Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's supposed to be his worst nightmare... seemed like a walk in the park!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i'm not saying he should let his emotions rule him, that'd be immature

but i dont think controlling his emotions is a superman thing to do, its just a coming of age thing to do for any human(or kryptonian raised human)

but fear is different

you can't dial down fear. you can be brave and you can not give in and you can fight... but you can't get rid of it.

was watching it again and i figured out exactly whats missing for me... no heavy breathing. no panicked intakes of breath. and obviously i dont mean while he was in pain, cause he barely could breathe. but when he first woke up. i mean if i just woke up in a cell i'd be confused first, then panicked, then deeply scared

i just didnt see any of that.

p.s. i didnt think he pulled off the 'come out here and face me' line particularly well either

Comment

• As a collegiate gymnast, you bet you can dial down fear, that's what that sport is all about. To be afraid is natural, but you can't perform until your able to control your fear or just not let it be prominent (dialing it down). For example, when a gymnast is fearful of a new skill they are attempting, they would recognize their fear, take it and put it in a corner of their brain, they would then focus their brain on another corner like in focusing on the actual task, that fear doesn't go away, it's just being held at bay in a way where it is no longer the focus. That's what bravery is, being to able to do the task even though you are afraid.

Superman is about doing what's right, not what his emotions tell him to do, but his intellect. So yes this is a natural way to go in training Clark to be Superman.

As far as the breathing aspect goes, I really believe everyone is different and there would be slight differences to everyone's reaction in this case. As an athlete, I know people in pain don't necessarily react the same, so I was comfortable with Clark's reaction.
      Last edited by All about Clark; 03-26-2008, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• i totally agree that dialing down fear is a huge thing. i'm not a gymnast, but i had chronic anxiety and panic attacks for two years and it took me a long time to control it. i had to do my exams in a room of my own so that if i had to run out of there i could. my hand was shaking so much i couldn't write my own name.

and that's illogical fear, it's different yes, but i did learn to control it, and now if i feel the fear coming on i can push it down. but no matter how much i push it away, its still visable, even if just for a second. people ask me if im okay... i take a moment, breathe, then say 'yeah im fine' and i usually am.

so yeah, im not saying that pushing your fear down is unbelievable. it's totally what superman would do. and in fairness what any man with pride would do. he's way to macho to give his enemy the satisfaction of seeing him break.

but i just wish we could have seen an initial panicked reaction that later became bravery.

Comment

• Originally posted by LexLuv180
          I would have figured the Kryptonian cage would have hurt him more when it wasn't turned up higher, too. I mean, a small necklace can make him fall to his knees, but being in a cage where it's hardly turned up didn't phase him at first?

That's what I was thinking too. A simple rock on his chest and he can't get it off, but he's able to rip that taser dart off at first?

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎