This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

great effects!

i thought all the effects were incredible

what separates this show from the rest is the little touches that they do. like the dam break being reflected in the car window in the Lex close-up!

fantastic!

Comment

I rather enjoyed the scene where Clark vaporized the Dam water that was raging down the river before it could overtake the man and his son! Pretty awesome!

Comment

From the Director's cut I was really expecting the water in that scene to be really bad, it turned out that the water part of the scene was my favorite effect in the epsode

Comment

Great special effects.

Comment

Originally posted by STFanatic
            From the Director's cut I was really expecting the water in that scene to be really bad, it turned out that the water part of the scene was my favorite effect in the epsode
            Why would you expect anything effects wise from Director's Cuts? We've seen time and time again that the DC's are unfinished as far as effects go, I don't get why people still think the episode will look anything like those.

Comment

Because I had high hopes, and they pulled it off when I was afraid they wouldn't, I had been hyping the premiere to several people.
              Geez, I won't say they did good again.

Comment

They did good. I said it for you. :P I'm just curious why you thought it'd look bad from the DC's. I'm not being mean or anything, I just don't understand why anyone would think the completely unfinished effects of the DC had anything to do with how it'd look in the epi.

Comment

I can't believe I am alone in thinking that the water scene was the lamest piece of CGI ever. I was so excited when the episode started and I was watching the water then suddenly the water stopped and the scene looked really fake and then Clark used his heat vision and the water evaporated leaving some equally fake looking trees.

Honestly it was like I was watching special effects out of the Power Rangers! I think the whole wall of water evaporation was a bit ambitious so they did the best they could with their budget which was very poor. Luckily the rest of the episode more than made up for the laughable start.

I really think Clark should have used his laser vision on the water in real time not bullet time. So water would still have been moving then it would have just evaporated.

Also did anyone else think that the china scene looked like a drawing at the end? It looked really fake until it panned down to the people walking at the bottom, it just looks really odd.

If the directors or actors don't mention a balls up on CGI on this episode in the commentary I shall eat my hat!

Comment

"Looking fake" is possibly one of the worst complaints I hear, and it's a common one so that's pretty depressing. Of course it looks fake, it is fake. There's no way to make a torrent of rushing water that is slowed down because the point of view we're seeing it from is super-sped-up look real. This isn't real, it's not supposed to look real.

Comment

agreed!!!

Comment

No, no, no the whole point of CGI is to make the impossible look possible - AND REAL. That's what these CGI studios are paid mega bucks for. When the impossible looks fake - that's bad CGI! We all know cybernetic robots do not exist but the terminator scared us all none the less as he looked damn real in all the films. We all know spiderman doesn't exist and people can't really swing from building to building with webs but that looked real too.

The water scene in Smallville did not look real, if you cannot make CGI action blend in with the live action don't bother.

For that brief moment it took me out of the imagination bubble of smallville to think oh my god what is this crap ?!?

The directors speak in the commentaries about shots & scenes that didn't work, they even laugh about it. So I am not wrong in being critical about some CGI that just didn't work.

Oh and on a side note, I watched a program the other day - not sci-fi but just a normal documentary about surfers chasing the big waves.

In analysing how they do it they had a shot of the live action stopped and they went into the wave showing the stopped water and the surfer and the water dripping off the surfer and the wave all stopped in mid air. I have no idea how they did it but it looked real and it wasn't like it was a sci-fi show - so it is possible to make stopped water look real. The water in smallville didn't even look like water any more it looked like plastic or a drawing.

Hey I love the show but i've got to call a spade a spade when I see it - and that was some bad cgi right there.
                        Last edited by clarkbunny; 09-29-2007, 04:26 AM.

Comment

MM's red eyes makes me horny

Comment

I liked how they did the super hearing effect a lot. I agree with the ones who were talking about it. Bizarro's heat-vision was cool, but it's supossed to be cold vision not heat vision. Clark's heat vision was also good, but not as I hoped it would look like. I knew they would change alot from the director's cut.

Just like from Progeny, it was originally planned to be longer when Clark was going to save Lex filmed in slow motion, but they cut the rest of Clark deciding weather or not to let Lex live, out because Clark wouldn't really let some one die like that even if he didn't like them and he couldn't let Chloe kill him. It was a good idea that they cut that out though.

I liked all the healing scenes espcially Bizarro's healing scene. Ohhhh. That creeped me out. Bizarro's face from the sun light scenes were good too. Kara flying was great at the end and the moon. It was amazing stuff.

Comment

I loved the clark slo-mo shot, when he jumped to hit Bizarro Clark, i like the upgrade. in other season the slow mo shots had the ripples under contril but in this episode the ripple was more controlled.

Does anyone know how do do that effect in photoshop, i got speed, heat and working on hearing, i just need slow moe and i got the effects, any help?

Comment

I still wish that the scene of Clark stopping the rushing water from the dam with his heat vision was longer. Their budget is lower now, but they've had more visual effects that I can remember. Hmm. It was probably payed by Toyota which changed it all. Clark's heat vision in Prototype was red and white like the laser beams and because of that problem they had to make us think that he was using all his energy power of heat vision he could, that's why it looked different. How are they going to bring it back? We saw Bizarro use heat vision of course it was different because Bizarro is different. I mean regular heat vision when Clark is just aiming at something, not in too much action. There's no more x-ray vision. Super hearing and heat vision have changed. Why can't they make it look like it used to? The paused shot of the rushing water was lame actually, in the director's cut, it looked like it was going to be longer and it didn't look like they would pause it in Clark time.

All of the new Metropolis shots of the DP and LC all look like they worked on it too much. It looks real but too real.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎