Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people keep saying no air = dead?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yoshua
    Nope, only matters what the 'creator' intended
    So what did you do when Kring admits to a mistake as he has done? Does your opinion change with his?

Comment

All of my statements stand. What I see on screen is what is happening in their world. That is what science fiction is. To be able to suspend your disbelief and enjoy a good story.

All of my reasonings in this thread are directly related to the story they have portrayed on the screen. When Kensei gets out, which I can almost garuntee he will because he is just TOO GOOD of a villain who doesn't have insurmountable powers like Sylar, I will enjoy that story too.

I doubt he will admit to a 'mistake' because this is HIS universe, HE created it. He didn't make a mistake in what happened, it was portrayed as he and the writers intended it. And if it changes later? Then it is also his universe and he can change the rules whenever he wants.

I am not a Kring fanboi, this goes for all of my science fiction works that I read and watch. When I stop enjoying the works, I stop paying attention to it. I am just here to enjoy the ride.

&*EDIT
      As for the mistake he has admitted, it wasnt in what is happening in the story or how it works. He admitted that he didn't understand how the audience would react to going back tot he slow build up as he did in the first season. Obviously the first season worked so he went for it again.

He realized that the audience had the slow build up and wanted more now and plans to give more in the future. That is not a mistake in the story, it is a mistake in how the story is told.
      Last edited by Yoshua; 12-05-2007, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Well, we could go around in circles with this, but I think most of us agree that Adam is not going to die in there.

Therefore, leaving aside trying to explain the power scientifically, it's interesting to think that, if he stays conscious, Adam can continue to shout from his coffin, and it seemed pretty audible to me when they pulled away in the cemetary, so if it indeed is as audible as that scene indicated, it won't take long before a grieving visitor to a nearby grave hears a lot of yelling. A few hours of shoveling by the graveyard keeper later, Adam is going to be free again.

Kring doesn't seem to think that Adam will go comatose after a few minutes, so that's what's going to be the case, because he's in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Iritscen
          Kring doesn't seem to think that Adam will go comatose after a few minutes, so that's what's going to be the case, because he's in charge.
          I can't help but question it.

I'm sure it's nice that you don't have to.

Comment

Well, I also said the dirt would have made the coffin collapse. Mythbusters proved six feet of dirt is too heavy for the lid of a casket.

Comment

I wonder how long Adam could last before he started trying to kill himself?

Comment

Originally posted by Mello Penelo
                Well, I also said the dirt would have made the coffin collapse. Mythbusters proved six feet of dirt is too heavy for the lid of a casket.
                The gravekeeper is actually meant to fill in the depression. If you have ever been to a grave in the countryside and seen dips in the ground, it's because the coffin has collapsed and it hasn't been filled in.

Comment

I'm just saying that's how being buried alive would be debunked. The casket would collapse, Adam would be crushed, go into his torpor and stay that way until someone dug him up.

Comment

Well actually Adam's coffin is beneath some concrete which may hold up the weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Yggdrasill
                      I think some people don't get the 'hidden meaning' behind the coffin inprisonment. Hiro doesn't want to kill Adam, he wants to punish him for killing his father. What better way to punish an immortal than to lock him up for eternity?
                      So it's obvious that Adam will survive, not because of the 'scientific' explanations some of you have come up with, but simply because of the meaning and context of that scene.
                      Adam isn't immortal. He regenerates from damage/wounds/etc. He will die from lack of oxygen/food etc (life can't continue, it doesn't make sense). He can heal/revive afterward if too much time hasn't passed, but again only if he is placed in/returned to an environment that sustains human life.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderman
                        Adam isn't immortal. He regenerates from damage/wounds/etc. He will die from lack of oxygen/food etc (life can't continue, it doesn't make sense). He can heal/revive afterward if too much time hasn't passed, but again only if he is placed in/returned to an environment that sustains human life.

It doesnt make refference anywhere in the show about a specific time being passed or the amount of cell death in the body. In fact the opposite.

You can completely remove limbs and organs and they will regrow.

The only refference in the show is that if the brain is missing it can not regenerate the rest of the body, my theory is that there is a specific part of the brain that regardless of the damage to the body will continually regenerate itself unless it is utterly destroyed or removed.

IE: If the brain is damaged it will not be able to heal the rest of the body, but the part of the brain that keeps regenerating will continue to do so until the object stopping it from restoring the rest of the brain is removed. Unless the part of the brain that is destroyed is the part that controls the heroe's ability to regenerate.

IE: In a cofin with an object stuck int he brain but not damaged the part of the bain that controls regeneration cenario: If the object is ever removed then the entire body will regenerate regardless of cell death.

Comment

The reason Adam is able to live forever is because his regen repairs cellular damage caused by aging. Adam will never die a natural death. However, living without oxygen is not natural, it is a kill method. Therefore he will die. Regen allows him to come back, however. But while he is still in the environment that is killing him, regen can't work. It just doesn't make sense. He should die eventually, but that doesn't mean he can't be revived afterward, again as long as too much time hasn't passed.

Comment

The reason Adam is able to live forever is because his regen repairs cellular damage caused by aging. Adam will never die a natural death. However, living without oxygen is not natural, it is a kill method. Therefore he will die. Regen allows him to come back, however. But while he is still in the environment that is killing him, regen can't work. It just doesn't make sense. He should die eventually, but that doesn't mean he can't be revived afterward, again as long as too much time hasn't passed.

In this show it has been proven more than once that oxygen is not needed for the cell repaire to work. I've also explained it in this thread.

Both Peter and Claire had both been dead for HOURS with objects impailed in their brains. Oxygen in the blood will only last 30 minutes at most WITH CPR chest compressions before massive cell death occurs, which would include the brain.

This means that if their regenetive powers required oxygen then the parts of their brains that continually regenerate would have died and they would have been dead without taking a breath of air and their heart pumping to move that air to the part of the brain that needed it.

The part of the brain that is required to regenerate does not need oxygen to do so. The rest of the body DOES need oxygen to work so basically so long as that part of the brain stays intact t hey can live indefinately under any situation. However if there is no oxygen and the cell death can't be repaired faster then the death they would only live 7 minutes at a time with no oxygen, but according to what we see on screen and the interview with kring the regeneration is faster then cell death otherwise Kensei's confinement wouldnt be an indefinate tortue, he would die, his brain would keep his regenerative part alive and when it healed the cell death he would wake up. Every 7 minutes until he got a new path to oxygen.

Comment

Blood still in their systems was keeping them in a preserved state. The no-oxygen factor doesn't apply while "working" regen-blood is in the picture. However, the regenerative effects of the blood can't last forever, it will be "used up", without new blood being produced to replace "used up" regen-blood the preserved state is a limited-time only thing. A few hours going by is apparently within the allowable time range.

Comment

Blood still in their systems was keeping them in a preserved state. The no-oxygen factor doesn't apply while "working" regen-blood is in the picture. However, the regenerative effects of the blood can't last forever, it will be "used up", without new blood being produced to replace "used up" regen-blood the preserved state is a limited-time only thing. A few hours going by is apparently within the allowable time range.

The oxygen in your blood needs to be constantly renewed to sustain cell life.

Limited time is less than 30 minutes without cpr.

And FYI the blood would not sustain anything in this situation unless it is being pumped. Cells have the oxygen in them that the blood gave them when it passed through, when the heart stops pumping your cells only have the oxygen that is currently IN them to sustain them and then they die.

Peter was taken all the way across new york in a taxi cab dead. Thats more than 30 minutes.

Claire was left dead until the police found a jane doe on a river bank, more than 30 minutes. Actually I'd say hours.

By those 2 time lines alone should show that oxygen isnt required for the healing process to remain active, but if you count into the fact that they took HRG from California to Odessa texas and then revived him..... Yeah. Oxygen isn't required.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_c...without_oxygen

ANSWER:
                                Brain cells begin to die within 8-10 minutes.
                                Last edited by Yoshua; 12-05-2007, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎