No announcement yet.

Things that didn't make sense

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that didn't make sense

In every episode of Smallville of the last two or so seasons, I get annoyed at the things they do to make their story work (things characters conveniently forget, powers left unused, complete overacting, unrealistic reactions, ...). So after watching this episode, I decided to make a list of them. Off of the the top of my head, so I could've forgotten several:
    • Clark should've X-rayed Lex for the locket at the drop scene
    • Chloe sees Lex coming down the Daily Planet stairs. She's supposed to be very smart, and works there for a long time, including on various projects that are secret or confidential, but can't find a better hiding place than her own desk drawer?
    • Lex sees Chloe getting up from her desk and putting something in the paper shredder, and looking very nervous after. How about checking the shreddings?
    • Clark should not have opened Lionel's message (a.k.a. fancy flashlight) in the freaking Luthorcorp building! Security camera's could've seen the projection, guards could've seen the projection, someone could've even seen it from a window in the Daily Planet building (just like Lex' push got caught on camera oh so very conveniently by Jimmy)...
    • Clark should've been more careful while looking at the lockets in the mansion. He could've used his speed, or X-rayed the whole thing from afar. But then again, what chance could there be that the owner of the mansion would enter the study/library where he always sits to think/drink, in the evening, on the day his father died.
    • Jonathan Kent is dead for while now, Clark should be way more prepared for Lex' cheap shots about his death. (See also the very obvious scene at the end with Jonathan's picture.)
    • Nothing of any significance happened after the first 5 minutes of this 40+ minutes episode.
    • Jimmy is a professional photographer. Working for a world-renowned newspaper no less. And yet, he (or the Daily Planet) doesn't have the equipment nor the knowledge to simply sharpen an image? It feels like a very lousy way to get a little more use out of that fancy new Isis foundation decor they built. (addition by AlwaysRight)
    • Why is there a walk-in freezer in the Daily Planet? And not just any freezer, that thing was huge! Reminds me of the episode where Lana traps Chloe in the mansion's wine cellar freezer. In more ways than one: both simply didn't have a door handle on the inside. Are they scared the meat tries a sneaky getaway? (blatantly stolen from Doox's thread)

Of course, nothing's all bad; there were some good points:
    • Clark at least used his heat vision for defrosting Jimmy and Lois
    • Chloe looked nice in the last scene

And this is one of the better recent episodes (which unfortunately doesn't say much lately). I wonder what kind of list I'd have gotten on an average episode.
    Last edited by Screenager; 04-18-2008, 05:46 PM. Reason: spelling!

i posted this in another thread but it makes more sense here

why do they need a "super" powered computer to refine the picture, programs that do stuff like that can be done on a normal home PC. There is no reason Jimmy couldn't have done it himself at work(assuming he is good with stuff like that) and they have the proper program on his machine(which i assume it being a newspaper they would have top of the line programs).

Comment

Originally posted by AlwaysRight
      i posted this in another thread but it makes more sense here

why do they need a "super" powered computer to refine the picture, programs that do stuff like that can be done on a normal home PC. There is no reason Jimmy couldn't have done it himself at work(assuming he is good with stuff like that) and they have the proper program on his machine(which i assume it being a newspaper they would have top of the line programs).
      A very good point! He's a photographer for the newspaper, but hasn't got a computer at work that can sharpen an image, and even needs Chloe to do such a simple task?

I understand that some things get portrayed unrealistically to make the story work, but a little more effort to make sense wouldn't hurt...

Comment

You cannot gather information from a photo that doesn't exist to begin with. Every show that makes enhancing programs like that make themselves look dumb. What they are basically doing, is going back in time, and re-taking the picture with higher resolution. Rediculous.

Comment

I totally agree with Clark not X-raying Lex possibly the stupidest thing he has ever (not) done. He knew Lex had the key, and he would never trust anyone else to hold it, so why not just use his powers to force it from him! I think Lex being suspicious about what happened is better than him being able to CONTROL you.
          And Chloe putting the key in the desk was horrible. She should be smarter than that.
          Practically the whole episode (until Gina got killed) I was flipping out going "Why is everything falling right into Lex's lap?!"
          Like Clark leaving Chloe alone in Isis at such a convieniant time. Oh, and it was bugging me how Gina came right when the picture was done even though she was it would take "a few hours." But Jimmy told Gina it was a 5 minute drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Screenager
            • Nothing of any significance happenedafter the first 5 minutes of this 40+ minutes episode.

YOU ARE CRAZY if that is what you think,
            you literally have a problem if you are being serious.
            and all those things u were complaining about, like seriously who cares !!! how come jimmys computer couldnt do it ?? and whsy there a freezer in the DP ??
            like come on !!! who cares !! stop asking so many questions.

Comment

U wrote too much, I didn't bother reading it.

Comment

LOL!!! Those are some really sharp observation on the episode. Good one screenager..

Comment

You are so right!

Screenager, I totally agree. Sometimes it's absolutely ludicrous, the manipulating the writers have to do to get themselves out of corners and end the episode on time.

To me, the biggest thing was Clark not X-raying Lex. Wouldn't you expect a key to be carried on one's person? Especially since it's known to be valuable?

And thanks, Lionel (*sarcastically*) for such a cryptic and unhelpful message. "It'll control you") - gee, what about leaving some actual information like WHERE is the box, and WHAT do the keys have to do with it and WHO is involved - but no! Clark might actually have some facts in hand and be able to solve a problem without a lot of Chloe-hacking and use of superpowers.

Oh, wait....that's the whole purpose of the show....

Comment

i think personally you're griping about the episode that was really one of the best in the series. i mean i can be overly critical about the things that go on here but its television, you dont have to analyze every little detail thats placed inside of it. and you said that nothing happened after the first 5 mins of the episode? Are you kidding me? this episode was probably the one that had the most drama. It was heavily focused on Lex's psyche. MR did a great job at showing us that he's completely lost his marbles and the confrontation between Lex and Clark was so intense that there are literally no words for it. Its this episode that I think was very much needed for not just Lex but for Clark as well because Clark is gonna have to step up his game to stop Lex's plans from here on out and get off of the kiddie stuff he was on episodes ago.

Comment

Why is there a walk-in freezer in the Daily Planet? And not just any freezer, that thing was huge! Reminds me of the episode where Lana traps Chloe in the mansion's wine cellar freezer. In more ways than one: both simply didn't have a door handle on the inside. Are they scared the meat tries a sneaky getaway? (blatantly stolen from Doox's thread)
                      The Daily Planet is a rather large building with perhaps hundreds of employees working there, so it makes sense to have a restaurant (or two) located there.
                      And Jimmy said "Why are we inside a kitchen?, It is a little late for a snack isn't it?"

Even most small restaurants have walk in freezers.
                      But, the one in the episode was clearly in violation of safety codes. All freezer walk in and coolers doors MUST have a fully operational door release on the inside.
                      Jimmy & Lois have a lawsuit against Lex now
                      Last edited by STFanatic; 04-18-2008, 11:24 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Screenager;3732163][list][*]Clark should've X-rayed Lex for the locket at the drop scene

I was really PO'd when CK said he xrayed the mansion...I screamed at the TV....what about Lex....did you xray his sorry butt....you BDA.

Comment

Originally posted by jazel
                          Originally posted by Screenager
                          [list][*]Clark should've X-rayed Lex for the locket at the drop scene
                          I was really PO'd when CK said he xrayed the mansion...I screamed at the TV....what about Lex....did you xray his sorry butt....you BDA.
                          but then that would've sounded too "Clex" kinky and they're supposed to hate each other now remember?!

Comment

Maybe he did xray Lex, but he was too busy checking him out that he forgot he was looking for the key?

Comment

Lex is a pasty human....
                              BUT CK is too much of a gentleman, to go there.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎