Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's supposed to be his worst nightmare... seemed like a walk in the park!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MidgardDragon
    There were times when he was on the cage writing on the ground, when the intensity was at its highest.
    What did he write?

Comment

Originally posted by Yasise
      I disagree. Tom is so much able to act angry, e.g. in "Rogue" S1, where he gets really very angry with that cop, who wants to use his abilities for his own purposes. Sorry, but that scene in the kitchen was very much an angry Clark!
      And when he was Kal-El, he got very angry, too, especially with Morgan Edge, when he came to the farm after Clark.

I think Tom has enough talent, to not need a "decent acting background" as you put it. He's really a master of showing Clark's emotions, without saying a single word.

But, as I said in other threads before, it seems lately, that he doesn't put so much emotions into Clark anymore, since season 7 began. Maybe lack of enthusiasm for Smallville after so many years...???

So you're partially right, with what you've said, IMO, but only concerning season 7 so far. The other seasons he was perfect in terms of showing Clark's emotions.
      Yet again we agree with each other! I like how he portrayed anger in the past. I guess we'll just keep bashing our heads against the wall collectively, wondering whether this change is from Tom, the writers, or what.

Comment

This is Tom's show, he's not going to do anything to jeapardize it. I think you need to be blaming the directors and producers. Tom can do anything they ask of him in regards to his acting.

Comment

Originally posted by litew8
          What did he write?
          He wrote: Kara's coming!

Comment

Originally posted by GuardianAngel
            He wrote: Kara's coming!
            Or "Clark was here."

Comment

What's funny is that everyone wants Clark to mature and the moment he does, then there's something wrong with Tom.

Being that there is only 1 season left, I suspect we'll see Clark handling himself more Supermanly and mature with each passing episode.

Comment

I don't have offense to see him mature, but to me emotionless does not equal maturity. Either way, I never meant Tom wasn't a great actor.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
                  Why wasn't he more terrified. It was just terrible acting. I felt no emotion from Clark the whole time he was in that cage. I wanted to see terror in his eyes, something actually dramatic.
                  I think he busy being in deep physical pain. There were flashes of terror but most of the time he was busying wondering if he was going to die, likely. Or perhaps he wasn't afraid because he knew the girls would save him!
                  I thought Welling's performance was subtle and nuanced, though i did think he was going to do a bit more talking....More "I'm a person, why can't we be friends?" stuff.

Then when he was out, and he said 'i'll deal with lionel' i thought there might be hope of seeing this drama. The man he trusted even after everything he had done, just put him through the most horrible experiance of his life. I expect him to be so angry, to yell at him, to look at him in complete disgust.

Didn't get that either. He just looked a little annoyed, and kinda dissapointed. I would have spat in Lionel's face!
                  Part of it might have been that he was hoping that Lionel was still on his side. Part of it might have been a rage so deep that it made him still and quiet (those are the ones to look out for, baby!). Part of it is that he was ingrained very early on not to let loose and get mad and go all crazy with the powers and the anger and everything. But I think the biggest part of it is that Clark just isn't like that. He's never been a 'spit in your face' kinda guy. It's not in his nature (which is why it is so startling when we see it).
                  So I say kudos to both the writers and Tom for staying true to the character.

Course that's all just my opinion. *smiles cheekily*

Originally posted by litew8
                  Heck, he was face down on the ground for prob. 85% of the show.
                  I rather enjoyed that, personally. (Is it terrible that when he was lying there in pain I was sitting there thinking 'cute butt!"? )

Comment

What's funny is that everyone wants Clark to mature and the moment he does, then there's something wrong with Tom.
                    Yeah, thats pretty much how it goes. If he breaks or shows fear, then he's a wimp. If he broods about something, then he's emo. If he's stoic, then he's emotionless (and Tom is a bad actor, can't forget that gem ). If he's harsh and yells at someone, then he can't be Superman because Supes never gives up on anyone. If he's violent, then he's a thug. And so on, and so forth.

Comment

i'm sorry, but i love superman. in the most recent scenarios he has acted with fear and emotion and no one has called him any less superman

i.e. in superman returns he got beaten up and he was viasbly scared

in lois and clark, he was kept in a kryptonite cage by lex, but the fear was obvious, and the pain was more believable... i'm sorry by TW arching his back twice is not a good sign of acting in pain... it was repetative

Comment

Originally posted by BadToad
                        Yeah, thats pretty much how it goes. If he breaks or shows fear, then he's a wimp. If he broods about something, then he's emo. If he's stoic, then he's emotionless (and Tom is a bad actor, can't forget that gem ). If he's harsh and yells at someone, then he can't be Superman because Supes never gives up on anyone. If he's violent, then he's a thug. And so on, and so forth.
                        I basically agree with your implication, except it's not that simple. There's brooding, and then there's multi-episode (or even multi-season) *BROODING*. Clark has reached points over the years at which the drama has been stalled. That's poor writing.

FWIW, I love Clark's development this season. I can see a man now.
                        Last edited by susangail; 03-21-2008, 07:33 PM. Reason: Minor rewording

Comment

Originally posted by Yasise
                          I agree totally with that cage and locked up part of yours! That's the reason I gave this ep only a 8 in the "loved it or hated it?" thread. Tom did this pain and fear stuff much better in other ep's, e.g. in "Extinction" S3, where he's shot with that kryptonite bullet. That scene was terrific, concerning his acting!!! Everytime I watched this scene so far, I always get chills and you believe every second, that Clark's in so much pain and that he's terrified.
                          I expected the same in "Traveler" as soon as I heard about that cage thing - but it was different and I didn't get chills.
                          And I don't want to talk again, about the different reactions to kryptonite all over the seasons, because I did it so many times in other threads. Only this one: With so much kryptonite around him, he must not have been able to stand up again and again, when on other times he could barely lift his arm. This is really so not logical!
                          I was actually just talking about that scene from extinction a couple of weeks ago on another thread. That is one of my favorite scenes in the whole series. That entire scene is so intense. the fear and pain not only in Clarks eyes was intense, but the fear and anxiety that his parents had too. omigosh, just so intense. Love that scene. incredible acting, for sure.

Comment

I loved the episode in every way except one, and that bugs me alot

I mean Lana's 'ill kill him if he hurts clark' thing was perfect, and said with this cold simplicity. Chloe's reasoning with Jor-el was heart felt. Lionel's stuttering attemtps at an explanation showed how frightened of loosing clark he is, and lex wiping the blood off patricia's necklace with this intregued look on his face was really chilling.

But Clark showed nothing.

Ever since he was tiny his parents drilled into him to keep his secret, because they were afraid someone would take him away and keep him locked up and study him. He has probably had hundreds of nightmares about a man like peirce. A sadistic man who would call him a freak and hurt him.

It happened! well not the studying part, but the torture and the calling him a freak and being locked up. Why wasn't he more terrified. It was just terrible acting. I felt no emotion from Clark the whole time he was in that cage. I wanted to see terror in his eyes, something actually dramatic.

Then when he was out, and he said 'i'll deal with lionel' i thought there might be hope of seeing this drama. The man he trusted even after everything he had done, just put him through the most horrible experiance of his life. I expect him to be so angry, to yell at him, to look at him in complete disgust.

Didn't get that either. He just looked a little annoyed, and kinda dissapointed. I would have spat in Lionel's face!

It just let the whole episode down for me.
                            I thought he did a much better job in Splinter when he was imagining it all. As a matter of fact, I was expecting this to be Splinter 2 (i.e. that one hallucination in Splinter becoming reality). It did become reality, but not in an exciting way.

Comment

Originally posted by Welling_is_pretty
                              I rather enjoyed that, personally. (Is it terrible that when he was lying there in pain I was sitting there thinking 'cute butt!"? )
                              Yes. Yes, that is terrible. I cannot believe you injected that thought into this thread . I found it rather disturbing to have to watch. Way too much, oooOOO, I'm just laying here. Woe is me. I was thinking - Be a man! Get up you bum!

Me: He's hooking. He's hooking. He's hooking! Damn, Rock Clark, Come on! What's the matter with you?

Rocky Clark: Tomorrow. Let's do it tomorrow.

Me: [Screaming] There is no tomorrow! THERE IS NO TOMORROW! THERE IS NO TOMORROW!

Rocky Clark: I don't know what you want me to say. I mean, what happened? How did everything that was so good get so bad? I wrecked everything by not thinking for myself. I mean, why couldn't Mickey litew8 tell me where I really at right from the start? He didn't have to carry me and lie to me and make me think I was better than I really was when I wasn't.

Rocky Clark: It's really hard to say this. I feel like, well... I thinking maybe it's time that I should, uh, step down maybe and... retire.

Me: Get up you BUM!
                              Last edited by litew8; 03-22-2008, 01:30 AM.

Comment

I loved the episode in every way except one, and that bugs me alot

I mean Lana's 'ill kill him if he hurts clark' thing was perfect, and said with this cold simplicity. Chloe's reasoning with Jor-el was heart felt. Lionel's stuttering attemtps at an explanation showed how frightened of loosing clark he is, and lex wiping the blood off patricia's necklace with this intregued look on his face was really chilling.

But Clark showed nothing.

Ever since he was tiny his parents drilled into him to keep his secret, because they were afraid someone would take him away and keep him locked up and study him. He has probably had hundreds of nightmares about a man like peirce. A sadistic man who would call him a freak and hurt him.

It happened! well not the studying part, but the torture and the calling him a freak and being locked up. Why wasn't he more terrified. It was just terrible acting. I felt no emotion from Clark the whole time he was in that cage. I wanted to see terror in his eyes, something actually dramatic.

It just let the whole episode down for me.
                                His restraint was most impressive. More like Superman than ever before. His turning his back on Lionel I think hurt him more than if Clark had slapped him around the room a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎