Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which person is most to thank for Lois landing her job at the DWP?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LoisL
    I voted for Grant. Lois put in effort but the whole scenario was created and controlled by Grant; he seems to be manipulating the cousins. To what end? Just harmless competition in the bull pen? *Note: I do think that Lois deserves her job at the Daily Planet.

Not to get into a debate but I feel compelled to note that perhaps you're being too harsh on Lois. In the standards of Smallville, Lois lackings (college education, Talon job, free board) are not remarkablel. Clark and Lana, the show's lead characters, have both failed to complete their college education. While the excuses vary (Clark supposedly needing more time to take care of a farm -whose chores he can handle with superspeed- and Lana dropping school in favor of extracurricular relationship drama) the fact that college education is being neglected on a grand scale indicates that the fault lies not in the individual characters (hard-drinking Lois, moping farmboy Clark, boyfriend obsessed Lana) but rather with the creative staff: writers and producers of the show.

As for getting free boarding: hmm, let's seee. Who else has foisted themselves on other people for the sake of television drama?
    1) Lana moves in with Chloe's family when her own moves to Metropolis. I found this whole situation very dubious, esp. coming from the same girl who had just the season before been so offended by Tina's suggestion of a similar arrangement.
    2) Ryan moves in with the Kents. A stray temporarily adopted until a more welcoming branch of the family can be found.
    3) Lex moves in with the Kents when his dad kicks him out.
    4) Lana joins Chloe's dorm after her sorority turns out freaks. First inviting herself so the roommate's angry.
    5) Lana moves in with Lex because her university is shut down.
    6) Chloe moves into Lois' appartment because of same reason.
    7) Kara moves into Clark's farm because she's family and homeless.
    8) According to Fierce director's cut: Lana moves into Kent farm because she's going underground.

As you can see, the excuses have sometimes been flimsy and at other times passable. The trend remains: Smallville inhabitants are invariably hospitable and Smallville residents switch homes alot. So I really don't know why Lois is always being attacked for her stay with the Kents?

Such a great option, 'tis true. I was so sorely tempted.
    p.s. excellent post debating SteveS. though i sadly doubt it will make any sort of difference.
    You have made some valid points, but you must see that Lois came into Smallville looking down on the small town. Throughout her stay in Smallville she has managed to have some very good luck. You can call Chloe, Clark, Lana college drop-outs, but Lois is not even a drop out, she is what you call a college KICK-OUT. Not saying that being a college drop out is any better. But Lois managed to get kicked out of college for drinking, and also I would like to add that she was kicked out of a college where she wasn't even supposed to be in the first place. Nor did she deserve to be. All three character (Lana, Chloe, Clark) contain a high school diploma. Without a high school diploma you are not allowed into college. LOIS LANE was incapable of graduating from HS and was handed a free education and managed to mess it up.

While living at the Kents, she payed no rent, and rarely helped out, Martha gave her a job at the talon, where she couldn't even run that successfully. Now you may be forgetting that this is supposed to be LOIS LANE. Lois Lane is not irresponsible, dependent on others, as she is portrayed on Smallville.

Comment

A man whose thinking I respect and calling a spade a spade.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveS
        You successfully listed people who stayed with the Kents or someone else,but you failed in that lois flopping was a con-job on Clark and she was worthless on the farm and in the kitchen, used up the well water or ran up the water bill indulging herself in extended showers, etc. etc. My guess is that all the other examples of guests were not so self-indulgent as lois and pulled their weight. No one else stayed at the Kent house the length that lois did and as we all should know, guests and fish both begin to stink after 3 days.
        What, exactly, are we debating here? That Lois is shown to be a loser on the show for not being in college and for getting free rent with the Kents? Or that you don't like her attitude as she did such things?

My impression from reading SexyMan's post was that he was genuinely horrified that someone on the show could go through such a sequence of dependencies. You know, depending on people to help them through tough times, etc. I argue that it's a natural thing --esp. on Smallville-- for Lois to go through the same strange hoops of irregular education and irresponsible lodging in order to fulfill the producer's plot expectations.

If this is really a complaint on her personality, then it's best to hear what you, the audience, hold as expectations.

Oh yeah, lois owes her art deco apartment in the Talon to Lana's creativity, drive, and maturity to formulate a business plan, run a business, graduate from high school on time all while being an orphan. lois was just a dependent of the General and the Kent family and did none of the above.
        No, nor did Clark, who's supposed to become Superman, a being considerably more amazing than reporter Lois Lane. Was Lois supposed to be a cheerleader-turned-cafe-owner, picking out pink ornamentation and new art decor for a property that had nostalgia value for her? I think not.

Again, the problem here seems to be in lack of clear expectations. What do you, SteveS, and you, SexyMan, expect from a Lois Lane on this teenage-style drama show? And what within the mythos created this expectation? (Golden Age comics, Silver Age comics, Bronze Age comics, Iron Age comics, Mercury Age comics, '40s cartoon, '70s cartoon, '80s cartoon, '90s cartoon, '00 cartoon, '40s theatrical serials, '50s movie, '70s movie, '80s movie, '06 movie, '50s TV show, '80s TV show, '90s TV show, this TV show, Broadway musical or any other medium you found iconic)

I am interested in hearing what you have to say (as long as this doesn't devolve into a "Lois tried to sleep with 2 men in S6"/"Lana tried to sleep with Jason in S4, did with Clark in S5, and again with Lex in S6"/"Chloe as a minor slept with a summer intern for a one-night stand" style of useless mudslinging). I'm not here to diss characters. The basis of my argument is that SV Lois' faults are always either in keeping with those of the show's other protagonists or with the many longstanding faults of iconic Lois Lane found in other media.
        Last edited by LoisL; 10-11-2007, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sexyman
          You can call Chloe, Clark, Lana college drop-outs, but Lois is not even a drop out, she is what you call a college KICK-OUT. Not saying that being a college drop out is any better.
          Here's my problem with your thinking:
          --If you're not saying that being a college dropout is better than being a college kick-out, then you are not saying being a college kick-out is worse than being a college dropout. In which case, why are you making this distinction and taking umbrage?

Here's my response:
          --If you say all things are equal in terms of education irresponsibility between college dropout and college kickout, then perhaps you agree that it is in the character or "style" that they differ. Hmm, is this a valid distinction from the writer's part? Does Lois Lane have a different style from Clark Kent and Lana Lang? YES. Does iconic Lois Lane have a different style from our alien farmboy and smalltown belle? YES. Is she more likely to sin via omission (lack of motivation, dropping out) or to sin via transgression (getting into trouble, being kicked out)? As a fan of comics' Lois Lane throughout all the ages, I'd have to choose the latter. Lois Lane is a troublemaker and trouble-seeker. She has been one since her inception from Jerry Siegel.

I would like to add that she was kicked out of a college where she wasn't even supposed to be in the first place. Nor did she deserve to be. All three character (Lana, Chloe, Clark) contain a high school diploma. Without a high school diploma you are not allowed into college. LOIS LANE was incapable of graduating from HS and was handed a free education and managed to mess it up.
          SV Lois Lane, whom you seem to equate with a bimbo, was admitted into Met U straight from her high school application. This is the University of Metropolis we are talking about: Chloe Sullivan's (the most brainy student on the show) dream college. This is SV canon. In "Facade" the Gen. told Lois that her admittance had been yanked because she had failed to pick up all her units for transfer during the last semester. Lois admits that she had racked up absences towards the end; her dad confirms that she had been dropped. Is that the scenario of someone who just isn't smart enough to finish HS -or- of a carelessly talented individual being disrupted thanks to a family crisis in the past months?

In my opinion, the Lois Lane shown in "Facade" (where she took up the remaining units and managed to win a fanbase after one article at the extra curricular school newspaper) is intelligent and confident enough --though admittedly distracted and annoyed-- to have gotten her remaining units or won her case with the dean eventually WITHOUT Lex's intervention. Lex's intervention came into play as a humorous way for Clark to rely upon his old friend again.

*Note: I don't know about your universities, but the ones here in California make room for exception cases in their admissions policy. Lois could've argued a way into Met U on a probationary status while taking the extra units needed at a local city college. Lex intervening merely cut short the process.

While living at the Kents, she payed no rent, and rarely helped out, Martha gave her a job at the talon, where she couldn't even run that successfully. Now you may be forgetting that this is supposed to be LOIS LANE. Lois Lane is not irresponsible, dependent on others, as she is portrayed on Smallville.
          Oh, she couldn't? Where do you get that from? In "Blank", S4, she seemed very much in a groove as she manned the tellers during rush hour. Again, in "Oracle" S5, Lois displayed the thoroughness of her expertise in the cafe biz when she identified Lex from his coffee order. In the absence of contradicting proof, those examples have been enough to impress me with a sense of proficiency at The Talon. I'm curious to hear why you think otherwise?

Last point but far from least: You say LOIS LANE is not irresponsible, dependant on others, etc although she is portrayed that way on Smallville.

Please tell me, from what sources do you gain your certainty that the young Lois Lane did not possess exactly the qualities as you name them. Next, please be more specific when condemning Lois. You say "irresponsible" and "dependent" using the examples of her less than helpful stay with the Kents early on in S4. I've already shown that she is far from the only Smallville character made dependent on others for lodging and board. Her "irresponsible" behavior of not helping out at the farm etc is rectified once she's settled in. She not only starts helping out at The Talon in S4, she also takes on unpaid yet stressful duties as election campaign manager for the Kents in S5 out of her sense of loyalty and gratitude to them. This carries over to her dedication as Martha's chief of staff in late S5-S6.

She proved to be very effective and able; what other SV girl became an able campaign manager and chief of staff for a politician?...none. just like no other SV girl renovated a theatre into a cafe the way Lana did. Gee, they all have their own kinds of skills.

You could say that Lois learned to be more responsible and learned to be more independent since her arrival here. That almost sounds like a journey towards becoming a more formidable and world-renown woman ! Yup, one of AlMiles' specialties.
          Last edited by LoisL; 10-11-2007, 02:55 AM.

Comment

*sigh*

Comment

I'm a little insulted about the comment that likens being kicked out of an educational establishment with worthlessness . . . being that I got kicked out of high school but have since made something of myself . . .but que sera sera, I agree hgf. Let's move on.

I made a rather brillant post about why Lois might be at the Planet.

However what, inside her own subconcious, that got her there I think is Chloe. Lois was bemoaning working at the Torch in 'Facade' and it was her little cousin that thought she'd be a natural at it and finally got her to do it.
              Last edited by LovelyLoisLane; 10-11-2007, 12:49 PM.

Comment

i think a specific part of grant's anatomy is responsible for lois getting her job...

Comment

Chloe. But LMAO @ the Lana option!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎