No announcement yet.

Ep 4.14_Krypto

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arbar
    I don't think that part was quite fair - I have looked at the whole picture, I've researched the issues, and that's how I've come to those beliefs. I understand you have different beliefs, but that's not really a reason to suggest I'm not informed. We all have opinions, and someone's going to disagree with them somewhere. For what's it's worth, I *am* sorry I mentioned it, and I should have known better
    At least I can agree on this, I'm sorry you mentioned it as well and now it's time to move on.

----- Added 11 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Freawaru
    There are also other reasons to experiment on animals when a substance like kryptonite came to earth. As we know kryptonite is by no means as safe a substance as the government claimed. Already in season one we have that guy in "Jitters" who was exposed to too much kryptonite in an accident. In season two we had Dr. Hamilton. Lionel knew about these and it would have been only logical to find out what exactly meteor stone and it's radiation does to mammals, and if possible to find a cure. Smallville still sends contaminated food all over America, many humans were and still are in lethal danger because of it. I mean, it is like in Fukushima, except that people still buy the contaminated food in good faith because their government tells them it is harmless and healthy.
    I really don't think Lionel was experimenting with Kryptonite for the benefit of mankind. I believe he cloned the little girl with green K in hopes of maybe using a liver to replace his own diseased liver from his own clone. He was ahead of Lex about cloning and and Lex just carried on what his father already started. The experimentation with the dogs was just the beginning of trying to use green K for Lionel's benefit. The dogs were stronger and this also would be something Lionel would be interested in if he could produce a super human.
    Last edited by SnowBird; 06-28-2012, 01:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Loved the episode <3

Comment

Originally posted by SnowBird
        At least I can agree on this, I'm sorry you mentioned it as well and now it's time to move on.
        Golly, you're gracious.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowBird
          I really don't think Lionel was experimenting with Kryptonite for the benefit of mankind. I believe he cloned the little girl with green K in hopes of maybe using a liver to replace his own diseased liver from his own clone. He was ahead of Lex about cloning and and Lex just carried on what his father already started. The experimentation with the dogs was just the beginning of trying to use green K for Lionel's benefit. The dogs were stronger and this also would be something Lionel would be interested in if he could produce a super human.
          You know, I tend to think that both Lionel and Lex usually have more than one motive for whatever they do. Thus I fully agree with you, too. To heal himself clearly was a priority to Lionel, he even made a deal with Dr. Swann with his side of the deal being "everything" (I suspect him becoming vessel to Jor El was this "everything").

I was trying to point out that if a new substance like kryptonite would be found the scientific way would be to first test it in vitro, then on plants (like in "level 3" in "Jitters"), then on animals. So that one has a good idea what it does to humans. Dr. Hamilton mentions something like this to Lex in season one, after Lex hired him to find out more about the meteor stone. It is not just about being able to use such a substance for one's benefit or wealth but also for protection and health. "Is it damaging to the human body ?" is an important question regarding all new substances.

Seriously, meteor rock even emits radiation - and the government declared it okay? I am still more than miffed with that government and if you ask me Lex was the only person who ever really was acting in a responsible way. I mean, the Kents knew how dangerous kryptonite was - at least in the middle to later seasons - but did they ever consider not selling contaminated food any more? Did they ever test how much kryptonite was in the food they sell as "healthy"? Once Lex found out at least he had a bad conscience about all the contaminated fertilizer Luthorcorp had been and still was spreading and spend billions on rectifying the situation. But the Kents just denied the truth and did their best to keep their illusion that they are soooo good and loving and not hurting anybody. Maybe they did not intend to hurt anybody but as others have mentioned "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". Or to use it's alternative form "hell is full of good meanings, but heaven is full of good works". And when it comes to works Lex still is closer to heaven than Jonathan and Martha.

Comment

One of those episodes that is memorable for the banter between Lois and Clark. On this occasion it is played as the typical banter between siblings rather than two friends who subconsciously like each other. Clark revels in Lois' misfortune (her allergy, stepping in dog c**p, wasting a morning printing flyers) and Lois revels in teasing Clark by trying to name the dog Clarkie. Just like with Clark, she's actually very fond of the dog but publicly gives off an air of annoyance. And of course the dog himself is the star of the show - Shelby's whining is too cute.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

First appearance of Shelby. They were obviously referencing Krypto from the old Superboy comics. However, I appreciate that they didn't do the actual dog from Krypton, as that would've been problematic. For starters, that would take more backstory (meaning they'd have to spend more time on exposition). You can't just have a dog from Krypton show up (not to mention, it would then mean that they would've had a superpowered Kryptonian dog, running around Smallville from now on. Shelby they could depower after one episode). Meanwhile, animal experiments are a real thing, so that gave Shelby an easier backstory. Animal experiments are real. So, in a world with Kryptonite (which has been shown to have mutagenic properties), someone is bound to eventually do some experiments, where they test the meteor rocks on animals. I also appreciate that they establish that they had combined meteor rock with steriods. It means that they're not just injected with Kryptonite, but rather a serum combining multiple things. Kryptonite is just one of them. Often they didn't draw attention to these things, which made it seem like Kryptonite could do anything (virtually on its own), when it was really Kryptonite mixed with other things.

I do think they should've linked this strength serum, to the stuff Eric Marsh took in "Witness". Would've been a nice bit of continuity. Sometimes something was introduced, then was never explored further. In season one, you had that kid with invisiblity oil. Yet, no one seems to have thought about studying it further. Then you have Jodi Melville and her vegetable mix, which allowed instant weightloss. That would seem like something a big company like LuthorCorp would like to study. Find a way to fix the side effects and you've got a diet product, that would give instant results. There'd be a lot of money in it. By connecting this serum to Eric Marsh's, they would've said that LuthorCorp took his formula and began trying to enhance and improve it. Instead, you've got two unrelated strength serums, that both contains Kryptonite.

Comment

Originally posted by Freawaru
                  Seriously, meteor rock even emits radiation - and the government declared it okay?
                  Wouldn't surprise me if Lionel bribed the scientists, that were assigned to study the meteors rocks after the 1989 meteor shower, in order to keep the truth about Kryptonite (and what it can do) secret (making sure he can do all the experiments he wants, without government interference and/or rival companies).

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎