Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uk Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do those crisps come in learn to lighten up flavour, or are they all the one hard to please variety?

Comment

Originally posted by psycosis
      Do those crisps come in learn to lighten up flavour, or are they all the one hard to please variety?
      I'm trying to get the ones with the Prozac, but I'm not having much luck!

Comment

Originally posted by psycosis

lovin that!!!!...there is humour in this thread if no where else!!!!

tho newbaggy i do have to ask...is there anyyhing wrong with serious drama?...and serious stuff trying to be serious stuff?...and lost..once you get into it is actually compelling and does have moments of humour..but its never over done....as for heroes..well im a new and very commited fan...i dont miss any humour..more marvel at what i believe to be an excellent premise that twists a new way each week...and back to small ville...can i ask if it is your favourite US show?....is it just fallout that has disappointed you?....or the season in general?

Comment

Originally posted by keeforelli
          lovin that!!!!...there is humour in this thread if no where else!!!!

tho newbaggy i do have to ask...is there anyyhing wrong with serious drama?...and serious stuff trying to be serious stuff?...and lost..once you get into it is actually compelling and does have moments of humour..but its never over done....as for heroes..well im a new and very commited fan...i dont miss any humour..more marvel at what i believe to be an excellent premise that twists a new way each week...and back to small ville...can i ask if it is your favourite US show?....is it just fallout that has disappointed you?....or the season in general?
          I love serious drama, but I hate it when writers try to pass off solemnity and potentousness as seriousness. I'll give you an example to try and explain. In the late Seventies, the esteemed director Linday Anderson adapted an Alan Bennett play for television, but deliberately removed all the humour from the script so that the play could achieve its "true seriousness". Clive James, then TV critic of "The Observer", described the result as resembling a "Brecht rewrite of Duck Soup", and pointed out that removing the jokes from the script actually removed some of the serious points that Bennett was trying to make. He added the the production proved "that even a writer as intelligent as Alan Bennett can fall prey to the delusion that solemnity equals seriousness".

That's what Heroes feels like to me: something that's trying to look like a Big Serious Drama, but isn't. All the solemnity and potentousness simply emphasises how banal are the script and characterisations. It has a lifelessness that has nothing to do with being a good serious drama.

Actually, that is where Smallville scores for me over something like Heroes. Yes, it's hardly Shakespeare, but on a good day, it's good unpretentious fun with lively characterisations. "Fallout" was a bad episode for me because it fell into the "trying too hard to be serious" trap, and ended up feeling flat and lifeless. "Arrow" and "Reunion" simultaneously manged to be more fun and more serious. As far as the rest of this season goes "Sneeze" and "Wither" were not great as drama, but had just enough fun moments to make their weaknesses forgiveable. The other low point for me was "Zod", for similar reasons to my dislike of "Vessel". Both these episodes were basically positioning exercises, more concerned with ensuring that particular characters were in particular locations than telling a good story. Rather like an early-eighties Bond movie, the stunts and spectacle were enjoyable, but it was hard to care about what was going on.

So, possibly the two biggest "mythos" episodes of the season are the ones I would give a thumbs-down to. However, in both cases, I would say that it wasn't the mythos that was the problem, but the storytelling. And, even though I may be a bit of an old misery at times, I am liking this season overall.

Comment

Originally posted by newbaggy
            I love serious drama, but I hate it when writers try to pass off solemnity and potentousness as seriousness. I'll give you an example to try and explain. In the late Seventies, the esteemed director Linday Anderson adapted an Alan Bennett play for television, but deliberately removed all the humour from the script so that the play could achieve its "true seriousness". Clive James, then TV critic of "The Observer", described the result as resembling a "Brecht rewrite of Duck Soup", and pointed out that removing the jokes from the script actually removed some of the serious points that Bennett was trying to make. He added the the production proved "that even a writer as intelligent as Alan Bennett can fall prey to the delusion that solemnity equals seriousness".

That's what Heroes feels like to me: something that's trying to look like a Big Serious Drama, but isn't. All the solemnity and potentousness simply emphasises how banal are the script and characterisations. It has a lifelessness that has nothing to do with being a good serious drama.

Actually, that is where Smallville scores for me over something like Heroes. Yes, it's hardly Shakespeare, but on a good day, it's good unpretentious fun with lively characterisations. "Fallout" was a bad episode for me because it fell into the "trying too hard to be serious" trap, and ended up feeling flat and lifeless. "Arrow" and "Reunion" simultaneously manged to be more fun and more serious. As far as the rest of this season goes "Sneeze" and "Wither" were not great as drama, but had just enough fun moments to make their weaknesses forgiveable. The other low point for me was "Zod", for similar reasons to my dislike of "Vessel". Both these episodes were basically positioning exercises, more concerned with ensuring that particular characters were in particular locations than telling a good story. Rather like an early-eighties Bond movie, the stunts and spectacle were enjoyable, but it was hard to care about what was going on.

So, possibly the two biggest "mythos" episodes of the season are the ones I would give a thumbs-down to. However, in both cases, I would say that it wasn't the mythos that was the problem, but the storytelling. And, even though I may be a bit of an old misery at times, I am liking this season overall.
            I agree with everything you've said there, the only difference being I found jimmy funny.

Comment

hey newbaggy..thanks!!!.. im getting educated here....i can understand what you are looking for from your serials...and thanks for the insight...you are very knowleadgeable....it sounds like you have a back ground in or exceptional understanding of TV and drama..so i think perhaps when you comment on here..it gets challenged because of the deep insight you have..and i think that can be lost on a general forum sometimes- now i know why you have your views..i can almost agree with them...i look forward to your views with anticipation for tonights episode...

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎