No announcement yet.

Do you like or dislike Kara? Why?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by borednow
    I dislike her, I organized the reasons once so might as well use it again right?

She is pretty much my least favorite character currently on the show.
    I must agree with you on that one! It's like she has no soul no depth to her character. She sucks, but she is a pretty girl. Maybe she will grow on me!

Comment

Why do I like her? Well first off, she can fly. I never watched Smallville until this season because I didn't see the point in the no flight rule. Second, I like that Smallville took the character of supergirl which was ruined by that low budget 1984 movie and put her back on the map. Making her older than Clark on Krypton but younger on earth is really clever and creates an interesting dynamic between her and Clark.

For everyone saying that she is too powerfull. I'll bet that if she wasn't so powerfull you same people would be complaining that a woman on the show was being portrayed as weak and helpless and spew feminist rhetoric about her. I love that she provides superpowered backup that can get Clark out of trouble. After all he's not Superman yet. Everyone keeps forgetting that he won't be the Superman we know till he trains for 10 years in the fortress.

And Oh yeah it doesn't hurt that she is the most gorgeous woman currently on television. You girls know that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you see Clark without his shirt? We guys get the same feeling when we see Laura Vandervoort.
      Last edited by guittarjedi; 04-23-2008, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by guittarjedi
        Why do I like her? Well first off, she can fly. I never watched Smallville until this season because I didn't see the point in the no flight rule. Second, I like that Smallville took the character of supergirl which was ruined by that low budget 1984 movie and put her back on the map. Making her older than Clark on Krypton but younger on earth is really clever and creates an interesting dynamic between her and Clark.

For everyone saying that she is too powerfull. I'll bet that if she wasn't so powerfull you same people would be complaining that a woman on the show was being portrayed as weak and helpless and spew feminist rhetoric about her. I love that she provides superpowered backup that can get Clark out of trouble. After all he's not Superman yet. Everyone keeps forgetting that he won't be the Superman we know till he trains for 10 years in the fortress.

And Oh yeah it doesn't hurt that she is the most gorgeous woman currently on television. You girls know that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you see Clark without his shirt? We guys get the same feeling when we see Laura Vandervoort.
        the only reason people say she is too powerful is because she is overshadowing Clark, which seems ridiculous. it's got nothing to do with feminism... i mean i dislike Kara in the same way i dislike Lana, and Lana never had any power. it's more about being a boring character with no depth.

he has to study in the FOS for ten years? well let's see... season 1. he was 15, so that'd make him 21 now, and 22 next year. So if your suggesting that he has to study for 10 years, he won't be Superman until he's 32? wow, that's a bit of a logic leap if you ask me

this interpretation of smallville doesn't seem to be about him studying for ages in the FOS. anyway, superman isn't just a persona that appears when he has some kind of epiphany after isolation in the fortress... it's just who he is

Comment

he has to study in the FOS for ten years? well let's see... season 1. he was 15, so that'd make him 21 now, and 22 next year. So if your suggesting that he has to study for 10 years, he won't be Superman until he's 32? wow, that's a bit of a logic leap if you ask me

No he has to TRAIN in the fortress for 10 years not study. It's not a logic leap, it's something called Superman CANON that is set in stone. There is a movie called Superman:The Movie starring an actor named Christopher Reeve, you might want to watch it so you can learn about a character named Superman.

Comment

I'm really indifferent when it comes to Kara. Whether she's there or not, it doesn't make much of a difference to me. I definitely don't hate her like I do Lana, probably because the storyline isn't centered around her. Maybe she just doesn't have enough screen time for me to dislike her?

Comment

I'm indifferent too.

I don't really find her that interesting, but I don't hate her.

She hasn't really added much to the show.

Comment

I think LV has done a good job, and she's a likeable, attractive actress.

But I don't believe Kara was a good fit for SV, and I think her storyline all season has proved that, IMO. This show has enough trouble keeping its focus on Clark, and remembering that he is supposed to become Superman. Kara seems to be just another distraction.

I know she's canon character, but IMO, she really belongs in another phase of Clark's life. I know the same could be said of Lex and Lois, but I don't believe either of them have taken quite so much away from Clark's character. Having Kara come into Clark's life when he's already Superman cements him in the mentor role, and retains his uniqueness of character. But having Kara here now, doing things before Clark does them (like flying) just really makes Clark look a few steps behind her. And IMO, that just shouldn't be happening on this show.

It just seems to me that she didn't bring much to the show besides a very beautiful face. Not to mention how big a budget drain she is. Did we really need another excuse for Clark using his powers less?

Comment

No he has to TRAIN in the fortress for 10 years not study. It's not a logic leap, it's something called Superman CANON that is set in stone. There is a movie called Superman:The Movie starring an actor named Christopher Reeve, you might want to watch it so you can learn about a character named Superman.

i can't believe we are having a serious discussion and Smallville STICKING to superman canon! nothing is set in stone at the moment. we've already got Lex knowing Clark, Lois knowing Clark, Jimmy being the same age as Clark! why on earth at this point would they end the show with him going off to 'train' in the FOS... i suppose you could be right but i'd be very dissapointed...

i've seen Superman the movie... i've also seen a little show called Lois and Clark where the FOS was nothing more than a tree house at the Kent Farm... which is where they got the idea to call Clark's barn the FOS in Smallville... though that seems to have been forgotten

personally i prefer interpretations where Clark doesn't have to 'train' to be superman. he get's his world knowledge from being in the world, not from being told about it by an alien who died ages ago

Comment

i've seen Superman the movie... i've also seen a little show called Lois and Clark where the FOS was nothing more than a tree house at the Kent Farm...

Well there's your first problem. That show Lois and Clark was mod edit
                    Last edited by jimmyolsenblues; 04-23-2008, 11:14 AM. Reason: rule 4

Comment

i've seen Superman the movie... i've also seen a little show called Lois and Clark where the FOS was nothing more than a tree house at the Kent Farm...

Well there's your first problem. That show Lois and Clark was [Mod Edit].
                      retarded is an offensive word...

anyway, so basically what you mean by 'canon' is more like 'the superman mythos i choose to acknowledge'.

personally i'm a post crisis fan, prefering the idea that Clark is the person, Superman is the disguise, not the other way around... but that's just a preference. i don't decide i'm going to be ignorant to other interpretations and say my preference is 'fact'.
                      Last edited by STFanatic; 04-23-2008, 04:02 PM. Reason: See above

Comment

Kara Kent. Well, let's see. By cannon she isn't supposed to show up until Clark accepts role as Superman. Of course, by that standard, Lex and Lois aren't supposed to be here either.
                        So, forget cannon. Is Kara a good "Smallville" character? And is LV the actress to play her?
                        I'd say that LV is good for the role of Kara. I know others will say that her performance can be unconvincing, but we must remember that this is a brand new character to the series. We shouldn't judge her to harshly, espeicially in comparison to the main characters, who have been played by actors and actresses who have had years to grow into their roles.
                        I think it's the writer's fault that the character of Kara is underutilized. After all she is supposed to be an intellegent young woman, educated by an advanced culture, and raised on an alien world. Why haven't we seen CK and KK talking about Krypton? Isn't CK curious about the world of his birth? Doesn't KK have insights, both scientific and philisophical, that her cousin should know?
                        I feel that the character of Kara Kent could be realistic and meaningful, but the writers have just added her in as another shallow plot device. I think that if they (the writers) could come up with a compelling and toughtful storyline for Kara that LV could bring the character to life, just as the other talented actors and actresses on the show have done with thier roles.

Comment

For those who live in the same towns as the comic cons, make signs that say things like "We want Laura Vandervoort back on the show!"

Comment

hi everyone,

i love kara i been a huge supergirl fan since before the film with helen slater to me laura is a great actress who career i sure will go from strength to strength i am sure in time she big film actress, also i have seem many girls of course not on sliver screen or film but on the net apart from raya or the other kara from 3 season although i enjoyed there performces this kara played lv was really deal as far i concered and i am disappointed that not season 8. Also i understand if people here arent kara/supergirl fans but why people say hate character or actress is uncalled for esp if you like the show i would never say i hate particular actor or actress on anyshow because i feel that type of remark is uncalled for.

dave
                            Last edited by dave4893; 05-31-2008, 08:37 AM. Reason: mistakes

Comment

Originally posted by dave4893
                              hi everyone,

i love kara i been a huge supergirl fan since before the film with helen slater to me laura is a great actress who career i sure will go from strength to strength i am sure in time she big film actress, also i have seem many girls of course not on sliver screen or film but on the net apart from raya or the other kara from 3 season although i enjoyed there performces this kara played lv was really deal as far i concered and i am disappointed that not season 8. Also i understand if people here arent kara/supergirl fans but why people say hate character or actress is uncalled for esp if you like the show i would never say i hate particular actor or actress on anyshow because i feel that type of remark is uncalled for.

dave
                              I'm another fan of Kara and LV and all your points are excellent. The problem was that LV/Kara was misused in these pointless "Kara is missing" plots. I understand and believe all Kara fans understand that Clark is the star but the Smallville management could have shown Kara partnering with him. Even the little bit of that shown in "Kara" was excellent and it was a terrible mistake to get away from that in subsequent episodes.

And I totally agree with the point about the Kara bashers. I have never questioned anyone for liking a different character. I've never written anything like a "Down with so and so" note. Yes I've criticized the Smallville management and responded to bashers but I've never said someone shouldn't enjoy their favorite character. Now the bashers evidently got their wish but they still can't adopt a "live and let live" attitude.

Meanhwile I urge my fellow Kara supporters to sign the petition and write to Smallville.

Comment

I really like her, she had a positive impact on me almost immediately. Probably my favourite after Lana and Lionel. Shame season 8 will be without my 4 favourite characters...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎