Unhappy Superman Lovers: Psychos or worshipers?

So, here's the thing. I've been reading a lot of posts on K-site for a while now and there are some things that I don't quite understand.

First, how can some claim to be a Superman/Clark fan but condone murder to certain people he claims to love and care about? That's not who this man really is. He stands for so much good in the world but some talk about murder and other violent crimes that should happen to people who he loves and/or cares about. Why would a Superman lover and/or worshiper condone such violent crimes to people this man loves and cherishes?

Second, I'm not going to get into any ships but I'm confused about some things that have been said regarding Lana/Clana. I would really like to know what this woman has done to bring on so much hatred? Do people hate her because she's still with Clark? Do people hate her because of what happened with Lexana or do people hate her because she might be an easy target and because no one can fathom hating Chloe?

I'm not trying to cut anyone down. I'm just curious. It seems like some of you don't really know the story of Clark Kent or Superman.
    Last edited by Alaska Young; 03-26-2008 at 10:07 PM.

Interesting questions. You'll find people on this board who are rabid comic historians, and then there are others who know Superman only through movies or TV. Yet others are mainly into the soapish nature of the later SV seasons. Me, I love heroes of all shapes and sizes, but Superman is the Big Kahuna. I've loved him since I was a little kid, but I wouldn't say that I worship him. I just think there's something really special about his stewardship of the Earth and its people.

Regarding Clana, I'll speak only for myself: It was sweet in the beginning and then vastly overdone. The roller coaster nauseated me. IMO, the Lana character was messed with mostly to give her a continued reason for being there. She should have been written out after season 4 or 5 to make way for Clark to grow up at a reasonable rate, but that isn't to say that they had to make her a vampire, possessed by a French witch, or evil. They don't have to kill her off. There's nothing inherently wrong with just ending the relationship with everyone still alive

By the way, welcome to the board. I lurked for a while too before registering!
    Last edited by susangail; 03-26-2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Added a howdy

Quote Originally Posted by susangail View Post
    Interesting questions. You'll find people on this board who are rabid comic historians, and then there are others who know Superman only through movies or TV. Yet others are mainly into the soapish nature of the later SV seasons. Me, I love heroes of all shapes and sizes, but Superman is the Big Kahuna. I've loved him since I was a little kid, but I wouldn't say that I worship him. I just think there's something really special about his stewardship of the Earth and its people.
    co-sign that too! I'm one of those comic fans/historian and love anything to do with them.

I have to say as well...that I thought the character of Lana on the show was great up until season 5-mid season 6. The only true way for Clark accept who he is and to become the greatest superhero and icon we all know...Lana can't be in the forefront of his life, she has to be his past.

I believe with tons of other fans on the board that Lana's character was overdone, but I agree she don't have to be dead. Just like the mytho in some of the vast origin comics...Lana was Clark's past and just were friends during the beginning years of him becoming Superman. But honestly on the show...since the beginning of season 7, Lana's character and how the writers have written her in the show have become kind of boring...it's like she's there just to be "there."

Last...I'm still a huge fan of Smallville and Superman...and always will be.

Welcome to the board btw...

Banned
    I have nightmares.....VIVID scary nightmares, maybe I need to focus on Real Life...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Young View Post
    Second, I'm not going to get into any ships but I'm confused about some things that have been said regarding Lana/Clana. I would really like to know what this woman has done to bring on so much hatred?
    Lana was great the first 3 seasons, but after that it went downhill. In season 4 the witch plot was to the point of ridiculous, and season 5 on it was just to much Drama. The main problem with Lana now is it feels alot of the times she is just placed into scenes because she is the star of the show. Her plots usually go nowhere and aren't that interesting. Lana should have basically become a secondary character when she isn't with Clark.

I actually do think if written properly she could be a good addition but it just seems like she is on the show because she is Lana and no other reason.

I just think there's something really special about his stewardship of the Earth and its people.

I really liked they way you said this....It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up......

I'm a huge fan of Superman in all forms of media. I put Smallville at the top. It's my favorite interpretation of the character. I don't want Lana to die, but I must say, I've hated her in every incarnation. On the Superboy tv show, I could tolerate her, but in every other incarnation, I've hated her. That stems from me hating that type of girl. I don't want to go into too much detail, but imo, she's betrayed Clark in every way possible on Smallville, and is simply someone I would have no use for in real life. I wish he would see past the attraction he has for her, and see the needy little twit that I see when I look at her.

I try to live my life by the example Superman sets. I don't worship him, but I do respect him, and see him as a good that has never, and probably will never be matched in real life imo.
    Last edited by Kal26; 03-27-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks, Eri-El

Regarding Clana, I'll speak only for myself: It was sweet in the beginning and then vastly overdone. The roller coaster nauseated me. IMO, the Lana character was messed with mostly to give her a continued reason for being there. She should have been written out after season 4 or 5 to make way for Clark to grow up at a reasonable rate, but that isn't to say that they had to make her a vampire, possessed by a French witch, or evil. They don't have to kill her off. There's nothing inherently wrong with just ending the relationship with everyone still alive

By the way, welcome to the board. I lurked for a while too before registering!
    I agree with you 110%!