Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

>>>Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of Lara?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Adult Kryptonian

Originally posted by KansasKitty
    I liked the episode however I am disappointed in Helen Slater as Lara. She does not appear to have any passion in her portrayal of the wife of Jor-El and the mother or Kal-El. I cannot see why this character would be the love of Jor-El's life after falling for Lana's great Aunt back on Earth in the 60's. Ms. Slater was not the best choice for this role. I thought her portayal flat and uninteresting. I was hoping for much more for the encounter between Clark and his birth mother.
    Well, according to Jor-El in the FOS, Clark overflows with too much Human emotion. So, it would seem 'Normal' for Lara of Krypton, an adult who's only known what it is to be Kryptonian her whole life, would not display emotions in the same way we do here on earth. Yes, Clark was raised here and he's still maturing, so he's emotionally an Earthling, physically a Kryptonian. Respecting that, I would think that Lara was a bit emotional for a 'Kryptonian'.

Lara seemed to be the wise mother who planned her son's escape from destruction alongside her husband. She was emotional enough to make the journey to Earth via the 'last' portal just to make sure she would be making the right choice to place her child in the care of the Kents.

When Jor-El visited Earth, he was very young, probably Clark's age, and the visit was supposed to be a 'Learning Experience' for Jor-El ordered by his father. It was meant to help him learn 'Humility'. I think that's what I remember his saying from the episode. So, Jor-El would not have as yet been Betrothed to Lara. Lana's Aunt Louise gave him an important 'experience' that was most likely quite different from anything he would've experienced on Krypton.

Comment

• Originally posted by KansasKitty
      I liked the episode however I am disappointed in Helen Slater as Lara. She does not appear to have any passion in her portrayal of the wife of Jor-El and the mother or Kal-El. I cannot see why this character would be the love of Jor-El's life after falling for Lana's great Aunt back on Earth in the 60's. Ms. Slater was not the best choice for this role. I thought her portayal flat and uninteresting. I was hoping for much more for the encounter between Clark and his birth mother.
      I totally agree^^. I personally hoped that there would be more emotions between the mother and her lost child. Lara, however, didn't seem to be missing her son, nor she showed her feelings enough. There was like a natural meeting, nothing special. That's why I'm disappointed.

Comment

• It was a really good episode, it was a good episode for Kara, it was cool to see her pass and of course the one of Lara too

Comment

• It was good to see Helen back in action as Lara. She looked wonderful. IDC what anyone says about the 1984 Supergirl, that was a great movie.

Comment

• It was a good episode.Liked how it mentioned lara and zor-el.But the plot was boring

Comment

• I had a problem with all those kryptonians coming to earth like it was no big deal. Why aren't there more survivors if traveling was so easy??

This was a pretty good Kara episode though. Nothing much else was interesting here. It was kinda refressing seeing someone advance the plot by doing research and detective work...and looking great in red, wow that cleavage (Karavage??) It was good that at the end of the day she checked on Jimmy and seemed she really cared for him and not just to get info on the crystal.

Lara and Kara in the Kent farm...even though a bit silly was actually pretty nice. And Kara came up with the name for Clark!! Clarks save at the end was well done, first knocking out the dude even though kryptonite was involved. Lionel shooting the agent was brilliant use of the character although I'd like Clark to question him about it. Clark starting Karas heart with a punch was so simple it was genious!!

One of the better episodes of season 7 although it has it's cheesy lines and silly premises. Solid 7.

Comment

• I really liked most of this episode, which was shocking for me, considering how much Kara there was in it, and how annoyed I was by her character most of the time. I think that the best selling point, for me, was seeing a proactive Clark trying to track her down, rein her in, and protect her, while also being treated to the flashback appearances of the truly incredible Lara-El. I really DID like Lara quite a lot, and thus I was very excited to find out she'd be back in action in two more episodes! Chloe was adorable as ever, though, and Lionel had a nice moment or two as well. I think I will give this... 8 hidden Polaroid photos out of 10 for being pretty smokin' cool.

Comment

• Lionel: Your treatment of Lana. Lex: Come on, Dad. I learned from watching you with mom.

Great Line!

----- Added 7 Minutes later -----

The whole scene between Lionel and Lex was great! I loved the dialogue.
                  Last edited by Simba_Muffy; 12-12-2010, 11:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Lex to Lionel: "You spend as much time protecting Clark as you do pushing me away. Just whose father are you?"

lol like this line

It was a good episode, finally getting into the ties between Earth, Clark and Krypton. I just wish there was a scene where Clark took a moment to wonder about his mother and that photograph, a little euphoria wouldn't have hurt. Also people don't notice Clark zooming into the daily planet out of no where everyday? O.o

Comment

• The flashbacks kinda resolve the age old issue with why the Kryptonians didn't just leave their planet, when it was about to be destroyed. It's a problem that's been there for ages. Krypton is portrayed as an advanced society, but Clark's ship is seemingly something brand-new. There have been attempts to explain this away in the past. In the 70's, it was explained that Krypton had banned space travel (hence why they didn't have any ships). In the flashbacks of this episode, it's established that it would take about three years to travel to Earth with a spaceship, but Kryptonian science is so advanced that they have these portals that allows for instant transportation to other planets. It then makes sense that Krypton would have access to very few spaceships (especially ones capable of interstellar or intergalactic travel), as they had access to a much faster method of transport. In the opening, Zor-El notes that the council had closed all portals. Hence why only a few made it off the planet. The few that had access to working spaceships. The others were trapped on Krypton.

They don't go into it, but I'd imagine, at the start of this war, all Kryptonians who were off-world returned to to fight against Zod (expecting it to be a short conflict) or because they didn't wanna get stuck off-world, when the council closed the portals. Hence why there aren't hundreds of Kryptonians running around.

I like Lionel's comment about Lex being obsessed with Clark and those around him. Kinda implies that Lex's interest in Lana was an extension of his obsession with Clark, rather than him actually being in love with her.

Not crazy about Clark trying to control Kara. She's an adult. If she doesn't wanna come with him, he has no right to force her. Kara really shouldn't have been on the show. Of course, the big question is, was she a choice by the writers or something the network demanded (which networks often do)? Who should we blame? I kinda wanna say the latter, as the writers had no idea what to do with her. Usually you don't bring in a character, unless you have a plan for them.

Thought the bit with Zor-El having a romantic obsession with Lara was unneeded. Of course, it's just a plot device, so he'd put both his own DNA and her's into the crystal. Thus allowing for the events of "Blue" to happen. There is no point to it beyond that.
                      Last edited by jon-el87; 03-19-2018, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎