Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you like or dislike Kara? Why?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

With no Kara and only a little Lana (hopefully eliminating Clana) next season, maybe Smallville can live up to it's potential, even if it has to do it without Lex.

Comment

I love Kara!! I wish she had her own show.

Comment

^^^^^^^ juice by that!..i loooooooooooooooooove hrer plus shes a smokin hot babe

Comment

Supergirl is my favorite DC character.

LV did a great job of portraying her on the show. I like her because she's always been a great character. Her own story is worth watching and seeing how she adapts to life on Earth has been interesting.

She's strong and independent but still has lots to learn. That makes her interesting to me. I also enjoyed the interplay between her and Clark.

I'd love to see a Kara spin-off

Comment

I like LV's Kara because she's the modern version of the character. Helen Slaters Kara didn't have any story or anything about her at all. And, of course, I'm a guy so I think Laura's hot wich is why I like her too!!! And to add: This is SMALLVILLE, not Superman the Movie! TPTB can do whatever they want w/the chars. in thier show as long as they make sure to go by the mythology from time to time. And, Clark has already HAD his training taken care of!!!!! Jor-El told him it was when the FoS was built. All the Meteor Freaks and ppl he put away were part of his training to keep him on track of his Destiny.

Comment

I liked her character, but I don't think she was needed. But I think she still made a cool addition to the show. Hopefully they will bring her back and she'll help her BDA cousin of hers follow his destiny

Comment

Kara had so much potential but came across as flat out boring!!

Comment

Probably cuz they used the stories and things from the 1984 movie and thought it'd work on Smallville. They should just re-furbish the character of Supergirl and make her more hot and powerfull or whatever for our generation.

Comment

I love Kara. She is an incredible character and has a wonderful story. She deserves her own show. Kara is one of the best superheroes in the DC Universe.

Comment

I love Kara, and the way Laura plays her.

Comment

Originally posted by Princess_Kara
                        I love Kara. She is an incredible character and has a wonderful story. She deserves her own show. Kara is one of the best superheroes in the DC Universe.
                        I'm with you all the way!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well, I don't hate her, but I don't think she should've been introduced. Looking back, you get the feeling that the motivation for her introduction was more network requesting it, to appeal to a specific demographic, rather than it being for any narrative reason. They just introduced her, made her a regular and then did very little with her (usually I find it helps if you've got an idea where you're gonna go with a character, before you have them show up). Had her disappear multiple times, get amnesia, leave Earth to look for Kandor (an activity that S9 proved pointless), then came back as a superhero for barely two episodes, before going to the future, so Clark could fullfill his destiny.

Unlike Conner, she didn't needs much help from Clark to learn to control her abilities (even putting him down, when he tried to teach her about heat vision). Heck, she came in with the ability to fly and put down Clark for not being able to do it, with a line about how girls develop faster than boys. However, outside of matters relating to the blue crystal (which she only searched for in one episode) and briefly dating Henry James Olsen (which added a problem to the character, that I'm going to get into in a moment), she didn't do much.

Now, I'm not off the opinion that the show had to constantly be about Clark.After all, it was called Smallville, not Clark Kent or Superboy (and I don't think Tom Welling cried much, if he got to sleep in, for once). But, this world wasn't ready for Kara. The introduction of Conner was much better. He was introduced in the tenth season (which concluded with Clark becoming Superman), then starts training to use his powers in episode 16 (with an ending that makes it clear that he'll soon become Superboy) of 22 (with the last two being a two parter and the one before that taking place the day before). Clark's already pretty much completed his journey by then. In "Scion", he notes that Conner's developing much faster than him. Not because Conner's better than him (which Kara's line in "Kara" implies a belief of), but because he's got Clark and the other emerging superheroes to look up to.

Kara came in too early for that to happen. And as Clark hadn't even started operating as the Blur, she couldn't start developing her superhero persona yet (as she's supposed to base her persona on his, she can't become Supergirl, before he becomes Superman). It wasn't until S10, that she could become the "Maiden of Might". Furthermore, with both of them on the show, it creates a narrative problem. When I've written SV fan fics, I've typically left Clark out of it (at the most, I had him appear in two chapters in "Triumph", so he could confirm Will's story about having met the characters in 2004 and have scene that concluded Will's journey towards becoming a costumed superhero). The reason for that is that if he was there, there'd be little to no reason for Lois to team-up with Will ("Triump") and AJ ("Umbra"), that would push the "guest characters" into becoming costumed superheroes. In "Supergirls", I had both Clark and Conner be away with their respective teams (ensuring that all of the Justice League and Teen Titans would also be unavailable), forcing Kara and Lois to seek out the help of Karen Starr. Had Clark been there, there wouldn't have been a need for Kara and Lois to go to Karen Starr and activate her Kryptonian powers.

Having two Kryptonians as regulars was a problem, as there wouldn't often be a crisis big enough to warrent the attention of both. So, one is either idle or you have to put down one (namely Clark), just to have the other one be useful. The other heroes were just guest and recurring characters. They'd show up now and then go back to their own lives, in their own towns and cities (where they, no doubt, had adventures and enemies of their own). Kara was a regular. Meaning that she resided at the Kent farm and mostly hung out with Clark's friends. In that enviroment, she couldn't get her own supporting cast or villains. In "Prophecy", we saw a brief scene that established that Black Canary, Impulse and Aquaman all have their own villains, who have never interacted with Clark. Granted, Oliver was on the show for three seasons as a regular, but that's a different matter. He's got different skillset from Clark. Also, we don't see much of his own supporting cast and enemies. There's Vordigan (whom is established to dating back to before his first appearance), Toyman (who, eventually, turns his attentions to Clark), a text message about him encountering Captain Boomerang. Guess you could call Chloe his supporting cast, with them getting married, and Mia Dearden showed up for two episodes in S9 (but, then didn't return until season 11).

The show also had her be aged up a bit (don't think any actual number was established in the show, but I keep seeing 19 thrown around), possibly so she could legally get involved with Henry James Olsen (without him getting arrested). It creates a minor problem, as she's supposed to become Supergirl, which she becomes sometime in 2011. If she was 19 in 2007, she would've been about 23, when she becomes Supergirl (granted, she spent some time in the PZ, time traveled and spent two years in space, where we don't know what she was up to). It doesn't quite work. At 23, she should really be Superwoman. Having characters go by "girl" or "boy" works in the comics, as the characters never age. Dick Grayson remained a teenager for over 40 years. When you're dealing with a flesh and blood person, you're dealing with aging (i.e. Dick Grayson who started out as Robin in 1940, should've been in his 50's, by 1980). Having an adult go by Supergirl these days, makes her stand out as a sore tumb (the same goes for her current Arrowverse show). Don't think that, in the past decade, there have been many grown superheroines on live-action shows and movies, that still go by "girl". I guess you could say that her being Supergirl (as an adult) could be a commentary on sexist naming conventions, but is it really a commentary on something, when you're pretty much the only one doing it?

I don't have a problem with them having a female superhero on the show, but they really should've gone with someone other than Kara Zor-El.
                          Last edited by jon-el87; 09-22-2018, 11:45 AM.

Comment

I liked Kara but the storylines didn't do her many favours because she was so in and out. The show often had Clark questioning his place in the world and whether or not he fitted in, but Kara's storylines made it seem as though she didn't fit in anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                              they really should've gone with someone other than Kara Zor-El.
                              Thought this over recently. If they were going to introduce Supergirl in season 7, they really should've gone with the Matrix/Linda Danvers incarnation (provided that DC would allow them, and not require them to use the then current Supergirl. After all, DC/Warner Brothers put an awful lot of restrictions on the show). Personally, I prefer the Linda Danvers version over Kara Zor-El. The origin of Matrix could've probably been tied into Project Ares and Lex cloning Lana, with ease.

Instead of Kara Zor-El showing up, at the start of season 7... they have Lana Lang seemingly revealed to still be alive, and possessing metahuman abilities (with a mystery of what has happened to her): speed, strength and shapeshifting. A few episodes later, another Lana Lang appears, and claims to be the real one (who faked her death, by placing a clone in her car). Raising the question of whom is the real Lana Lang: the one who was killed, in the car explosion? The one with metahuman abilities? Or the newly arrived Lana? Sending Clark and the others out to uncover the mystery. They discover that the newly arrived Lana is the real one, while the one with powers is a prototype clone created by Lex and given the powers of various meteor freaks.

The reveal causes the one with metahuman abilities to suffer an identity crisis. So, she takes off. She returns a few episodes later. Now in the form of a young blond woman (having accepted the truth, and chosen a new face and name: "Matrix" ("Mae" for short)). Then they introduce a 15/16-year-old, troubled runaway, named Linda Danvers, in a subsequent episode. Linda is somehow mortally wounded. Mae ends up merging with Linda, saving her life. Followed by 2-3 episodes of Linda semi-adjusting to her new state (is she Mae? Is she Linda? Is she both?), and then makes the choice to return to her hometown.

There could even have been spin-off potential in that: 15/16-year-old Linda returns home, tries to fix a broken relationship with her parents, goes back to high school, trying to make up for her troubled background (and having to deal with with figures from her dark past). She starts to find herself in situations, where she has to use her powers to save the day (something that'll one day lead to her becoming Supergirl). Speaking of her powers: over the course of the show, she starts developing new ones (one at a time): teleportation, telekinesis, force fields and flame vision.

Comment

It sounds like an interesting premise for a solo Supergirl show, but not fit for a show that revolved around Clark Kent. I thought Laura Vandervoort did a great job with what she was given, and made a lasting impression with the fanbase.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎