Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Clark ever really crossed the moral line to save someone?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread was about clark crossing the moral line.

I addressed it, and somehow, each conversation I have on this topic, seems to be people telling me I'm just a comic purist, and then they relate how they don't read the comics, but that the characterizations in them are just so childish and one dimensional, that I must be wrong, and 12.

Comment

Originally posted by HalJordan4184
      This thread was about clark crossing the moral line.

I addressed it, and somehow, each conversation I have on this topic, seems to be people telling me I'm just a comic purist, and then they relate how they don't read the comics, but that the characterizations in them are just so childish and one dimensional, that I must be wrong, and 12.
      Not everybody, Hal. I don't think you could have been more correct in anything you've said about Clark in this thread. You made all the same points I would have, more eloquently, and then some. And I am far from a comics purist, nor am I 12.

Comment

when i first read the title of this thread, the first thing i said to myself was "oh yeah, you bet your ass he has."

Comment

It says it right there in the theme song: "I've made this whole world shine for you." Who gave him the right to do that to the world? Not very considerate of those on the other hemisphere trying to sleep, now was it?

Everyone's got their own beliefs of what a moral line is, but certainly Clark's own beliefs on the matter qualify him to make such a statement on his own behalf.

My own beliefs teach that concepts like "good" and "evil" tend to be subjective extremes, but that we each have a responsibility to consider the consequences of our own choices and actions to ourselves and everyone else. Some would call this blurring the line, but it's actually more like recognizing the potentially infinite lasernet of lines, and the responsibility for a moral gymnast to navigate them all. Sometimes, simply having a beneficial intention isn't enough; being free to take moral responsibility for your own decisions is a huge responsibility because there is no guarantee of the consequences being obvious enough to think through. And what goes around will come around.

Obvious example: Clark in episode 100 didn't know that turning back time for Lana wouldn't lead to another death, did he? Yes, questions of guilt can really become that unfair. But guilt, or flogging oneself as Clark did in past seasons, is not the point. We learn, we accept our mistakes, we grow and we make better decisions, wisely considering every angle and every best interest, as Clark is doing in his story.
          Last edited by Last Son of Vern; 12-01-2010, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎