Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Page suddenly appears in journal? Clark shouldn't have noticed that!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Page suddenly appears in journal? Clark shouldn't have noticed that!!!

If Brainiac and Kara went back in time to 1989 on Krypton and changed a page then there's no way Clark would have noticed a new page...it would have just been there the whole time. It would have resulted as a paradox.

Kara would be the only person to stop Brainiac. Right?

It should have been there the whole time. It wouldn't just appear.

Comment

Ah, welcome to the wonderful world of time-travel paradoxes. The only way to reasonably explain the sudden appearance of the page in the journal is with alternate timelines. The moment Kara and Brainiac travelled back though time to 1989, a new timeline was created that branches off the original timeline in the year 1989. Clark and the rest of the universe got immediately shifted to this new timeline the instant Kara and Brainiac made the time jump (in 2008). The original timeline got destroyed and there is no way to get that back. The problem is that Clark has no memory of the page being in Swann's journal all along, which means that Clark's memories are still from the original (unaltered) timeline. Also, since the whole new timeline from 1989 to 2008 has already happened we can conclude that at this moment apparently the only thing that Kara and Brainiac managed to do is add a page to Swann's Journal. If they had made any other major changes, like killing Kal-El those changes would have happened already. So Clark is in no danger from Brainiac at the moment. Now if he starts to influence Kara's or Brainiac's actions either by going back in time himself or changing Kara's course of action through the FoS-Krypton-telephone-line-to-the-past he could actually end up making the situation a lot worse by causing another timeline to be created and there'll be no telling what that one will look like.

Comment

Yep, I pointed all this out in the plot holes thread.

It really bothers me. I love time travel stories but why can't they keep up with the paradoxes? I mean it's really not that hard to understand, only took my mum half an hour to get it once I tried to explain it to her...

Okay maybe she's a poor example, I saw the paradox immediately. The question is, does that make her slightly slow or me deeply sad? (Her words not mine).

Comment

Sad thing is no one knows how time travel really works. What they are using is the straightforward way with no other realities just the one they live in.

Comment

Kara didn't know Clark in the original timeline, so I'm OK with how it was handled.

I also like the idea that Clark had read all of the kryptonian stuff well enough to know a new page had been added, which shows he's been thorough with the reading material he's received. It's good to know it just wasn't stuffed in a drawer.

Comment

So, in the original posters opinion, Clark should have just had the knowledge of that page in his memory as soon as the change was made, without the knowledge of it not being there before, because technically it would have been there the first time he read it, in this new time line. A time line which is a result of Kara going back in time, and putting the new page in the journal?

If that's what your saying, it does make sense, but try explaining that in a couple of lines to an entire group of television watchers. I mean, how would they have brought that up in the story? He couldn't really say "I have a new memory, that I didn't have before" because this is a new time line all together. He would just have already known that information.

I think that's why they took what Kevin24 called the straight forward approach. People who read comics are used to parallel time lines, and alternate earths. We like, and for the most part understand all that, but some people don't. Don't get me wrong, I would have liked it either way, and in fact, your way seems more logical to me, just offering up my explanation as to why they may have chosen to go a different route. That, and it was one of the only ways to show the viewers that Kara was in fact changing things. Without showing us what Kara's doing, they really have no way of letting Clark, or viewers know that she's making these changes.

Also, we don't exactly know how time travel works, as was already stated. I've seen a number of shows where time travel happened, and reality was shifting around people just like it did on Smallville, so who knows who, or what they're taking their cues from. Very good thread topic!

If my interpretation of what you're saying is off, I apologize. These are the types of discussions that make the head spin a bit. I could go back and forth with myself on how I think time travel would work pretty much indefinitely.
              Last edited by Kal26; 04-29-2008, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Well, one way i would have imagined it happening was the page was there the whole time and Clark knew about it but didn't know what it meant. Remember, it took Clark a while to understand what was going on when Kara was trying to contact him through the fortress. If the page in the journal read pretty much like the message she sent through the fortress then Clark would have read it and not understand what it was about up until that very moment that Kara and Braniac disappeared. Then Clark would have said something like "wait, this all sounds familiar" - or something along those lines and then he'd return to the journal and finally understand what that page was all about.

and thanks Kal26!

Comment

With all due respect to all that posted here - Kara and Brainiac went back to 1986 - it took the rocket 3 years to get here = lol

Comment

So what does that have to do with the page in the journal, Cage??????

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs.Bizzaro
                      Well, one way i would have imagined it happening was the page was there the whole time and Clark knew about it but didn't know what it meant. Remember, it took Clark a while to understand what was going on when Kara was trying to contact him through the fortress. If the page in the journal read pretty much like the message she sent through the fortress then Clark would have read it and not understand what it was about up until that very moment that Kara and Braniac disappeared. Then Clark would have said something like "wait, this all sounds familiar" - or something along those lines and then he'd return to the journal and finally understand what that page was all about.

and thanks Kal26!
                      True true

Comment

ya, the page should have been there the whole time. Also, They shouldn't have been, "get here, before it's too late" messages because Jor-el could always just send him back to before braniac did anything to baby clark. in fact, I don't understand why he didn't send him back before brainiac could even get to kal-el.

Comment

If there's one thing I've learned from watching/reading tons of SF material it's don't try to understand time travel. Too many variables. Just accept it as it is, and try not to ask about it. It can drive you to the looney bin if you focus on it too much.

Comment

what fun would that be, sherban1988??

Comment

I think he wouldn't have noticed it was a "new" page. He would have said "Why didn't I see this before?," because it was there the whole time. The writers may be right about how it would work, though. I doubt we'll ever know.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎