Collapse
No announcement yet.

FLYING (done the right way)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm amazed to realise I'm the only one who didn't like the flying scene. It was a blatant ripoff of Superman, and it's was a poorly exectued scene between two characters who barely know each other and have zero chemistry.

Plus, the effetcs were cheesy. It felt like I was watching Superman I who was made 30 years ago.
    Last edited by Martin le Magicien; 10-13-2007, 10:59 AM.

Comment

I liked the scene a lot, however I found it a little dumb that he would take off like that in broad daylight. Come on, somebody somewhere had to have seen a couple of brats like them flying in the air...

Comment

If you read the graphic novel from a couple of weeks back it's explained; only "special" people look up.

Originally posted by Martin le Magicien
        I'm amazed to realise I'm the only one who didn't like the flying scene. It was a blatant ripoff of Superman
        Anyone that flies in any medium will undoubtedly draw a Superman parallel at first. Hell, a lot of things relating to comics could be seen as a "ripoff" of Superman (costumes, superpowers, dual identities, etc).
        Last edited by last man of krypton; 10-13-2007, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by last man of krypton
          If you read the graphic novel from a couple of weeks back it's explained; only "special" people look up.
          Lol, why do only "special" people look up? Is he invisible to "normals", like Claude is or something?

I'm amazed to realise I'm the only one who didn't like the flying scene. It was a blatant ripoff of Superman, and it's was a poorly exectued scene between two characters who barely know each other and have zero chemistry.

Plus, the effetcs were cheesy. It felt like I was watching Superman I who was made 30 years ago.
          I don't see how this particular flying scene was a rip of Superman...you mentioned Superman I, what scene from this movie or another do you feel this was copied from or similar to? Because if it's just the flying, Superman doesn't own flying. It's too general a concept.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderman
            Lol, why do only "special" people look up? Is he invisible to "normals", like Claude is or something?
            To quote from the Heroes graphic novel #52 (since it appears you didn't look at it): "I like to fly with my eyes closed. Oh, don't worry. I'm perfectly safe up here. You'd be surprised. People exist mostly at eye level. Takes a certain kind of person to look... up... no-one looks up. Robots can't look up... Robots scan the world from side to side... Aliens look down and up... when they choose to."

Comment

To quote from the Heroes graphic novel #52 (since it appears you didn't look at it): "I like to fly with my eyes closed. Oh, don't worry. I'm perfectly safe up here. You'd be surprised. People exist mostly at eye level. Takes a certain kind of person to look... up... no-one looks up. Robots can't look up... Robots scan the world from side to side... Aliens look down and up... when they choose to."
              Eh, that is really just a part of his philosophy, not set in stone mythology for the show. But yeah he probably flew without caring if anyone saw him because he didn't think anyone would look up. That, of course, doesn't mean no one looked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderman

I don't see how this particular flying scene was a rip of Superman...you mentioned Superman I, what scene from this movie or another do you feel this was copied from or similar to? Because if it's just the flying, Superman doesn't own flying. It's too general a concept.
                It's almost the same scene : Superman takes Lois in his arms the same way and then takes her for a little tour in a really cheesy romantic atmosphere.

I didn't feel that way when I saw Neo flying in The Matrix since he didn't take Trinity with her while some cheesy music was playing. Plus, cooler special effects

Comment

Originally posted by MidgardDragon
                  Eh, that is really just a part of his philosophy, not set in stone mythology for the show. But yeah he probably flew without caring if anyone saw him because he didn't think anyone would look up. That, of course, doesn't mean no one looked up.
                  Agreed, just because he might believe these things doesn't make them true. And I think most people do look up at the sky from time to time, the kid's just having delusions of grandeur thanks to his Superman ability...

It's almost the same scene : Superman takes Lois in his arms the same way and then takes her for a little tour in a really cheesy romantic atmosphere.

I didn't feel that way when I saw Neo flying in The Matrix since he didn't take Trinity with her while some cheesy music was playing. Plus, cooler special effects
                  So no one but Superman is allowed to sweep a girl off her feet and take her on a little bit of a tour? While the scenes are similar in ways the contexts are quite different. Lois knew Superman could fly and went along with him for a taste of what flying was like or what it felt like to be him, whereas Superboy just grabbed Claire and took off with her in an effort to reveal his true self to Claire for the first time in as dramatic a way as possible apparently.

Superman is the most famous, well-known flyer which is why he is usually referenced when flying happens...like in Reloaded, when that guy said that Neo was "doing the Superman thing". lol
                  Last edited by Xanderman; 10-14-2007, 10:48 PM.

Comment

No, Superman isn't the only one allowed to fly, and it's the first time I associate a flying character to Superman. That scene just struck me as odd.

Comment

Fair enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎