character. Im sure whatever they do in the end with her character is going to be what they originally planned. I know this for sure
                          When compared to the other character they created for the show that wasn't in the comics, Whitney Fordham, Chloe comes off pretty well. She is still with the series. She has become a focal point to the show. And obviously she has a good loyal fanbase of her own. It is somewhat clear ALMiles loved the character they created and since she is going to be part of the show in season 8 , (She will play a big part now that they have given her superpowers) one can't say that her character has been destroyed or ruined. Far from it. The character of Chloe has been enhanced quite a bit and written and developed quite well. More so than the main character of the show has been by a country mile.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎