Voters
748. You may not vote on this poll
  • Getting rid of Lex

190 25.40%
  • Bringing in Tess

18 2.41%
  • Jimmy's character ('nuff said.)

50 6.68%
  • Chimmy Ewwh. Nastiest relationship ever.

82 10.96%
  • Getting rid of Kara

63 8.42%
  • Getting rid of Jason

9 1.20%
  • The vampire episode

92 12.30%
  • Not killing Lana

244 32.62%
Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... LastLast

What went wrong with Smallville?

During Season 1 & 2, I thought Smallville was literally the best show ever.
    Although I still watch every episode, I think most episodes are now boring and pointless... Looking back, here’s what I see as the top 4 things that went wrong with the show:

1. In the beginning, pretty much all the characters besides Clark seemed real. Lana, Pete, Chloe and Whitney all seemed like realistic kids you could actually meet in High School. Jonathan and Martha seemed like parents of a friend you had. Even Clark’s personality & way of dealing with his abilities seemed like a real person‘s response could be to having those powers….... Basically, it seemed like we were watching the story of young Superman happen in the real world.
    But these days, all the characters have branched off into something ridiculous. I mean, Lana gets witch powers, then marries a billionaire, then runs to China pretending to be dead after cloning herself, etc... Chloe is meteor freak. Jason first appeared to be normal, but then turned out to have all these connections to witchcraft. Pete is now Plastic Man. Jonathan and Martha don’t have powers, but they become famous politicians. All Clark’s friends in the JLA are mutants….. At this point Clark is the most normal character on the show….. What happened to the show’s unique way of mixing fantasy characters with realistic characters in the real world, that fans loved in the beginning?

2. Similar to the above paragraph, in the beginning the town truly felt like a realistic American small town you could actually go to (once you get past the meteor freaks, that is). Everyone in town cheered for the local High School football team, everyone knew each other, the streets were quiet, most of the characters seemed like locals who’ve lived in the same town their whole life, the Kent farm looked like a real farm……. But these days the Kent farm has become a place where we constantly have politicians, billionaires, Hollywood movie starts, criminals, FBI members, etc, stopping by to visit. Now everyone goes back and forth from Smallville to Metropolis as if it’s a 15 minute drive.. It seems there’s something in the town that makes the front pages of the Newspapers every other week, you’d figure everyone in the world must have heard of Smallville by now…...
    In no way does Smallville seem like any small town I could ever really go to.

3. John Schneider was such a terrific actor who fit the part of a younger Jonathan Kent so well. Schneider and Tom Welling had something special in their chemistry working together. Watching Jonathan guide Clark how to use his powers and keep having good morals was priceless, it seemed like there was always something about good morals for us viewers to learn from…… But writing off Jonathan was a major mistake. It was unnecessary (Jonathan lives to see Clark become Superman in all modern comics). And Annette O’Toole has never replaced what Schneider did for the show, neither did John Glover as “the Vessel” of Jor-el (by the way, wasn’t Lionel suppose to be evil? I mean, does anyone else remember Seasons 1 - 5? Does anyone remember what Jonathan died fighting for?), and the little we hear of Terence Stamp has not replaced Schneider either…… When Jonathan Kent was written off, something special about the show was gone - and it never came back.

4. Almost all Superman fans felt in the beginning like they could see Clark going down the path to becoming Superman. Everything we saw, for the most part, seemed like stuff you could add into the beginning of the movie Superman without screwing the storyline…. But these days, no fan knows what direction Clark is going in. And I’m not just talking about the fact that Clark met Lois, Jimmy, Perry etc before becoming Superman….. I’m asking what is Clark doing at all these days? He graduated High School, but he is not training in the Fortress of Solitude, he’s not traveling the world, he’s not learning to fly, and he’s not even studying college Journalism…. What he doing now that will in any way lead to him becoming Superman??? Nothing! The writers are just dragging everything out.

Basically, the show’s first 2 seasons were great because they told the story of Superman, at a time we haven’t seen him before, with 3 Dimensional characters in a world that seemed to mix elements of our real world & the comic book world just perfectly….. But those days are gone.

Despite my above criticism, there are plenty of elements I have enjoyed from recent seasons: Green Arrow, Brainiac, Martian Manhunter, Aquaman, Cyborg, Black Canary, Impulse, Vandal Savage, and my #1 favorite is Kara….. But as great as these characters are, they have nothing to do with Clark becoming Superman. And by tradition, we should not be meeting these characters until after Clark has become Superman anyway…. I think the writers and producers are using these characters as a distraction because they know there’s nothing interesting left to do with their lead character himself unless they’re ready to end the show……. So that’s my real point is: it’s time for this show to end.

I’d love to see a spin-off about any of the above characters (or a continuation show with Tom Welling flying around in costume). And I’d love for such a show to frequently bring on guest stars previously from Smallville.
    But I don’t see how there could be any doubt that the story of young Clark Kent has run dry, therefore should end.

Just enjoy the show and be glad some sort of superman show is on tv.
    The show has not become bored at all, i'm a hardcore superman smallville fan tho, so i enjoy it all.
    The storylines are fresh and fun to watch, the show is just super

Don't like the realistic part you're talking about. Rather the Sci-fi, unrealistic characters, and the fantasy of the Show! I mean the guy travel twenty eight galaxies on a space ship!

Dont be such a whiner, I dont know why you torture yourself, if you have all these problems with the show

Forum Regular
    I completely agree with you ForzaItalia!
    Though I think it changed somewhere around season 4.

What I think is that the writers for some reason listened to the people that were screaming that show wasn't anything like the unrealistic comic books or cartoons.

I liked the "Clark goes to highschool and lives life (including hanging out with friends, getting advice from parents and gradually grows up and becomes Superman"-vibe that it use to have.
    Now it's so weird with all the weird characters and plots.
    I don't see how the current problems shows how Clark turns to Superman.

Actually I believe that the show shifted it's targeted age group as well.
    I use to be a teen/adolescent show with real characters and real-life experiences (with some supernatural expects), but now it feels more like a kiddy superhero show which just shows some flashy stuff with some empty characters and know real story.

I hope they can still turn the show back around, but I doubt it.

If I just jumped into watching Smallville now with the current storyline then I probably wouldn't like the show.
    The only reason I watch it now is, because I really liked the show the first couple seasons and it's part of my routine now.

I do like the Brainiac character btw.
    Last edited by 2shae; 03-03-2008 at 10:41 AM.

my opinion: It was inevitable. This version of Clark was doomed to failiure and mediocrity from the pilot. Why? because of the desire to milk all the money from a concept as possible

Of course the first seasons were the best cause they all the time in the world to play with and explore teen Clark at their leisure. But if the writers really cared about the character more than the network's bottom line this show should've ended with Season 4 or 5... or MAYBE they could've gotten away with a S6; but then Toyota and Sprint and the like wouldn't be funneling $$ into it anymore.

One thing even Superman can't beat: capitalism. He never had a chance from the start.

But even so, this didn't have to mean the destruction of this Clark. Now I had a plan for this, how they could've kept going and continued growth, have Clark travel for the last couple seasons. Yeah it might've been cost-prohibitive, but you can be sure it wouldn't have been boring
    Last edited by Zod in my pocket; 03-03-2008 at 10:56 AM.

Totally Obsessed jimmyolsenblues's Avatar
    What went wrong with Smallville?

1) Clark's inability to search for people who need his help
    2) Clark's inability to solve a crime by himself
    3) Lexana getting married and pregnant
    4) Krypto freaks and kryptonite over used

^Totally and I may add:
    5) too many soap opera like plots and triangles
    6) psycho Jor-el
    7) no actual character development as far as Clark is concerned (especially in season 7)
    Last edited by GuardianAngel; 03-03-2008 at 11:42 AM.

I agree with the John Schnieder part. By making Lionel a good guy it means Jonathon died for nothing. I know you can argue that the character was meant to die at some point seeing as how technically is part of the Superman cannon (pre crisis that is) but they should not have killed him off as early as season 5. I'd love to see how different the show would be now if he and Martha were around to help Kara.

[QUOTE=kal-05;3624108]I agree with the John Schnieder part. By making Lionel a good guy it means Jonathon died for nothing. QUOTE]

THANK YOU!
    I'm glad one other person understands what I'm saying there.

Banned
    17 years of Clana, may have broken, the camel's back.

Quote Originally Posted by kal-05 View Post
    I'd love to see how different the show would be now if Jonathan and Martha were around to help Kara.
    Amen!

I still really like the show, so im fine with it. Yes there have been some lame episodes but im not bored with it at all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Black*Rider View Post
    I still really like the show, so im fine with it. Yes there have been some lame episodes but im not bored with it at all.
    you enjoy, the Clana drama ?

Clana should have never happened let alone lasted this damn long.

Mate im just happy to watch it. In Australia, we not as lucky as you guys in the US, when it comes to seeing a smallville episode. Yes some of the parts can suck but all shows have that.

Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... LastLast