Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spoken Kryptonian language?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was very excited when I heard that technician speaking. I was certain it was Kryptonian and was glad because it's the first time I ever heard it spoken on a live action series. I just wish it was louder. I could barely hear what she was saying (not like I would understand it anyway).

Bizarro definitely knows how to transcribe Kryptonian ramblings into Kryptonian letters. I wonder if Clark also knows how to do that.

One thing that confused me was how Bizarro IIRC had to put those symbols into a computer to find out what they meant. Was that an act (just like him pretending to be Clark), or was it a case of unscrambling those symbols as it was in the episode Oracle?

Comment

I think it was mentioned int he episode he can read the symbols but the giberish they translate to made no sense

Comment

Originally posted by HowardFilms
        Uh, ClarksNextGF, we know that, and have said that. It's not new for Kryptonians to talk, the landmark is that in Superman Media, this is the first time we've ever HEARD kryptonian, as opposed to READING it.
        And you still haven't HEARD it .. she wasn't speaking - she was just spouting giberish. That's why they needed Chloe to translate it. If she had been speaking, there would have been no reason for the translation.

Comment

Here's what confuses me. When Clark got uploaded with Kryptonian info during Season 2, what was the extent? Does he only know how to read it or can he understand it like Bizarro?

Obviously Bizarro would know everything Clark knows up until the Season 6 finale, hence why he knew it was Kryptonian.

Comment

this was one big tip-off that it wasn't clark, at least for me. i immediately thought "how the hell would clark know how to translate spoken kryptonian to written kryptonian? wait a sec, how would he even recognize spoken kryptonian?"
            Last edited by red_cape_7; 12-16-2007, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Has it ever appear in the comics in any way? I don't think so lol... I thoug Kryptonians spoke english but had signs instead of an alphabet...

Comment

Gee, and all the while I thought she was speaking Klingon

A nice addition to the mythos, we hope AlMiles uses it again to some greater purpose...

In Hogan's Heroes how come all the Germans spoke to each other in English with German accents, eh????

I love seeing the old "Combat!" war series in which the French spoke French, Germans spoke German, no subtitles....added a true sense of realism to it.

OK, gotta go, the blood wine and gagh is ready.....

Comment

Originally posted by 83kaL
                  Has it ever appear in the comics in any way? I don't think so lol... I thoug Kryptonians spoke english but had signs instead of an alphabet...
                  Yes, Kryptonian (or Kryptonese as its called in the Superman comics) has appeared in the comic canon.

Superman can speak it fluently and it appears in its symbol form in the speech bubbles whenever he speaks it. The current Supergirl in the comics (Kara Zor-El) could only speak Kryptonese when she first came on Earth and that as well appeared in its symbol form.

Comment

Yeah when she started speaking in Kryptonian a big give away that it wasn't Clark but Bizarro was him writing in Kryptonian. Clark doesn't know the exact translation of the language as far as we are all aware. And the only one that can teach him in Kara or Jor-EL. Don't forget Kara was the only one who could open her ship since she could hear it's frequency.

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision
                      I was very excited when I heard that technician speaking. I was certain it was Kryptonian and was glad because it's the first time I ever heard it spoken on a live action series. I just wish it was louder. I could barely hear what she was saying (not like I would understand it anyway).

Bizarro definitely knows how to transcribe Kryptonian ramblings into Kryptonian letters. I wonder if Clark also knows how to do that.

One thing that confused me was how Bizarro IIRC had to put those symbols into a computer to find out what they meant. Was that an act (just like him pretending to be Clark), or was it a case of unscrambling those symbols as it was in the episode Oracle?
                      Chloe said it was like a computer code. So, I figure bizzaro was writing down the numbers, but didn't understand what the sequences meant. Chloe put all the numbers that he had translated from kryptonian into the computer to reviel the code. You know, like 00100100100111000, or some crap. He would know that 0010011000 was being said, but he would have no idea what it meant, until the code was figured out by a computer.

Comment

Yes that is exactly what I was trying to get at but could not find the words

Comment

Originally posted by red_cape_7
                          this was one big tip-off that it wasn't clark, at least for me. i immediately thought "how the hell would clark know how to translate spoken kryptonian to written kryptonian? wait a sec, how would he even recognize spoken kryptonian?"
                          When Clark first put the Key in the cave wall he got the kryptonian language. He shouldn't have any trouble understanding spoken Kryptonian. One would think that download would have encompassed more than just the meaning of the glyphs on the cave wall.

Comment

Originally posted by adromidon
                            he also could have been downloaded with it in the kawatchi cave when he learned how to read it
                            Which he magically doesn't know how to read anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by adromidon
                              I think it was mentioned int he episode he can read the symbols but the giberish they translate to made no sense
                              I believe you're correct. Those were Kryptonian words
                              As the Bizarro Clark was writing them using the K alphabet...
                              First Word: D U S T The second one began with a M.

Originally posted by Mello Penelo
                              Which he magically doesn't know how to read anymore.
                              You can thank the short memories of TPTB.

Originally posted by Mr. Clark Kent27
                              It was interesting though, maybe it's something they used to speak but maybe now they only speak English.
                              Yeah they ( TPTB ) missed a great opportunity with "Nam-Ek" and "Aethyr."
                              Last edited by Radioflyer; 12-18-2007, 01:11 AM.

Comment

You know this is off topic a little but one thing I noticed. is why is it that 98% of all Kryptonian males raised on Krypton speak with a British Accent. I know the actors are british but still would it make sense to say they were all british? Also inconsistencies lie there as well such as when Clark had that flash back of Jor-El coming to earth. He did not speak with a British accent wich makes you think is that something they just do because they a mimicing Humans or just an over looks flaw in continuity.

Originally posted by Radioflyer
                                I believe you're correct. Those were Kryptonian words
                                As the Bizarro Clark was writing them using the K alphabet...
                                First Word: D U S T The second one began with a M.

You can thank the short memories of TPTB.

Yeah they ( TPTB ) missed a great opportunity with "Nam-Ek" and "Aethyr."
                                You can read Kryptonian? lol How did you know what they translated to.

And my original point was Clark can read Kryptonian just fine but as mentioned a few post above the translation in SV anyway was supposed to be like a Hexidecimal error similar to what your computer gives when your get the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) it is safe to say that Bizzaro does not understand this as well thus he needs Chloe to turn Hexidecimal code into something useful to non computer nerds.
                                Last edited by adromidon; 12-18-2007, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎