No announcement yet.

What they have done to lana.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What they have done to lana.

What's with the bright, shiny sadism you've displayed within this ep?

Borderline: there's the Freak-Hunter getting his jollies while Clark hops around like a frog on a skillet. Okay, you skated by, with Lionel denouncing it as such.

But, then there's the disturbing extreme of what you had done to Lana.

Writers, I'm afraid you've missed quite spectacularly the distinction between being cruel (what we expect from a Baddie), and being outright sadistic (what we recoil from as 'too much') - compounded by the zeal and relish with which the Director had Braniac deliver his information to Clark.

Three days later, Folks, and people are still mentioning how queasy it makes them feel. You know the bit: "...excruciating pain; she just can't express it."

What? You're moonlighting as coaches for our future sociopaths who are out there taking notes?

Oh, and, uh, family hour entertainment? Well, it does not involve causing emotional recoil of the very audience you've been engaging up to that point - that is, the audience members who are still not inured.

Oh, and, one more thing: A Good Artist Knows When To Stop.

Fail!

The secrets of Veritas start to come out! Talk about the March 20 episode of Smallville here!

Comment

Fine.

(part of cited Comment)
      ... This story in Smallville (pertaining Lana's hardships) will convince Clark Kent to form a secret identity - and not allow Lois Lane to know who he is. If he does - he'd be too concerned that she will get hurt (like Lana HAS).
      I have no problem with that. Fine.

I'm talking about going too far. It is sadistic to have a character feel excruciating pain insessantly. The 'not being able to express it' is even more egregious.

Sadism is not necessary for showing Clark the light about assuming a secret ID. You don't need to strip skin off your damsel in distress.

Comment

I have to agree, I was very disturbed by Lana's situation in this episode. I never expected Smallville to go this relentlessly dark.

Comment

Never expected Smallville to go this dark? Didn't Lionel force his own son to undergo electro-shock therapy as way back as Season 3? Didn't we see what looked like Chloe and her Father blown up at the end of Season 3?

It's cool that there are people talking about it being disturbing rather than cheering for it, though. I noticed a shocking trend to actually cheer for Lana's demise form fans recently. It's so sickening it almost caused me to not join.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose etta
            ... This story in Smallville (pertaining Lana's hardships) will convince Clark Kent to form a secret identity - and not allow Lois Lane to know who he is. If he does - he'd be too concerned that she will get hurt (like Lana HAS).
            Well after 3 1/2 season's of being useless she at least has a purpose, although this plotline could have been done by the end of season 5.

Comment

I wouldn't want to have the discussion with my kids explaining Lana standing at the stove getting her skin burned away and feeling it the whole time.

Very sadistic. I loved it, but this show has not been 'family hour' for a couple seasons now.

Comment

You've got to pay attention to the tenor of the violence.

Season7Rocks:
                Never expected Smallville to go this dark? Didn't Lionel force his own son to undergo electro-shock therapy as way back as Season 3? Didn't we see what looked like Chloe and her Father blown up at the end of Season 3?
                These are all melodramatic-level violence, not sadism, although at the time a lot of us felt the electro-shock depiction was extreme and disturbing. But, it's done, and then over with. In contrast, Lana is undergoing permanent, unceasing agony.

Violence against others, in itself, is not sadistic, unless it is considered 'extreme' and/or 'pleasure is derived from it'.

Lionel wasn't standing over Lex during shock therapy and going, "heh-heh", he was saying sorry, this is necessary. Blowing up the Sullivans is executed as an expediency.

Bizarro heat-beam-frying a guy then giving a sneering smile is indicating that Bizarro is sadistic. If they had shown the guy suffering with the slow application of heat-beams intercut with Bizarro's relish, that would have been overboard in its indulgence of sadism.

Re: Lana's fate, the very notion of someone suffering unremitting excruciating pain is basically 'permanent torture'. The added feature that she isn't even able to scream or cry about it (and therefore hope for relief), adds a sick level to the permanent torture. Then, the zeal and relish Brainiac shows while informing Clark is an explicite feature of sadism.

In these three ways, this is a sadistic display, and was enough to make a lot of us adults queasy and disturbed that the writers went too far.
                Last edited by Rose etta; 03-31-2008, 09:24 AM.

Comment

It amazes me how the "suffering" of a fictional character has elicited such an outpour of shock and sympathy for Lana. Not to sound cold, but it's fiction. Shouldn't we be more concerned about the real world violence being inflicted behind closed doors in hidden torture chambers around the world? I would be more "shocked" and sympathetic to people being tortured for whatever reason. Torture is wrong. If it takes the make-believe pain of a fictional character to elicit such compassion, one can only hope such sympathy extends into the real world.

Comment

I thought it was a bit much myself. Having her be in a catatonic state really would've done the job. The sizzling hand, the excruitiating pain? Totally not necessary. It just seemed design to heap on the guilt.

Comment

it might be a case they wanted to make Lana as sympathetic as possible and they know there is a good chunk of the fanbase that see her as the root of all evil on this show and it would take alot to get them emotionally involved in that scene

Comment

Much worse has happened in the comics. Hell, worse has happened in the Bruce Timm animated universe. So Lana fried her own hand and couldn't express the pain, that doesn't make it sadism. It's her hand, it's not a vital organ or more private place of her body. She had it impaled by Zod for petes sake and you act like sizzling it on a pan and not getting to cry is the equivalent of insane torture. Hell, semi-drunken college guys nearly attempting to rape her as far back as Season 2 disturbed me a hell of a lot more than what Brainiac did. And Brainiac's not even human; if he were, then it might disturb me. That's my point of view on this situation.

Comment

Braniac didn't appear as sadistic and cruel in past eps. I kind of thought it necessary to let the audience know who horrible this guy really is. I did not find it too much. I do however feel many episodes get close to the edge such as this one but it clearly is no secret that TPTB chose this way to tell a story. I think the audience by now should be expecting this stuff.

Comment

I really thought this whole eppy was like a really scary horror flick especially what happened to Lana really showed what kind of eppy it was gonna be from there. The ending caught be by suprise. I didnt think they would do that to Lana. Her eyes where jsut to evil to look at.

Comment

uh Iīll tell you what is really sadism and evilness:

standing Lana and Clana for 7 years...that`s really cruel!
                              thanks Braniac, I couldnīt stand lana anymore and I just canīt stand one more Clana episode. I guess God exists and now sheīs paying for making us suffering so long

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎