No announcement yet.

Birds of Prey on DVD July 29!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SSJConan
    Well, I finally got the set, last one at Best Buy in fact (on its shelf anyway). Just got through the first four eps, loving it so far. Episode 4, despite the repetitive plot that made Smallville's worse episode in "Ageless", really hit the emotions and mainly helped with how the plot with Guy is played and the talents of every actor/actress involved. Picture quality's good (judging from a fullscreen television) and looks like it's simply a non-anamorphic transfer of the original widescreen print, as nothing is cropped when comparing the pilot to a fullscreen download, similar to Return of the Joker's Uncut release and Justice League Season 2.

Only music change I've noticed so far is the opening theme, which even this doesn't bother me at all and I actually prefer it over "Revolution", though everyone should keep in mind that I haven't seen these episodes on television. That certainly has to do with my tolerance over the issue of music changes, I'm quite glad that Mark Snow worked on the score, ties it a lot more nicely into a distant-future spinoff of sorts to Smallville's universe from my point of view. Overall, liking what I see and hear a lot, many thanks to Warner for finally releasing this!
    Let us know what you think after your done watching the series.

Comment

RE: New Theme Song: Yeah I've tried a search with the words that I could make out but I couldn't come up with anything. Anyone else happen to know the name of the song?

Comment

I saw the second ep Slick last night. Kickass episode, just as fun as the pilot (Slick is a hilarious villain).

And once again it seemed that most of the original songs were there, which was really great to see (or should I say hear, heh). They really do add a lot more enjoyment/fun to the scenes. However the very last song during the episode close-out seemed unfamiliar, so that might have been a change but I'm not sure. The song itself seemed like a nothing song, but it wasn't bad.

The theme song seems to be the major song change so far. Turns out I was right when I guessed it would end up being the main menu song, heh. It's a nice song but it gives a different tone/mood than the original. The new song is more "happy"/upbeat, more "Dawsons Creek" if you will, lol, with a "We're girlfriends 4 EVER!" kind of vibe, ha. So it didn't quite match up with all the clips in the intro, in particular the more violent/actiony ones (the one with Harley kicking the dude comes to mind, heh). (The original was darker, more goth/punk/rebel chick vibing, the kind of music Helena would be more likely to listen to.)

So, so far there's nothing really to complain about, except that we got a matted WS transfer instead of anamorphic (but this all might be connected to the way the show got filmed I suppose? don't know). PQ's good for what it is, I guess I've just been spoiled by the quality of shows like Supernatural and Prison Break on dvd, which look phenomenally good and practically like hd-dvd quality transfers even though they're dvd.

Also, this dvd set is clearly overpriced considering there's only 13 eps in the series, but at least the product is good. Great, great show, a total must-have. I can't believe it got cancelled so quickly, it's a crying shame.
        Last edited by Xanderman; 07-17-2008, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderman
          Also, this dvd set is clearly overpriced considering there's only 13 eps in the series, but at least the product is good. Great, great show, a total must-have. I can't believe it got cancelled so quickly, it's a crying shame.
          Funny, I got it for only $31 at Best Buy, I find that's a fair deal. I mean, all 13 eps of this series in a nice packaging and encoding (ignoring the non-anamorphic aspect for you folks with widescreen televisions), the unaired pilot, and the whole Gotham Girls series as a bonus. Just watch, Ten-to-One Season 2 of Heroes, only 11 eps total, gets the same $45-$50 price as the first season. If that happens, in that respect, I feel BoP got off pretty lucky in some priced areas.

Anywho, just finished all 13 eps, may I say the last two episodes blew me away. The Hannibal Lector approach with Clayface, all the while keeping a couple "human" elements that ever-so-slightly keep him from being as evil than the Joker, really turned out well and the following finale (or rather, "part 2") blew me away. Wade's death, even though he wasn't in a great deal of episodes, really hit an impact given the romantic arc he'd had built up with Barbara since their first scene in the pilot. Helena finally learning better on not killing a defenseless enemy in cold blood, starting with Clayface and carrying through into talking Barbara out of killing Harley, arguably hit the biggest impact of everything IMO. I really felt for these characters and had the series not been so short, maybe even cried for them.

Only complaint I might have with the series is the lack of Wade in several episodes, whom lucked out in one of his eps by having earlier cut scenes re-edited into "Reunion" (I'm guessing to better transition into his status in the last two eps), as he was a great underused character that deserved more spotlight than someone like...Dinah? There's another element of the series that irked me, Dinah; I know she's 16 and she lost her real Mother and all, but the angst and confusing feelings that were given to this girl, it was seriously like she had more an angst-rollercoaster than Buffy's Dawn and Smallville's Lana put together. Sometimes, the angst came from nowhere, such as wailing against a punching bag all because Helena expressed her fighting limitations.

I liked the subtle elements that were played with Bruce Wayne/Batman in the series, as it wasn't about him, yet tied to him in a profound manner; Barbara being his best apprentice, Helena being his daughter, and Alfred being his former butler! He's only seen in the appropriate flashbacks in the pilot and his respectable cameo instances in each episode's prologue, a nice nod to him and at the same time decently branching from him and his perspective to show that this is Helena and Barbara's show. We get one final instance with him in his off-screen presence in the final moments of the series finale, as he called Alfred to check up on his "little girl", showing that he is a smart enough detective to know of his prodigy (as implied by the fact that the Wayne assets had been readily available to an unwilling Helena for the whole show).

I know one thing, much better than I was ever expecting for only 13 eps. This is staying in my DVD collection for as long as possible. Long live Alfred!

Comment

Has anyone yet figured out what the new song they filled in for the theme song is?

Comment

Does anyone know if one of actors playing Guy in "Three Birds and Baby" is Justin Hartley? The actor looks little young to be Justin, but he does look and sound alot him... (The actor is not listed in the credits)

Comment

so far, from what i am hearing i have no desire to buy the set. i loved the theme song and i wouldn't want an upbeat new theme. that's not the show, gotham is a dark place and BOP always had that setting in mind, very time burton not nolan.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer
                  so far, from what i am hearing i have no desire to buy the set. i loved the theme song and i wouldn't want an upbeat new theme. that's not the show, gotham is a dark place and BOP always had that setting in mind, very time burton not nolan.
                  Have you seen The Dark Knight? Nolan is much more darker and grittier than Burton. Burton is dark but the difference is Burton is dark in a strange other worldly kind of way.

Comment

yeah i saw dark knight - and i was referring to gotham the city, not the characters within the city - burton's gotham was much darker and grittier than nolan's very modern day gotham.

Comment

Originally posted by J'onn J'onzz
                      Does anyone know if one of actors playing Guy in "Three Birds and Baby" is Justin Hartley? The actor looks little young to be Justin, but he does look and sound alot him... (The actor is not listed in the credits)
                      Sorry, not him... at least according to IMDB.

Matthew Josten ... 4 Year Old 'Guy' (as Matthew Michael Josten)
                      Bobby Edner ... 10 Year Old 'Guy'
                      Michael Welch ... 14 Year Old 'Guy'
                      Riley Smith ... 18 Year Old 'Guy'
                      Victor Bevine ... 40 Year Old 'Guy'
                      Richard Stobie ... 70 Year Old 'Guy'

Comment

I miss Revolution as well... I had some old dvds burned from vhs recording ... quality sucked but at least i could watch it. Wish they had dome some special features.

I was also surprised none of them turned up on Smallville in a guest role.

Comment

I saw the 4th ep yesterday (Three Birds and a Baby) and I was disappointed by some of the music changes, there was quite a bit changed in this one it seemed... unless I'm just remembering things wrong. I remember really liking the tag team fight between Huntress and that aging dude the first time, and the original song was no doubt a reason for that. So the ep just wasn't the same to me, sort of betrays my memories, lol... Looks like there's a lot more changes than it seemed there would be after the first couple eps (where there were very few changes)...too bad.
                          Last edited by Xanderman; 07-28-2008, 12:51 PM.

Comment

music

Well I finished the set. I was very disappointed with the music they used for Devil's Eyes. I realize they do it lower the price of the dvd set but they have to realize that the music is a big part of the scene. Wonder how much trouble it would be to restore the old audio track to the crisp video from the new set.

Comment

bop merchandise petition

we made the dvd happen now its time for the merchandise to take launch,help me to get posters,shirts and more..

sign the petition
                              everyone please help me get merchandising for birds of prey, the sells of the dvds…

----- Added 1 Hours and 9 Minutes later -----

we all got the birds of prey dvd and idk bout you but i was dissapointed how some of the songs weren't included in the dvd collection,we can change that,sign the petition plz

http://www.gopetition.com/online/21159.html

----- Added 1 Hours and 13 Minutes later -----

Now that the Birds of Prey dvd series was a huge sucess and the dark knight is making all batman products and spin offs #1 on the charts,its time to make a Birds of Prey video game,help me sign the petition so we can have that

The birds of prey Video game will be one of the greatest video games now…
                              Last edited by sable28; 08-12-2008, 05:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Birds Of Prey - Theme Song 2 DVD Version

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Old Version

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎