No announcement yet.

Possessionless (one-shot)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possessionless (one-shot)

TITLE: Possessionless - one shot (short and sweet)
    AUTHOR: Me, with the inspiration compliments of Australian singer, song-writer Delta Goodrem.
    PAIRING: Chlana friendship and Chlimmy love (minus Jimmy, funny enough)
    SETTING: Following Lana's messy divorce from Lex and also following Jimmy's sudden departure from Smallville (all in my own mind, but I'm permitting myself to dream for the sake of this fic.).
    AUTHOR'S NOTE: Implications in these lyrics are purely figurative, although I'm sure that they were intended to be so. It's my own take... hope you like.
    DISCLAIMER: Delta Goodrem - 'Possessionless' verse 1: taken from the self-titled album, copyright 2007. Sony BMG Music Australia.

"All the things that I've collected,
    Stones and shells.
    Every word in every book,
    Upon my shelves,
    Only form a brief description of myself,
    But they don't define who I am.
    I don't think anything can,
    No."

Chloe lay back on her bed, eyeing off the pale blue box sitting on the foot of her bed. She was so familiar with its contents; time and time again she'd cried whole heartedly whilst sorting through the photos and little keepsakes that had come to define a major part of her life for many months. She hadn't yet had the strenght or courage to push the box aside; for all the pain those memories caused, they also brightened her day. For once she'd loved some so unconditionally, and they'd not only return that affection, but dedicated themselves whole heartedly to her. She wasn't use to that feeling; rendering her heart without fear of emotional turmoil. Jimmy had provided her a sanctuary; protection from an otherwise turbulent world that often threw her curve balls.

"If I strip away the non-necessities,
    All the damage all the mess surrounding me.
    I don't crave what I have not,
    I don't need more than I've got.
    It's just me that I offer up."

Lana sat slumped behind the counter at The Talon, her hands shaking as she tore open the envelope that contained the documents that would change her life. This was it; she was officially Lana Lang once more. A huge wave of relief rushed over her tensed body, but it wasn't enough to erase the memories of the deceit she'd been leaving for just short of a year. She tossed the envelope onto the counter. Glancing across the empty room, she caught sight of a stream of light coming in through the window. She smiled in spite of herself and slowly pushed herself up from the chair and towards the window. As she did so, she noticed Chloe seated on the bench outside, head in hands and the tears obviously streaming down her cheeks.

Lana walked out onto the pavement, but at first did not say a word to Chloe. The world rushed by and both women stood frozen for some time. As Chloe straightened up, she could sense someone close by, watching her every move. She reluctantly turned to see Lana standing close by, her full attention on her.

"How long have you been standing there?", Chloe asked, feeling somewhat embarrassed.

"Long enough", Lana replied sheepishly, moving forward to place her hand on her best friend's shoulder.

"Let's move inside".

Chloe nodded, and allowing Lana to take her hand she followed into The Talon, all the while desperately trying to hold back the words that had been threatening to spill from her lips ever since Jimmy had left Smallville so suddenly.

"Coffee?"

Chloe took a seat at the counter and nodded.

"Strong, thanks".

Lana pulled out two mugs and started up the coffee machine.

"You had me scared there, Chlo".

Lana passed a mug to Chloe and pulled a bag of marshmallows from under the counter. She ripped the bag open and offered it to Chloe.

"Comfort food", she explained, taking out two marshmallows and popping them in her mouth.

"I'm an emotional mess, Lana. Kinda why I've been avoided you guys for the last few weeks".

She took a marshmallow and popped it into her mouth.

"I know", Lana replied sympathetically, taking a seat.

"We'll get through this together".

Chloe tilted her head curiously.

"My divorce papers came through today", Lana commented, her voice sounding completely non-plussed and relatively worry free.

"Sorry".

Lana took a sip of her coffee.

"Don't be. If anyone should be apologising, it ought to be me. I've kind of frozen you out for the last 11 months. I feel so guilty for it. Don't know why you still give me the time of day".

"True friends don't run out when the going gets tough. One of the few things Lois has taught me over the years."

Lana smiled.

"And yet I wasn't around when Jimmy left. You really look devastated. I should have been there".

Chloe glanced down.

"It wasn't your fault. Lana, you were dealing with your own problems."

"True, but still..."

Chloe shook her head.

"Shh. It doesn't matter. What's done is done and let's leave it in the past".

"If you insist. Now, want to tell me exactly what's going on with you right now?"

Chloe frowned and nervously wound a thick piece of her hair around her index finger.

"The love of my life up and left without any warning. Sounds like the plot to some tragic love song".

Chloe laughed as she took another sip of her coffee.

"This reporter isn't going to let go without a fight. I'm having Lois help me track him down."

"Need help with that? I'm not going to sit back and watch my best friend endure heartbreak, especially when Jimmy is the one."

Chloe shot Lana the most grateful smile she could manage.

"Sure."

Both women smiled.

"Now, we back on track?"

"Back on track. You're kidding, right? We were never off track".

Lana slid her hand across the counter and Chloe didn't hesitate to take it.

"After all, you're more than just a friend. You're my sister".
    Last edited by Smallville_Angel; 10-27-2007, 04:57 PM.

Awe, so cute. I love the last line. Chlana rules! xD.

Comment

Awesome.
      Love Chlana friendship.

Comment

Thanks girls - sincerley appreciate the positive feedback. Makes the writing so worthwhile and makes me feel so loved. Thanks for the support - allow me to return the favour anytime.

Comment

Oh that was really short and sweet.

By the time I reached the end I thought, oh that was a good first chapter! What's gonna happen next?!

Comment

Aww, beautiful Chlana friendship/sister relationship going on here! Kudos to you!!!

Comment

Cute.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎