Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally Someone tells Clark right to his face that was he does is inconciderate

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Except Clark could have left when the Phantom was gone. He told Ollie he needed to fix the problem he created.

Comment

Originally posted by heromyth
      That's dead on. Also, keep in mind that Clark will live forever and he'll go on helping people for for millennia after Oliver’s gone, that Clark’s progression toward becoming the intergalactic defender of Earth has been slow is irrelevant; Clark’s got all the time in the world and then some to fulfill his destiny, Oliver’s got one lifetime and the impetus fueling his sense of urgency is to a small degree selfish—to make a difference while he still has some breath left to enjoy the fruits of his efforts. Clark’s work will literally never be finished, evil never sleeps and every generation that Clark delivers will be succeeded by another that won’t fully appreciate or learn from the lessons his heroism will attempt to instill. Clark will have to repeatedly pull humanity back from the brink of extinction. If Clark seems slow to embark on a mission of this magnitude or if the preparation leading up to it seems belabored or repetitive that’s understandable. Hero’s aren’t perfect during their embryonic, developmental stages; they are in fact a reflection, a microcosm of who they’ll eventually rescue, in this case, all of humanity—a species as dull as sheep, never learning from their collective or individual histories, thoughtlessly stumbling into one calamity after another, sound familiar? Clark isn’t supposed to fully remain us of Superman right now; he’s supposed to be a “type”, an archetypal symbol of the flawed, wayward and yet rare, transcendently precious human race—past, present and future. Heroes must overcome in themselves the very same deficiencies that bind their damsels in distress. Oliver couldn’t possibly fathom the breadth of Clark’s role on the Earth; the problem is that right now, Clark can’t either. Every hero’s journey includes a period of anonymity or obscurity before the world knows their name along with a period of solitude (Christ’s childhood and 40 day trial in the wilderness spring to mind) and Clark’s learned about all he can while toiling in the anonymity afforded by a tiny, nondescript, agrarian town, the FOS is the logical and necessary next step he’ll have to take and it should happen by this season’s finale.
      Now I'm more certain then ever you are a writer or a producer of the show. I thought so in your post yesterday.

I don't agree that Clark should be this slow in helping others he doesn't know. We saw him more proactive in Combat and I really like him stepping up even if he did it because he was upset about Lana. I can also see the weight that Jor-el places on Clark and that too would impede his willingness to join Ollie. I think the problem is how slow Clark has been in coming into his own. It's like the writers give him one step forward, 2 steps back instead of a slow and easy consistent progress.

Comment

Originally posted by heromyth
        That's dead on. Also, keep in mind that Clark will live forever and he'll go on helping people for for millennia after Oliver’s gone, that Clark’s progression toward becoming the intergalactic defender of Earth has been slow is irrelevant; Clark’s got all the time in the world and then some to fulfill his destiny,
        But the people he could be helping right now don't have that kind of time to wait.

"The fierce urgency of now" to quote MLK.

the FOS is the logical and necessary next step he’ll have to take and it should happen by this season’s finale.
        He'd do better by traveling the world.

I never cared for Donner's (Superman:The Movie) training scenario. I much prefer how they handled it in comic verse. Clark leaves Smallville after high school, travels the world. He saves people at the same time learns his limitations, the languages of all the different peoples, their cultures and customs, and faces failure.

Comment

Originally posted by pharaoh8
          actually everyone said exactly what was needed to be said to that person they were speaking to. ollie to clark, clark to ollie, lana to clark, clark to lana, lana to lionel, lionel to lana.
          ITA!

Comment

Originally posted by Superboy2
            Except Clark could have left when the Phantom was gone. He told Ollie he needed to fix the problem he created.
            Don't forget that it was Jor-el who said to stay and watch over Kara. Clark was simply doing what his father asked of him for once. I do think Clark has learned his lesson regarding Jor-el. When he obeys things work out OK and when he doesn't there's a consequence.

Comment

Originally posted by All about Clark
              I do not. Clark has had a full plate in dealing with Kara, Jor-el, and the phantom this season. I don't see him as lounging at home, but having to carefully think what is best. Not to mention he spent a month trapped in the fortress.

I think until Ollie has walked a mile in Clark's shoes, he does not have the right to tell him he's not up to parr. It's one thing if he keeps asking when Clark is ready to join him, and quite another to say he is failing.
              I agree. Ollie has no right to judge Clark. Ollie hasn't gone through a quarter of what Clark has in his life. I can understand Ollie wanting Clark to be more proactive, hell so do I, but he has not nor will he ever have to deal with things that Clark will.

Comment

Now I'm more certain then ever you are a writer or a producer of the show. I thought so in your post yesterday.

I don't agree that Clark should be this slow in helping others he doesn't know. We saw him more proactive in Combat and I really like him stepping up even if he did it because he was upset about Lana. I can also see the weight that Jor-el places on Clark and that too would impede his willingness to join Ollie. I think the problem is how slow Clark has been in coming into his own. It's like the writers give him one step forward, 2 steps back instead of a slow and easy consistent progress.
                Yeah, I think a lot of the writers read these posts and take ideas from us. So I'm in full agreement with you, All about Clark. It's so weird seeing the exact same things we've said on these forums appear on an episode and I'm mean word for word VERBATIM. I'm glad that the writers and producers visit these forums so regularly, but they are going to have to start paying us, since it's obvious they use our words and story ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Lara Lane
                  But every good Clark's done, he's done it because the situation crossed his path, but when has he been a proactive defender? And yes, he's tied to Smallville but he is "faster than a bullet" and can go virtually anywhere 'to do good' and be back in Smallville, or wait, he can start dong some good on his own on his own Town. Anyway, what Ollie said was necessary for his development (I hope we'll see some of it after all ).
                  He was proactive in earlier seasons before he got so close to Lana. The best example is Shattered. If you watch that again, you will see how he was closer to being Superman then than he is now. In season 4 they started pairing him off with Lois so they could satisfy Clois shippers and it started chipping away at the great character building they did with Clark. Then the next season, he was all about Lana. The following season after that was another Lana-centric season for Clark and plus, his screentime was drastically cut to make room for Ollie. Season 7 is all about Lana again for Clark.

The main problem with Clark has been the way he's been written. They can't have him speeding all over the world since the show is titled Smallville. I would like to see him running around at the minimum every other episode, but I doubt it will happen. It's one of the limits of the show. The biggest problem is that Al/Miles have to tie Clark down to Lana because that's what they think is successful. But all it results in is finding ways to make Clark not accept his destiny, and the only way to do that is by having him make mistakes over & over & over again and keep repeating them.

Comment

Originally posted by Girardin
                    I actually think that Clark is totally right with the whole Lana thing. Clark always looks out for everyone else, heck, the whole reason he went to the fortress and got trapped there was to save everyone during the eclipse. He's right, Lana is supposed to know him best, and considering that she didn't see anything wrong with the sudden change in his personality, and how much she loves Bizarro more than Clark, he has a right to feel awkward and angry about the situation.

Oliver was half-right. Clark shouldn't be sitting around on the farm. However, he's been stuck in ice for a month, and the past few days or so (between Persona and Siren) there haven't been any immediate threats. He's been trying to readjust to the life that's changed while he was trapped.

Oliver is completely right! Clark is certainly doing his share to make the world a better place, but he could still do more, if just accepted the fact that his destiny lies further than a country-life-style bliss with Lana!

Comment

^^^
                      Lana is not the one holding him back. Clark is holding Clark back. He is still holding on to what Lana was, as a girl. He is growing to understand that Lana has changed. Even Chloe mentinoned that Lana is not the same girl from high school and then Clark says," I dont want to talk about it". I think Lana is the one that taught him how to feel and understand emotions. If you watch the whole picture you would see that.
                      She did say that Bizarro's relationship was easier no complications. Who wants complications!! Its true about Clark and his self righteous expectations of Lana, she was right. No one can live up to it. Thats why his relationship with Lois in the future will work out. You bring what you have learned from past experiences such as friendships, relationships,etc. So yes Clark was being a PIG headed creep. Its all his fault with his insecurities of Lana. She did try hard for their relationship to work. Seven years of it. The itch is coming.

Comment

Originally posted by kentfamily
                        ^^^
                        Lana is not the one holding him back. Clark is holding Clark back. He is still holding on to what Lana was, as a girl. He is growing to understand that Lana has changed. Even Chloe mentinoned that Lana is not the same girl from high school and then Clark says," I dont want to talk about it". I think Lana is the one that taught him how to feel and understand emotions. If you watch the whole picture you would see that.
                        She did say that Bizarro's relationship was easier no complications. Who wants complications!! Its true about Clark and his self righteous expectations of Lana, she was right. No one can live up to it. Thats why his relationship with Lois in the future will work out. You bring what you have learned from past experiences such as friendships, relationships,etc. So yes Clark was being a PIG headed creep. Its all his fault with his insecurities of Lana. She did try hard for their relationship to work. Seven years of it. The itch is coming.
                        I get what you're saying. I think the best way to explain it is by saying Al/Miles are holding Clark back using their twisted ideas of what Lana should be as a character as the means of doing it.

Comment

I respected everyone's opinions in this forum, and some of you are right that Clark is holding Clark back because he chooses to be with Lana. but the thing is that Clark doesn't see the bigger picture. Ollie said that while Clark is at home cuddling with Lana he's out there making a difference in the world, and he has sacrificed loved one just for the job he is doing. When Ollie said this it rang a bell in his head. Ollie has sacrificed his love for Lois just to bring down the bad guys, Clark simply isn't willing to do anything of the sort just to make a difference for people he doesn't know. Sure you can call Clark a hero, but I don't anymore. He doesn't help strangers that need help, he waits for trouble to cross his path because it usually comes from Lana or Chloe or someone he knows, not someone he is associated with. I agree with Xrayvision when he said that Clark was closer to being Superman in the earlier seasons. He didnt hesitate to help others that he didn't know, but the closer he got to Lana the more selfish he became. The fact that this relationship is still alive after all the terrible things that go wrong amazes me. The creators of the show have really reduced the character to rubble.

Comment

ollie was dead on with his criticism of clark. he spends so much time trying to be something that he is not he needs someone to push him into being what he is to become in the movies it was his dads death but not here so hopefully it will be a combination of oliver and to a point the martian manhunter who see his potential and the hopefully renewed threat of brainiac who is more than wiling to travel the earth doing what he needs to do to fulfill his programming knowing clark will not leave his little cocoon of comfort

Comment

Give Clark some time.

One thing that comes to mind is that Clark is what 20, 21 and I have not meant to many young people at that age who can say for a fact that they are ready to save the world.

After all Superman was around 30 plus before he does, take on that job. And like one poster said Clark is going to around a he** of a lot longer then any of the super hero's that are alive today. Give him some time and he will get there..

Just my 2cents!

Take Care,

Jack
                              Last edited by jack1487; 02-09-2008, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jack1487
                                One thing that comes to mind is that Clark is what 20, 21 and I have not meant to many young people at that age who can say for a fact that they are ready to save the world. After all Superman was around 30 plus before he does, take on that job. And like one poster said Clark is going to around a he** of a lot longer then any of the super hero's that are alive today. Give him some time and he will get there..

Just my 2cents!

Take Care,

Jack

thats beside the point. Clark knows he has a destiny. he has a calling. are you telling me what he does now doesnt matter because he'll live forever? thats ridiculous. you can live for 100 years, does that mean you should not finish school until your about 40 or 50? clark can make a difference now! there are people that need help, you're telling me its okay people die and get hurt now because he'll make the decision to save people like that in 10 years? no. its just completely wrong to think like that. this is the problem with this show and the problem with some of its viewers. everyone thinks its okay that he's not making a difference for right now because he'll get to it someday while lower beings with less abilites than him do a smidge of the work he can do. thats bull crap and im completely offended at that comment.

I mean thats like saying you see a kid playing in a street with a ball and theres this car with a drunk person aiming right for the kid. is it okay for you to just stand there even though you have more than enough time to run over there and save him, you just stand there and watch it happen or turn your back to it knowing the kid will more than likely die? no you will more than likely act and try to save the kids life even at the expense of your own. knowing something bad is happening and then doing nothing makes you less of a hero if one at all. after the kid gets hit you vow that later on in your life you'll make the decision to do something instead of standing there and do nothing doesnt help the fact that you could have saved the kid at that time. really its retarded to think like that. I dont think people understand.

Clark has the ability to save millions, no im sorry, billions of people! yet he chooses not to. he's stuck on the farm with lana. its very selfish and he's supposed to be the most selfless person in the world. he's a messiah for a new age of humanity, giving up much for a greater cause. but the way some of the people try to justify his selfish actions is sickening especially when they say things like it doesnt matter because he'll live forever. first of all it does matter because he can save those people and secondly he wont live forever he does age but slower than the average person. its not a matter of what will happen later, though its what he is doing now that matters! at 22 years of age you should have a very good idea of who you are and where you are going. what kind of mark are you willing to leave on the world. The character doesn't look at himself and ask these questions, he's still worried if his girlfriend will be here tomorrow and thats a small segment of the big picture here.

What ollie said to Clark should have been the most inspiring thing another hero could say to another. It was harsh but it was needed. Oliver is putting his life on the line to make sure that people with abilities and without abilities are alive to see another day and arent being tortured or wronged. Oliver gave up his life with Lois to make a difference in the world. Clark went back home to try to work things out with Lana and had little regard to work with the JL and help strangers that he didnt know but needed his assistance/help.

People use the whole Donner concept so much on these boards like that is the testament of Superman, like he never tried to help others until he was 30 and thats crap. the donner films have truly tarnished the superman lore to a huge degree. while the movies (or rather movies) are good, its not what the character is about. first of all him becoming superman is a choice, not him being a by product of jor-els will. secondly read the story "Superman:birthright" and i dont care how you read it via download or buying it or renting it but check it out and tell me what you think of it. It shows clark kent wanting to use his abilities by choice to help people before he wore the uniform in primary colors. I love that comic with a passion becase it showed why he loved life and wanted to preserve it. he said it was a beautiful thing and its why he wanted to make a difference based off of that. what superhero is about just that alone? i swear people that watch this dont know him and dont know crap about the character besides those damn donner films and dont have a true love for the character a damn whole.

He can make a difference now, the show ruined his character, theres no true coming back from the way he has been depicted on Smallville. He's selfish, ignorant, oblivious, and stupid. The character is more than that.

and im not talking about kal-el more and not bad clark more. I'm talking about more than that. he's a great being and the true reason why i have so much hope in a great many things in this world. Superman represents the best humanity has to offer themselves. if more humans were like him, without the abilities, we'd live in a better society. a better world. we'd have a better tomorrow. its why he got the name "the man of tomorrow." because he's forging a better future today.

I'm sorry i'm rambling but I want people to know why i'm so against this show now. all of you people that are on here and just watch it because you like the movies do me a favor and seriously do research on teh superman lore and read "Superman:birthright" at least. it'll bring clarity to what he's about.
                                Last edited by Theshadow129x; 02-09-2008, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎