Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved it? Hated it? what did you think of Quest?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The writer's of this episode deserve a huge pat on the back. Unreal. How any writer can make an episode of this quality and get it so right is brilliant. The ending when the coordinates placed themselves in the Arctic hit the realisation the Lex would find.....

Comment

• I love the episode, especially the end. Reminds me of some good old sf movies.

9/10

Comment

• Its a good episode.Liked how jasons dad returned,the plot was nice and the ending was more surprising then arctics!

Comment

• Reading some of the posts got me wondering have we seen the same episode? I would like someone to point out what was it that made this episode a 6-10 episode? and 6 is such a good grade for this.

"Quest" and "Arctic" have been some of the most dullest episodes I've ever seen. The whole going to Zurich thing...Edward Teague trying to kill Clark...Lex getting lost to "Da Vinci Code"...Im saying lost because this isn't Superman...this isn't even Smallville.

Yes I know about season 2 and 3 with it's cave paintings and story about Namaan...about the Traveller...about Star Blades and all. Don't know if this was interesting to you but it was really boring to me. I liked that the indians had depicted Clark's arrival on the cave walls but thats it. It shouldn't be this big of a deal. If you want to make Clark mystical and magestic then compare him to Alexander the Great like in season 1's "Rogue" or season 5 when Lex consoled Clark that even the greatest heroes have flaws and referred king David. Don't remember the episode.

Edward Teague was a good tie in to season 4. I didn't care much for the Teague's to begin with but season 7 and the Traveller-crap gave more info about them wich is good I guess. Didn't really care who was the last surviving member of Veritas so it was a borefest for me... So you want to stop someone controlling the Traveller who is here to save us all...What do you do? Kill him! OF COURSE!

Then Clark gets lost to a satanic ritual that resembles some sort of a sacrifise...Hey if you want to sacrifise Clark for the good of all mankind do it properly like in...you know...? SALVATION!!! Btw a satanic ritual (a person tied up and tortured and the colour scheme is green 'cos of K) that is all done in a church...I know church burned people in stakes for being a "witch" but the problem is...that was in medieval times...God I hate this episode.

Clark is his usual (season 7) self...completely useless :/ and he is saved by another person again...Don't know about repeation but someone clearly got bored of Clark doing all the saving...But believe me I would take an active protagonist that saves and helps people any day over this. So what's Lex up to?

By the end of "Phantom" Lex clearly was all out evil. He was that before that. So evil infact that the writers apparentaly didnt know anywhere else to go than redeeming him in season 7...Sorta...Thing about Lex is I like him when he was Clark's friend and then nemesis. I don't like switching back and forth. Lex killed Julian and Lionel and I like that because it's who he is supposed to be at this point of his journey. But in "Quest" he is just bored, not good, not evil. Just bored and has nothing really interesting to do in the whole episode. He found the orb but it was so dull and awefull it was painfull to watch. As painfull as it was for Clark being stuck and hurting in the church knowing the writers werent gonna let him get out from there by himself. Im gonna continue Lex bashing in "Arctic" so more in there if you can stomach it...

I can pretty much safely say that "Quest" is the most AWEFULL episode in Smallville's history. Lana being a witch in season 4 is Shakespierre compared to this. I dare anyone to find a more despicable episode.

If I could give this episode a 0 it would get it.

1 from me
          Last edited by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow; 05-30-2010, 02:28 PM.

Comment

• This was... a pretty good lead-in episode, but all it really did was serve as build-up to "Arctic," which wasn't the best finale, if I'm being honest. I loved Chloe saving the day again, even if it did rather stretch belief that she could get to Montreal so quickly after Lex had just arrived, but... this is Smallville, so maybe she has her own personal black hole she can travel through, too. I kind of liked the mysterious element of the church, the clock, and the cryptograph. The carving up of Lex's and Clark's chests -- so graphic! I didn't really like that all that much. I guess I'll give this 7 out of 10 Scottish folk songs for just being a fair momentum-builder leading to "Arctic."

Comment

• Great i like the last scene were Lex discovers the Orb

Comment

• Wasn't a fan of the veritas storyline... that sub-plot was a real snooze-fest for me. So as an result I was pretty much meh towards it. The only thing I can say about this ep is that I'm relived to see the veritas storyline wrapping itself up, before the lead-up to the season's finale.

Still, there was a few cool moments, like when Lex found the orb.

Comment

• Season 7 was when the writers' strike happened hence the truncated season. There was also the fact that MR wasn't renewing and KK was only coming back in season 8 to fulfil contractual obligations. Unfortunately as with many other shows around that time, plotlines had to be wrapped up too hastily to beat the strike and it affected the quality of the product. The Veritas arc had the potential to become one of the most effective retcons of its type if they'd had the time to pace the arc properly (and if they'd chosen to forego much of the Dawson's Creek aspect of the show, ie, the Clana angst), say over at least 12 episodes.

Like the other Veritas episodes, I think there is a really good story there, and it's just the fact they had to hurry it all along that made it come off as forced. Shifting the tiles a little, maybe Fracture should have been placed right after Blue so the whole finding Kara angle and then Lex getting his early memories back didn't suddenly force a new arc onto the story - you could have had a slow build that maybe would have allowed Arctic to devote more time to the Clark & Lex showdown in the Fortress.

I guess I'm one of those who has more time for season 7 than most people. It's far from perfect but a little restructuring plus more time could have given us something pretty memorable before the wholesale cast changes kicked in.

Anyway, back to Quest. It guest starred Robert Picardo so that in itself makes it worth a watch, if you'll pardon the pun!

Comment

• A lot better than I remembered it. Thought Robert Picardo gave a good performance as Edward Teague. The backstory he gives to the Orb differs from what we later saw in "Kandor", but I wouldn't consider the latter a full on retcon. Teague represents a radicalized version of the beliefs of Veritas. The idea of the Traveler is an idea a bunch of rich white folks have taken from a 500 year old Kawatche legend. The legend of Naman. In season 3, they even point out that there is no written down version of the "prophecy". This means that the story's been verbally passed on for five centuries, not to mention translanted into English. And that can affect things. Languages change over time. The Kawatche language (which we do not know anything about) would no doubt have changed over these 500 years (if not largely died out). Words get retired, new ones created, while the meaning of other words change. Before finally being translated into English. Certain things just can't be translated. In this very episode, the Kryptonian word for "sanctuary" is used, because the Kryptonian language had no word that translates directly into "church".

Actually, after this episode, I feel that the legend of Naman/the Traveler can be discredited. Keep in mind, we never saw the Kryptonian, who is said to have visited the Kawatche tribe 500 years ago. So, we have no idea what the man actually said. All we have is a story, that's been verbally passed down through the tribe for 500 years. As nothing's been written down, there's a big risk that they story's been changed on multiple occations. This Kryptonian is said to have predicted that another one of his kind would come to Earth, in a rain of fire. Clark came to Earth in a meteor shower, that's why he's considered to be Naman from the prophecy. However, the same goes for Kara and Brainiac. So, those two could also be considered contenders for Naman. And maybe "rain of fire" doesn't refer to the meteor shower (remember, we're talking about something that was said 500 years ago and in another language). When the Zod clone was created in S8, he was in the middle of bright light, that scorched the ground. "Rain of fire" could've refered to that. Only phrased in a way, that people would be able to understand, 500 years ago.

If we assume the Kryptonian from 500 years ago was a time traveling Jor-El (here to hide the stones and the Orb), his original story might've simply been a predication of the eventual creation of the clones. And the other one, that he talked about, was simply his own clone (who would try to defend humanity and Earth from the other clones, if needed). Then a few hundred years pass. Jor-El's story becomes a legend, a prophecy. To some, even a religion. Then Clark shows up and people assume that he is Naman, because certain things line up. Coincidences become signs of the prophecy coming true. And things that were never about Clark, becomes attributed to him.

So, Jor-El created the Orb. Exposed it to blue Kryptonite, in an attempt to rob the clones of their powers. But, he also built in secondary fail-safes. In case that they aquired their powers, the Orb would allow humanity to controll any Kryptonian. It would give them the location of the Fortress and allow for the removal of their powers. However, over these five centuries the Orb became part of the Naman legend and people interpreted it as a weapon against Naman/the Traveler. The true purpose had simply been forgotten and replaced with another.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎