TV Ratings for Fierce

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This all sounds good and all, it's good for the show, but haven't they been releasing these "Live+7" ratings since 2006? What I don't get is...If these types of ratings were available since then, why are all of these networks making any significance of them now or even looking at them now and why are they even factoring this into a show's final ratings now when they weren't doing it when these types of ratings were available in '06? I sound like I'm babbling, but does anyone get what I'm trying to say? Back in 2006 when they announced they were going to start doing this, there was no mention in any of the shows...of these types of ratings...Not that I'm an expert on ratings, but it just seems stupid since we've never heard anything about them in regards to Smallville until now....Ok, I'm ranting..hopefully, someone will understand my point and reply. I just don't get how it matters if they weren't factoring these numbers in a year ago when they started providing them.

Comment

• The reason DVR ratings seem to matter more now is because DVR ratings are now going to be considered when setting ad rates.

The amount of money an advertiser pays to run an ad during a particular timeslot is determined, in part, by the ratings shows in that timeslot have gotten. The bigger the ratings, the highter the ad prices.

Until now, DVR ratings weren't considered in setting ad prices. They were available, and some people were interested in them, but no money was really riding on it. Networks didn't really make more money off of a show getting DVRd a lot so, for example, DVR numbers weren't a big factor in whether a show was renewed.

Now that DVR ratings actually count when it comes to setting ad prices, the networks, advertisers, etc., are definately gonna care about those numbers.

Comment

• The current DVR penetration rate is currently estimated at 20%. As the number of DVR's were rising, the networks and Nielsen were looking for ways to incorporate the DVR viewers into the final ratings numbers. That is why the Live +7 is becoming more important.

On a side note, there will also be Commercial 3 ratings. Advertisers have great interest in these as they will measure the viewers that actually watch the commercials live and in the 3 days following the live airing.

Comment

• Maybe because DVR usage is at the highest it's ever been, and the networks think they can explain away where all the viewers went w/ the live + 7 numbers.

Does anyone else have a better explanation?

nvmnd

Comment

• They think I watch the commercials when I recorded a show? That's what the FFWD arrow is for. LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Dannyblue1
              Now that DVR ratings actually count when it comes to setting ad prices, the networks, advertisers, etc., are definately gonna care about those numbers.
              Ok, but when did they (the networks) decide that these numbers mattered if they were already available? Is there an article about it that we can read on the subject?

At any rate, it's good for the show. If it means the numbers can be slightly higher because of it, that means more Smallville for us

Comment

• Originally posted by uhhuhhim
                Ok, but when did they (the networks) decide that these numbers mattered if they were already available?
                It seems like Nielson actually decides whether or not something will be counted, and it's up to the networks and advertisers to decide whether they are okay with it or not. And the networks and advertisers are rarely happy about the same things, so Nielson will never please everyone.

For example, I think the networks have been pushing for DVR numbers to be counted for a while. The advertisers have been fighting it. After studying the issue for a few years, Nielson finally decided to start adding DVR numbers to a show's final ratings. The advertisers aren't thrilled. The networks are.

So it wasn't really up to the networks to decide DVR numbers should be counted. It was up to Nielson.

Comment

• Ok, thanks for clearing that up, Danny. I guess this is good news for Smallville if we want to see at least one more season

Comment

• This might clarify what the Live 7 ratings mean.

MediaPost Publications is an on-line publishing resource for all advertising media professionals - TV, cable, radio, print, interactive, agencies, buyers, and reps - providing news, articles and commentary.

It also released a little more information about the 18-49 demo, the most important demo to advertisers.

"Smallville" grew 21.8% to a 2.16 rating.

Comment

• Thanks for that, bestepisode. I guess we'd add 2.16 to 4.8?

Comment

• Originally posted by uhhuhhim
                        I guess we'd add 2.16 to 4.8?
                        No. That is the 18-49 demo number.

It changed from 1.9 in the finals to 2.2 in the Live 7 ratings. It is the most important demo, the one advertisers pay attention to.

Comment

• Nielson ratings on Smallville are out today.

4.8 million viewers. Ranking 82. Last weeks ranking was 84

Comment

• Hi, can someone post the Live +7 days dvr playback number with the final rating. can't find it.

Comment

• found it... it's 5.20 million

Comment

• Originally posted by bizzaroboy9
                                found it... it's 5.20 million
                                Lana ROCKED!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢