Bizarro............5.18 million*
    Kara................4.59 million*
    Fierce..............4.82 million*
    Cure................5.18 million*
    Action.............

* - Final Rating

Season Average - 4.94 million

Comment

I dont think the CW is in trouble at all. It is all about profits and budget. The CW's biggest persona/actor is Tyra Banks and that is only because she really became an upper level celebrity is from that show. Yea everyone knew her, but from ANTM, she got a talk show and other stuff. *stay with me on this*

The CW pays for cheap shows and yea they might average 3 million viewers on an average show, but that doesnt mean they are doing horrible. Their profit margine could be better than someone like NBC who struggles to even get 9 million viewers and they pay much more for higher caliber celebrities (Alec Baldwin, Steve Carrell, John Stamos, and all the network actors they hire not to mention football broadcasts).

so while NBC gets higher ratings, they have to pay a lot more for actors/broadcats then the CW has to. thus saving money.

with Tyra Banks, if they do have more successful reality shows, then they can build off of this success. Tyra has UPN/CW to thank for her status. Maybe it can do this for another rising star. Jared Padelecki on Supernatural got his own show on MTV and the CW probably doesnt pay him nearly what the other bigger networks pay their comparable stars in that timeslot

Just look at Gossip Girl which does not get good ratings at all. But look at what USA Today wrote in Wednesdsay's section. GG is the most downloaded show on ITunes, improves 20% on DVR viewings, top new show among teens, and the first new show to get picked up for a full 22 episodes.

To me it is more about the ratings. yes they are a big deal, but you have to look at production cost vs budget and this is what really counts.

Im sure the CW knew they woudlnt beat the big 4 (and probalby didnt think they would do this bad in ratings), but I have not heard any talk of them cancelling. Fox had the same problem, never being able to beat CBS, NBC, or ABC when it first started, but now it consistently domintates at times the competiton, so give The CW some time. They have showed some promise with new shows this season being better than last season (Runaway anybody?)

There is more than just the ratings.
      Last edited by JEWCY; 10-25-2007, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JEWCY
        There is more than just the ratings.
        You're right, but...What exactly does the CW have? Aliens in America is the most offensive show on television, I can't even believe it's even on the air. A stereotypical show about an Arab coming to America that uses the typical Arab jokes? It's so offensive I'd rather not watch.

Life is Wild...Yeah, life is not that wild. A family that moves to South Africa to come together? They'd have better luck getting bloated on the food at McDonald's and then "coming together." It's unbelievable.

Beauty and the Geek works because it's likable in every way; who doesn't want to watch the geek get the girl? ANTM is successful because of Tyra, yes, but also because of the backstabbing drama that goes on; everybody loves to watch cat fights and the models that break down in tears.

Reaper...a supernatural show that tries to be funny? Only the X-Files and even Supernatural can get away with that. A family that sells their son's soul to the devil so he can be a grim reaper? I want to know which crack head green-lighted that disaster. I've seen it; it's horrible.

The other shows they have are from the UPN are Girlfriends and the Game, which is fine, but I don't watch those shows either. The only other show they have is Smackdown...whatever.

I'm no ratings expert, but I do know; as a television viewer, what is good and what is not. The CW had PLENTY of opportunities to have hit shows, such as Mercy Reef.

In my opinion, this is what they did wrong:

1. They canceled Everwood, which had stronger ratings during its 4th season. I really enjoyed this show because it was something that I could relate to, mostly during the first couple of seasons. I watched it regularly.

2. They renewed 7th Heaven in place of Everwood only to see ratings slip because no one knew it was picked up and the station was not broadcast in some areas when the network first launced. Plus, they milked the series finale so much that by the time the 13-order season concluded, the anticipation wasn't there.

3. They didn't pick up Mercy Reef. It was a very promising show with a fairly good base story. The only thing wrong with that show was casting Lou Diamond Phillips, who didn't even look like he could pass as Justin Hartley's "father."

4. They canceled Gilmore Girls, one of the highest rated shows they ever had on tuesday night let alone in their entire lineup, leaving their newer shows without a lead-in.

5. They got rid of Reba. their strongest show during friday night, once again leaving any new show without a decent lead-in.

6. They put money into newer shows instead of keeping their anchor shows. By doing this, they wasted more money. Proof of this is the fact that: Runaway was canceled, Hidden Palms was canceled, The Bedford Diaries was canceled; along with Modern Men.

Of course they can't match the ratings of the big networks, they know that and have always known that, but it's not only about saving money or good ratings, it's about how viewers can relate to a show's lead character, which is why Smallville is so popular.

At some point in our lives, we all keep secrets and certain parts of ourselves secret and we can empathize with Clark and the other characters.

It's about quality. When you try to save money, it shows and it is showing.

Comment

Overnights are in -

From Mediaweek:

The CW’s Smallville (#5: 3.4/ 5) and Supernatural (#5: 2.5/ 4) were at typical Thursday overnight levels.

The more detailed fast nationals will be out at 12 ET.

Comment

When do we get that in a *.** million format? :P

Comment

3.4/5 is the same rating that Cure had. I wouldn't expect too much of a decrease this week. Smallville also went up against the World Series game 2 last night as well and game 1 actually did pretty well considering the teams and the fact that it was a blowout game. I don't know what game 2 did.

Comment

Originally posted by Best Episode - 321
                Overnights are in -

From Mediaweek:

The CW’s Smallville (#5: 3.4/ 5) and Supernatural (#5: 2.5/ 4) were at typical Thursday overnight levels.

The more detailed fast nationals will be out at 12 ET.

(3.4/5)

WTF does this mean anyway??

Comment

The CW’s Smallville (Viewers: #5, 4.50 million; A18-49: #5, 1.8/ 4) and Supernatural (Viewers: #5, 3.27 million; A18-49: 1.3/ 3) were at typical Thursday levels.

Season 7 Week to Week

Bizarro............5.18 million*
                  Kara................4.59 million*
                  Fierce..............4.82 million*
                  Cure................5.18 million*
                  Action.............4.50 million

* - Final Rating

Season Average - 4.85 million

Comment

(3.4/5)

WTF does this mean anyway??
                    If I'm not mistaken, that's the ratings points the show received while being broadcast. 1% = 1, 128,000 households, so if you times that number by 3.4, that's how many households the show had. The other number represents how much the show got in percentage out of ALL of the households in America, meaning that 5% of all households were tuned in...At least, that's how I understand it.
                    Last edited by uhhuhhim; 10-26-2007, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Steep drop, then again the World Series was on.

Comment

^^^ It's still pretty close to Kara's numbers, but they better start capitalizing (in their promos) on the stars they're getting. For example, I think it would really help if they had a promo (with a voice-over) that said: "The original Supergirl, Helen Slater, comes to Smallville" or something like that...so people actually KNOW who she is and why she's on...

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael122
                          Steep drop, then again the World Series was on.
                          Yeah, FOX put a dent in everyone's ratings I think. They were the winner in every half hour last night. If this series goes seven games, game 7 will be next Thursday and that could kill Smallville again.

Comment

Aww. I'm dissapointed. I thought this show would have drawn more viewers. It was the most mythos packed so far.

Comment

Baseball? Is that fad still going on?

Comment

Originally posted by STFanatic
                                Baseball? Is that fad still going on?

if Ben Sisko led the Niners against Logicians, then the fad will go on for another couple of centuries :P

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎