No announcement yet.

TOP 16 laughably bad moments in "Fierce"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOP 16 laughably bad moments in "Fierce"

Let me preface this by saying I thought the first two episodes were fantastic. I enjoyed this one too because -- well, it’s Smallville, but mostly because I had so much fun poking fun at the bad lines, scenes that fell flat, and loose ends everywhere. It’s hard to know where to start to describe how poorly written/directed this episode was -- let me start from the beginning...

1. Kara complains about the farm and living with Beauty and the Geek... What is she, Lois #2?! Also, she’s Ms. culturally literate after her first few days on the planet?

2. Kara’s love at first sight with Jimmy... First of all, are we supposed to believe this? Especially right after the geek comment? Second, is this “turn Chloe into a wreck” season? Are they trying to make her so miserable she becomes jaded and joins forces with Lex?

3. “Maybe fitting in won’t be so bad after all” -- cut to opening credits... If this isn’t winner of this season’s (maybe the series) dullest opening sequence award...

4. Clark barely surprised when a dead Lana shows up, who is just back to her sweet, innocent persona again... Did they think the sappy background music would make the scene emotionally compelling and dramatic? I suppose it was emotional -- if you count shaking your head and rolling your eyes and feelings of dread at the thought of another serving of Clana on the menu.

5. Clark’s buying into the idea that he needed Lana’s protection from Lionel, so that he shouldn’t have to put himself in “danger” to save her... Isn’t that what superheros are supposed to like doing? Isn’t that sort of their trademark characteristic? Why not just have Clark say, “Thank you Lana for faking your own death and leaving everyone shocked and grief-stricken. I’m sure glad I didn’t have to put myself in harm’s way!” Or how about, “Lana, what I really need is your protection from this terrible scripting.”

6. Lana’s being totally unphased and making jokes when Kara superspeeds... Great, now that we’ve reached total closure with the fact that Lana knows Clark’s powers (not!), Lana can just be Ms. nonchalant over any superhuman displays.

7. Kara’s line: “I was wasting the best years of my life”... First of all, she didn’t age -- she was in suspended animation! Second, all the sudden she’s longing for all these teenage Earth rituals like cheerleading and drive-in movies that she missed out on?

8. The watermelon scene... Just totally fell flat. Where's the charm/humor of the episode where Jonathan helped Clark control his heat vision? Then Clark goes off on an immature yelling fit. I wanted to slap the guy -- Get a hold of yourself, Clark!

9. Kara wipes off a tiny area of ice on the window... which happens to be the exact place where the blonde’s frozen head is staring out! What luck! And thanks for making us look at that frozen dead face over and over again...

10. Clark just talking casually to a recently-non-dead Lana in the kitchen over some fresh lemonade like everything’s normal... (BTW, did Martha come back to slice those lemon circles into the pitcher?) And Lana acting like Clark’s wise and sensitive family therapist no less... Oh, then top it off with a couple of throw-away lines and sweet smiles about Lana being ok with Clark’s powers. Great, now that that's resolved... after 6 years.

11. Jimmy taking the “weathergirls” picture... What was he hoping to accomplish other than get in trouble? Try a hidden audio recorder next time!

12. Lex’s line to Lana that all the horrible things he did to her were because she truly loves her... This was such a pathetic line (especially for Lex) I was wondering if the show was spoofing itself!

13. Lex’s line to Lana about taking his money to escape: “I’m not sure Clark would see it that way”... What, Clark would’ve told Lana “It’s not right to steal -- you really should have stayed with Lex”??? Am I missing something here?

14. The fight scene... The rock tornado knocking Clark over looked like watching a bowling pin fall over. Then the terrible lines that were supposed to be dramatic/climactic: “You’re not as tough as you talk...” “But *I* am.” Do they know that this writing sounds like a parody of a B-movie?

15. Loose ends: The fact that Kara broke out of jail... whatever. Explaining the bent bars... oh, just an Uri Geller trick. What happened to the weathergirls... oh, just lying there in the parking lot. No evidence on them other than testimony of the jail-breaker and her cousin. Ok -- let’s cut to the barn scene!

16. Jimmy’s line to Chloe: “When we first got together I thought that you were pretty prejudiced”... Weren’t you wondering where he was going with this? Is Chloe a closet racist??

And they saved the best for last...

17. Clark and Lana walking casually through the Harvest festival... What about all the shouts of, “Look, there’s that dead chick whose funeral we just went to!” And how about Chloe finding out that Lana’s still alive?! I know, maybe next episode will open with Clark and Lana turning the corner at the festival and running into... Chloe and Whitney. And everyone can just give a quick smile of surprise that everyone’s really alive, hug each other and go play some ring toss...

“Somebody save me!”
    Last edited by houseofkel; 10-14-2007, 01:37 AM.

For me, Lana walking hand in hand with Clark at the fair and nobody seems to notice Mrs. Luthor is back and holding hands with the Kent boy.

Comment

Originally posted by paolinki25
      For me, Lana walking hand in hand with Clark at the fair and nobody seems to notice Mrs. Luthor is back and holding hands with the Kent boy.
      That and her willingly inviting Lex to the farm were the only parts I really had a problem with. Even the ANTM FOTWs didn't really seem as bad as that, mostly because I'd dismissed their role in the episode before it ever began. The rest of the list is pretty much rubbish, though.

Comment

Re: TOP 16 laughably bad moments in "Fierce"

Originally posted by houseofkel

5. Clark’s buying into the idea that he needed Lana’s protection from Lionel, so that he shouldn't have to put himself in “danger” to save her... Isn’t that what superheros are supposed to like doing? Isn’t that sort of their trademark characteristic? Why not just have Clark say, “Thank you Lana for faking your own death and leaving everyone shocked and grief-stricken. I’m sure glad I didn’t have to put myself in harm’s way!” Or how about, “Lana, what I really need is your protection from this terrible scripting.”

15. Loose ends: The fact that Kara broke out of jail... whatever. Explaining the bent bars... oh, just an Uri Geller trick. What happened to the weathergirls... oh, just lying there in the parking lot. No evidence on them other than testimony of the jail-breaker and her cousin. Ok -- let’s cut to the barn scene!

15. Jimmy’s line to Chloe: “When we first got together I thought that you were pretty prejudiced”... Weren’t you wondering where he was going with this? Is Chloe a closet racist??
        5. Besides the fact that both Clark and Lana know that Lionel isn't Clark's enemy. Since Clark told Lana about his secret, why didn't he tell her about Lionel's secret, which is really part of Clark's secret?

15. Based on Clark's comment, we are supposed to believe that Chloe dashed off to night court or tracked down a judge and got Kara released on her own recognizance. You do have to go to court to arrange that, it doesn't happen at the police station! And the weathergirls know about Kara's power. Isn't that going to be a problem? Or did they just get hauled off to Belle Rive like all the other meteor freaks, where no one will believe their ramblings?

By the way, you have two number 15s.

15 again. Since that was followed by Jimmy ogling Kara, I think it's supposed to fore shadow Jimmy ditching Chloe because she's a freak.

That and her willingly inviting Lex to the farm were the only parts I really had a problem with.
        Having a face to face Lex/Lana meeting was for dramatic purposes, a phone converstion wouldn't have been so effective. Someone observed that she also may have wanted it to take place at the farm rather than a neutral location so that she could "rub in" the fact that she was living with Clark.

Since Lex "cleared her name" she didn't have to be afraid to go to the festival, but as most everyone in Smallville has known Lana all her life, it's very weird people weren't reacting!
        Last edited by chantal; 10-13-2007, 07:28 PM.

Comment

OMG !!! LOL good eye, and a fun read.
          Thanks
          you forgot Lana cutting apples for apple pie, when Lex arrived. can she even bake ? LOL

Comment

After establishing the whole hiding out stuff, it was stupid to have them at the fair. the rest of the stuff isn't any different from the things that Smallville has done since the beginning. It's not a reality show, it's a fantasy based on a comic book, so you don't really need all the details worked out perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by jazel

you forgot Lana cutting apples for apple pie, when Lex arrived. can she even bake ? LOL
              Based on the fact that she was raised on a farm, it would be very strange if she couldn't, as farmers, who grow their own fruits and veggies, tend to bake from scratch. But with Lana's "poor little fairy princess" manner, it does seem unlikely.

Originally posted by JudasAce
              After establishing the whole hiding out stuff, it was stupid to have them at the fair.
              Lex had told her that she was now "cleared." And considering all the laws she broke, clearing that up so fast (or at all) is about as "comic book" as you can get!
              Last edited by chantal; 10-13-2007, 07:37 PM.

Comment

I don't think Lana was raised on an actual working farm, though. Nell was a florist, not a farmer.

Comment

Originally posted by JudasAce
                  I don't think Lana was raised on an actual working farm, though. Nell was a florist, not a farmer.
                  A florist can't afford to own a non-working farm, unless she's independently wealthy and just working as a hobby. Someone had to be working the farm, even if she was hiring help or renting it to other farmers to work. There was a working barn that had at least one horse living in it. Someone had to be maintaining the property, including, most likely, an apple orchard. Was it Nell's husband's family farm or Nell's family? Was Nell a farmer's daughter or just a city girl who married a farmer? Either way, Nell would have had to learn to cook from scratch.

Comment

which doesn't necessarily mean, Lana ever did.lol

Comment

I agree with some of your plot "weaknesses"....there where more holes in this story than swiss cheese lol Not only that, but the rush job of the easy resolutions of the storylines in the episode was pretty bad and very disappointing for me.....There was just too much crammed into this one episode that every single plot fell flat and lacking imo...not to mention that it appears that a lot of it ended up in the cutting room floor (based on the trailer)....also, I don't know if it was the editing but there was a "choppy-ness" feel throughout imo....it just felt imcomplete....and left me feeling underwhelmed in the end.

But after six years, I have just learned to shut down my "logical" side of the brain a bit in order to just enjoy the show for what it is lol

Out of all of the weaknesses of this episode this one actually did not surprise me lol ...in addition to the farm arguement chantal presented, Lana did work at a coffee shop for several years so her picking up some baking/cooking tips here and there isn't so far fetched....
                      Last edited by boingo; 10-13-2007, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Just because Lana's name is cleared doesn't mean some people aren't going to go "Hey, weren't you dead?"

I found a majority of this episode stupid.

Comment

which doesn't necessarily mean, Lana ever did.lol
                          Well, that's what I said! She should have been taught, but she doesn't seem like the type who would. Where I went to school, I was required to take Home Ec and learn to cook and sew. I took Home Ec, but I didn't learn to cook!

Comment

^^^ it's cool hun, calm down
                            my true point is, has anybody ever seen Lana put a piece of food in her mouth in SV ? lol

Comment

Holly Harold is an awesome writer.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎