Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by berniepooh
    After Lionel and Lillian physically fight each other and physically and verbally abuse Alexander, little Lex whispers "Please don't leave." This moment is illuminating for several reasons, but primarily it clarifies that Lex has lost everyone in his life that has ever meant anything to him; including Clark.

It also shows that no one; not Lionel, not Lana, not his nanny, not any of his wives, and not even his mother, really loved Lex. Everyone in his life has always chosen to put their own needs before his. Lex has never experienced unselfish, unconditional, supportive love. His experience with Lana was the most recent, but also possibly the most damaging to his psyche. While many fans are saying Lex messed Lana up...she did a major number on him as well, and possibly pushed him to the breaking point where he can never trust anyone enough to open himself up to love again. Lana promised to love Lex forever and abandoned him like everyone else.

No wonder Lex doesn't trust anyone. This episode was a great vehicle to understanding why Lex Luthor becomes a hate filled villain.
    I think Lex needs a hug But these episods show us why he is the way he is in the future. Great analysis!

Comment

At the end when Clark told Lex, "Anything that has been lost can be found again." That's a good line in itself, but it's better because Clark heard Lex say that to Kara in Lex's memory, so now Lex just thinks it's ironic that Clark said the same thing he said when he wasn't even there! Lex's face after that line was great!

Comment

Originally posted by dunkman
        At the end when Clark told Lex, "Anything that has been lost can be found again." That's a good line in itself, but it's better because Clark heard Lex say that to Kara in Lex's memory, so now Lex just thinks it's ironic that Clark said the same thing he said when he wasn't even there! Lex's face after that line was great!
        I agree.
        The look on Lex's face was absolutely brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by WickedJenn
          Wasn't it rhetorically?
          "Hypothetical question, Lex!"

----- Added 9 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by berniepooh
          After Lionel and Lillian physically fight each other and physically and verbally abuse Alexander, little Lex whispers "Please don't leave." This moment is illuminating for several reasons, but primarily it clarifies that Lex has lost everyone in his life that has ever meant anything to him; including Clark.

It also shows that no one; not Lionel, not Lana, not his nanny, not any of his wives, and not even his mother, really loved Lex. Everyone in his life has always chosen to put their own needs before his. Lex has never experienced unselfish, unconditional, supportive love. His experience with Lana was the most recent, but also possibly the most damaging to his psyche. While many fans are saying Lex messed Lana up...she did a major number on him as well, and possibly pushed him to the breaking point where he can never trust anyone enough to open himself up to love again. Lana promised to love Lex forever and abandoned him like everyone else.

No wonder Lex doesn't trust anyone. This episode was a great vehicle to understanding why Lex Luthor becomes a hate filled villain.

Agreed, although I should clarify that I only agree with respect to Lex's perception. Lex did a lot of things that would make it difficult for anyone to love him. He was constantly invading Clark's privacy, and ended up putting his entire family (and Lana) in danger to try to find out his secrets. You can't be friends with someone whos' that obsessed with you...if that happened in real life you'd need a restraining order. And Lex basically broke Clark and Lana up in order to get with Lana to begin with. He was completely dishonest and manipulative to her. I actually believe that Lana really wanted to love Lex in the beginning...he had always been good to Lana (as far as she knew, anyway), she got to go on all these trips and live in a mansion, and it had the added bonus of really sticking it to her ex.

That being said, I agree with you that from Lex's perspective, everyone has abandoned him. No one has really loved him unconditionally. And from the look of the end of this episode, he has stopped caring. I think that when he killed Julian, that was the end of his quest for love. When Lionel told him that he loved him, he just shrugged it off and walked out the door. I thought that was a great scene, by the way.
          Last edited by ClarksGal; 02-15-2008, 12:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Lois said, "Rhetorical question Lex"! Meaning it didn't require an answer. Lex probably would have said Yes, at least Lois thought so.

Comment

Lex to Clark, "I always knew there was a voyeur, lurking behind that telescope" Classic!

Comment

"Speaking of heartbeats, you didn't have one for 18 hours."

well that was a bit of a shock. Poor clark (and chloe, although at first it didnt seem to bother her much)

Comment

Originally posted by SparkleforSmallville
                  Lois said, "Rhetorical question Lex"! Meaning it didn't require an answer. Lex probably would have said Yes, at least Lois thought so.
                  great quote indeed!

Comment

Chloe: "Clark, just be careful.... OK?"

Comment

My favourite line of the episode was:
                      "Clark, you're my best friend."
                      "Promise me you will never stop fighting."

It makes you believe that their is a part of Lex that doesn't like what he has become.

Comment

I loved Chloe's whole speech at the end about how now that she has the powers what is her responsibilities? I didn't tape the epi so I don't have the quote. I just liked that Chloe was thinking seriously about her power and how she should bless humanity with it and she implied that Clark should do that too.

Comment

Lois to Lex: " Well sail along Columbus, I'm gonna chart my own course to find her."

Comment

FAVORITE FRACTURE QUOTES:

1) Clark Kent & Chloe Sullivan:

Chloe: Clark, this is Lois' phone.

Clark: Lois, Kara, and Lex?

Chloe: Not exactly "Three's Company."

Clark: Kara's wearing a bandage. She may be hurt, which means she doesn't have her powers. And whoever Lex was dealing with wasn't playing around, which means that if Lois and Kara were with him... then they're in danger. We need to find them.

Chloe: I'll use my healing powers on Lex, and he can tell us where Lois and Kara went.

Clark: Chloe, the last time you used your powers, I pulled you out of a morgue refrigerator.

Chloe: Yeah, and then I walked out of there with a clean bill of health and some cold feet.

Clark: Chloe, if you use your powers again, you coud die permanently.

Chloe: Or I could just be adjusting to the growing pains. I mean, we don't know. Nothing happened when I healed Jimmy. We have no choice. The only clues we have to where they might be are trapped inside Lex's mind.

2) Lex (to Kara): There's nothing that's lost that can't be found again.

3) Clark & Little Alexander

Alexander: Clark, don't go!

Clark: I have to.

Alexander: You're the only friend I have (although Alexander didn't say this out loud, the closed-captioned had this transcript).

Clark: All right. Let's make a promise. Promise me that we will see each other again.

Alexander: I promise, Clark.

Clark: Promise me this, too -- That you will never stop fighting. You're stronger than you think.

Alexander: How do you know?

Clark (smiling at little Alexander): Because you're my friend. And now I know you're here, so I will always keep an eye out for you. I'll always be here for you.

4) Clark & Chloe

Chloe: Lois didn't see me, you know, dead, did she?

Clark: She had to shoot back to the Planet to write a story about what happened at Detroit.

Chloe (smiling): Lex will kill that story in a heartbeat.

Clark (looking at Chloe seriously): Speaking of heartbeats, you didn't have 1 for over 18 hours.

Chloe (trying to laugh it off): Look, I was hoping to skip the lecture, and go straight to the "Welcome back" dinner. I am starving.

Clark (looking at Chloe as if to say, "This is not funny"): Fifteen hours longer than the last time, Chloe! I have been sitting here, literally, trying to figure out what to say, at your funeral.

Chloe (smiling): Well, let's both be glad that I'm alive. 'Cause I know how much you hate giving speeches.

Clark: Chloe, I appreciate what you did for me. It goes beyond friendship (Clark has a sad tone in his voice), but you can never do it again.

Chloe (looks amazed about her gift): Clark, I have the power to save people's lives. Now obviously, I'm the last person who thought she would drag Lex back from the clutches of death, but it was my decision to make.

Clark: Of course it was.

Chloe: But you know, you're not wrong. I mean, as great as this power is, it does come with a lot of consequences. And I think that one of the responsibilities for both of us is. . . staying alive. You know, maybe I am pushing my luck with this whole death thing. I mean, it is death, after all.

Clark: Does that mean you aren't going to use your abilities again?

Chloe: It means, I'm more confused now than ever. Out of the entire catalog of meteor abilities, why was I the one chosen to be in charge of such an amazing gift?

Clark looks at Chloe, not knowing what to say.

5) Clark & Lex

Lex: It's like a reflex. I see you and I start defending myself.

Clark (smiling at Lex): Well, that's what guilt does to a person. Now what were you doing in Detroit with Kara?

Lex: I was trying to help her.

Clark: And she ended up kidnapped. (Clark looks at Lex seriously) You knew she had amnesia.

Lex: Sure, once she told me. That's when I volunteered my help.

Clark: Did it ever occur to you to pick up a phone and call me?

Lex: I did call you -- twice. Lana hung up on me before I could get a word out.

Clark (turns around and looks at Lex): Do you even know when you're lying anymore?

Lex: You know, I stopped pretending to care whether or not you believe me, so why don't you?

Clark: Because I do care, Lex. And there's a side of you that know what's right.

Lex: Wow. Now what would I do without Clark Kent, voice of reason?

Clark: That voice isn't me, Lex. It's you. There's still good inside of you. Let that voice lead you back to it.

Lex: I didn't know it would only take a brush with death to see your softer side.

Clark: Trust me, Lex. There's nothing that's lost that can't be found again.

Lex looks at Clark and he is speechless. He doesn't know what to say. Clark walks out of the door.
                            Last edited by tibbit78; 10-25-2008, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Lois: Does MacGyver blush every time he walks past me?

Comment

Clark (to Chloe): "What you did went way beyond friendship."

Young Lex "Clark, you're my best friend."

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎