Collapse
No announcement yet.

is lana naive or that stupid?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think there are a few things that factor into Lana being stupid.

People keep saying Chloe didn't know either. Well, yeah, Clark stopped visiting her at the DP. If "Clark" had been, he'd have known about Lex's plot much earlier and wouldn't have been confused by the DP chaos when he arrived. Simple as that. She also had one conversation with him that revealed he forgot all about the Miss Sweet Corn Debacle. That's a big deal. Not because of the shield but because the pageant itself was such a dramafest for him and Kara. He fought with her about it, she got thrown into jail because of it, the weather girls and convenient green K almost killed him. He'd have remembered that. An SOS from yet another Kryptonian, likewise, would not have been forgotten.

However, the point here is that he and Lana were living and working together. If they weren't having sex, they were at Isis looking for Brainiac. They were together all day every day and he's missing about seven months of Clark's memories. If you were with someone who quite clearly didn't remember anything from MAY on, there should be massive gaps in your conversation. It's not just about the big things like Lex or Brainiac or Kara. I'm talking little things like current events of the last month or so, things that he and Lana had been through regarding her actions in Wrath, substantive daily conversations, inside jokes a couple has. Bizarro wouldn't know them and it should be obvious that he didn't.

Second, follow me here, Clark is a FARMER. I know it's winter and he doesn't have to go out to the fields. But he has cows and horses to take care of. He has fences and equipment to maintain. He has work to do OUTSIDE where the direct sunlight is. To make his charade work, Bizarro quite clearly had to avoid direct sunlight. How oblivious are you when your boyfriend, the FARMER, stops going out in sunlight?

Third, the big things matter. Clark wasn't in character at all. Since when would Clark, who's always felt terribly alone and awful about being the only one, give up on the search for his blood family? Why would he shake off being unable to find Kara and just go back to having some sex with his girlfriend. This is the same guy who was desperate enough a few weeks prior to clone his dead mother so he could have a family and now he's just fine with Kara being gone?

Fourth, he loves his farm. He's scary devoted to it (probably from a sense of guilt over his father's death). His mother has been prodding him to leave it and to see the world/get an education and he still won't leave it behind. He's been working it for almost two years instead of finishing college. Suddenly after getting back from the Fortress, he's excited about leaving Smallville completely behind and going to Paris? Clark Kent is going to Paris? Where would he even get the money? Dude, the Kents find new plaid an expense. There's no way the son of permanently in-debt farms with a barely solvent farm is going to just throw all caution to the wind and leave for Paris.

There are so many more examples, but the point is that most of the behavior changes aren't even about Clark-as-Superman. They're about changes in his attitude that don't match how he was raised as a Kent or that, frankly, would indicate some severe amnesia on his part that should have been noticeable.

Lana didn't notice any of that. As long as Biz kept her from "remembering what the sun looked like" she was perfectly happy. Like BadToad said, he wasn't even trying to go after Lex, unless the key to stopping 33.1 was under their sheets. He was just having sex and being lovey-dovey with her and ignoring EVERYTHING else in his life---Lex Luthor, Chloe, Kara, the farm. That's not Clark. He takes responsibility very seriously.

Lana is either the dumbest human being alive for not realizing her boyfriend wasn't her boyfriend or she simply DID NOT CARE as long as she got what she wanted. Her conversation with Chloe and her refusal to believe something might have mindwhammied Clark indicate the latter.

And yes, Clark has shown over and over again that he loves her. He gave her the romantic picnic, she tried to KILL HIM WITH HIS POWERS and he forgave her and let her continue to live on HIS FARM, she tortured his father's emissary and it was all hunky dory. He let her in on Kara's secret and told her about his mom's crystal when he didn't tell anyone else. He's given all he has to give and if it's not enough for her, then she needs to find a new boyfriend.

Comment

Lana is either the dumbest human being alive for not realizing her boyfriend wasn't her boyfriend or she simply DID NOT CARE as long as she got what she wanted. Her conversation with Chloe and her refusal to believe something might have mindwhammied Clark indicate the latter.

And yes, Clark has shown over and over again that he loves her. He gave her the romantic picnic, she tried to KILL HIM WITH HIS POWERS and he forgave her and let her continue to live on HIS FARM, she tortured his father's emissary and it was all hunky dory. He let her in on Kara's secret and told her about his mom's crystal when he didn't tell anyone else. He's given all he has to give and if it's not enough for her, then she needs to find a new boyfriend.[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by Cogito17
        Well, what I meant about Clark "acting like he loved her", was not so much to say that he wasn't acting like it before, I shouldn't have really put in the "for once", wasn't the point I was making. I more intended that as a response to a couple comments I have read on the boards that point out how Bizzaro was acting MORE committed to Lana than Clark and that was evidence that should have indicated to Lana that it was bizzaro. Sorry for the confusion, but thanks for somewhat arguing my point for me. If Clark was in fact acting like he loved her before (I agree with you) and Bizzaro acted the same way as well, then that is even less reason Lana should be able to identify bizzaro. Which, helps to prove the point I am trying to make for Lana.

And again, I am being pulled into debate on specific points, which is not what I am trying to argue. I am arguing that there is a general need for "Suspending beleif" for many parts of this show/Superman in general. You are required to believe the unbelievable, and the characters are allowed to do so for the sake of story telling (See my first post for examples). Yet, in this case, everyone is doing away with this idea so they can bash Lana.

And also, if you read my first post in the topic (bottom of page 1), I agree with you BadToad. I am not arguing that there aren't problems with Clark and Lana and that Clark shouldn't be upset. I am more arguing that the problem is a result of unfortunate circumstances (given the nature of the show and the story in general), as opposed to a flagrant, stupid, and obvious mistake by Lana.
        Lana is evil. Stop trying to defend her!

Comment

Does Lana really know Clark that well?Since when would he act so selfishly,wanted to sell the farm?Would want to go live somewhere else when his cousin is still missing.He always told Lana that his dream is to live on the farm with her.Most of all not thinking about his mom when he suddenly made this serious decision.Seriously,Lana was more happy with this Clark's version than the real one(she said it herself).That shows how she was seriously effected by Lex that her dark side is getting stronger than her good sense which I doubt that she has sometimes.

Comment

I don't think Lana really knows Clark, like Chloe does. Chloe saw something wrong because she knows him, Lana didn't, and had more time to see that something was wrong. She doesn't seem to want to accept someone until they're doing what she wants them to do. In Wrath, Clark was trying to be close to her, while her mind was on Lex and revenge. Obviously Clark wasn't giving her everything she wanted. She clearly wants someone who's focus is 100% on her, and that will never happen with Clark.

Comment

naive is when you don't know things but there's room to grow, stupid I must say there's no room at all, I say lana is just plain stupid

Comment

[QUOTE

And again, I am being pulled into debate on specific points, which is not what I am trying to argue. I am arguing that there is a general need for "Suspending beleif" for many parts of this show/Superman in general. You are required to believe the unbelievable, and the characters are allowed to do so for the sake of story telling (See my first post for examples). Yet, in this case, everyone is doing away with this idea so they can bash Lana.

QUOTE]

I can see where you're comming from but you have look a little deeper, specifically to the purpose of these plot devices. The dual identites of supes vs. clark, the need for suspended belief in that scenario is a plot device used so that the hero can have his two identies with no one being the wiser. That wasn't the goal of this plot at all. In fact the plot was designed to highlight just the opposite. That someone could have and should have been the wiser, that someone SHOULD have and COULD have noticed the difference in clarks personality, and lo and behold Lana DID NOT. Now whether it was out of stupidity, naivity or denial is for you all to debate. But suspended belief is not required here. In fact grounded belief was the point. Chloe knew something was wrong off the bat, Lana did not. A clear demostration that the clark she wants is not the clark that exists, and she was too blinded by self indulging to notice or accept it.
                Last edited by SlickBlonde; 02-07-2008, 03:47 PM.

Comment

She's just plain out, 100% stupid. she always thinks someone is really willing to do her bidding without her doing any sarcrificing and the thing is that no one is going to do that. if she wants that then she should go buy an english mastiff. it makes no sense for Chloe to be able to look at her friend and know somethings wrong and Lana, whose the guys girlfriend, know nothing about the situation at all and tell's Chloe to let Clark go. B*tch you let go and never come back on here. We hate you!!!

Comment

Oooh, this got dredged back up. This will be my last attempt to make my point.

We are talking about a show where an alien super speeds around, shoots fire from his eyes, and repeatedly saves people, with no disguise, while keeping his identity a secret.

The Superman story is the same thing, but there are 2 identities, one of which is made public. The only disguise he employs is changing his clothes/taking on or off glasses, and his identity remains a secret for, literally, decades. (Even from the love of his life/his "soulmate" - Lois)

Given the nature of the story, is it really so unbelievable that a perfect clone of a person, with all his memories and thoughts could keep his identity a secret?

It just seems like a double standard to buy into the plausibility of the first 2, but not the third. No one calls everyone on Smallville stupid, nor Lois. So why is Lana stupid for falling for an (arguably) far more believable disguise/secret identity.

Comment

Originally posted by Cogito17
                      Oooh, this got dredged back up. This will be my last attempt to make my point.

We are talking about a show where an alien super speeds around, shoots fire from his eyes, and repeatedly saves people, with no disguise, while keeping his identity a secret.

The Superman story is the same thing, but there are 2 identities, one of which is made public. The only disguise he employs is changing his clothes/taking on or off glasses, and his identity remains a secret for, literally, decades. (Even from the love of his life/his "soulmate" - Lois)

Given the nature of the story, is it really so unbelievable that a perfect clone of a person, with all his memories and thoughts could keep his identity a secret?

It just seems like a double standard to buy into the plausibility of the first 2, but not the third. No one calls everyone on Smallville stupid, nor Lois. So why is Lana stupid for falling for an (arguably) far more believable disguise/secret identity.
                      No one knows that it is Clark Kent because of the way he acts, not how he looks. Lois is in love with Superman, but doesn't give Clark the time of day (at least for a while). However, I guarantee that if SUPERMAN started acting differently, she would notice.
                      Does what I said make any sense? This is really the opposite of Superman. To Lois (and the rest of the world) Clark and Superman are different people. In Smallville, to Lana Clark is one and the same and all of a sudden he's acting a strangely and has little to no inhibitions. Did she not at least think about Red-K being a possibility?

Comment

Maybe Lana was attracted to Clark's change in attitude towards their relationship, the way he paid more attention, the way he was more open about his feelings. Bizarro is supposed to the spittin image of Clark except for the personalities. I guess she liked the "bad boy" Clark (Bizarro) more than the good boy bore. Even if she did know or didnt know it was Clark. The point was that he paid more attention to her and gave her what she needed. Wouldn't any woman want that? Hell, I'd cheat too, if I wasn't gettin any at home. Especially with a bad boy lookalike. So, no, Lana was not being stupid or naive. Her biggest mistake was to tell Clark that she was in bed with him (Bizarro). Big no no.
                        Last edited by kentfamily; 03-15-2008, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Don't forget Bizarro acted quite evilish around Chloe, even hurting her arm. she obviously noticed something was wrong. Clark was just more open, she should harly think "oh this must be someone else then".

Comment

a little bit of both but more stuipd.

Comment

More reason for Chlark over Clana. Lana can't even tell when it's a freaking intergalactic criminal posing as her boyfriend for a MONTH.

Chloe figured it out in 30 seconds, forcing Bizzaro to get violent (she was suspicious before he grabbed her arm). She even point blank TOLD Lana and Lana was her usual super ***** and didn't listen at all.

Chloe really showed her worth this episode, and we got to see another episode of the Clana train wreck. How do you have sex with someone for a month and not realize it? Moving out of Smallville? Superman forgetting because "he's got a lot on his mind?" Working together to take down Lex using illegal surveillance and underhanded methods?

You just don't know Clarkman if you think that's how he works. Lana was hopefully exposed in this episode to Clark, hopefully for good this time.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎