Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Friendships and Relationships

Please answer the following questions, and provide reasons for your answers. Are the people we meet on the internet really our Friends? I mean, is it possible to really consider someone a friend if you have never met them? And what about relationships? Is it possible to develop deep feelings for someone that you have never even met?

This question comes up, because I have a tendency to refer my internet contacts as friends. Another friend of mine (who is not a big internet person) often corrects me and says that these are not my friends because I don't even know them. Other people have told me that they feel closer to their internet contacts than to any of their "real life" friends.

I'm just wondering where people stand on this issue.

From my experience here..and I do mean here as in Ksite...Yes I beileve that your friends online are your friends...I have made some very good friends here that I consider better friends then some of my friends I have known for years..my best friend I met on here and we are planning on meeting in a month actually!

And as for developing real feelings for someone online...yes it is possible to develope real feelings for someone you have never met. It is possible to fall in love online.

I truly 100% beileve this to all be true!!

Comment

Of course they are. Friendship is a bond, and that bond can be created in a cornucopia of ways.

I met my partner of 5 years online - and a couple of other girls before her.

Yes, of course it's not always the case that people are who they say they are - but that happens in the flesh, too.

Comment

I've had people correct me on that too. They think it's weird, and just don't seem to understand.
        I'm actually closer to some of my "internet friends", than I am some of my "real friends."
        If you talk to someone on a regular basis, and become a part of their life, you CAN develop feelings. I did that once. I was in a long-term relationship, & made an online "friend."

We would chat for hours, about whatever came to mind. Pretty soon (and for no "good" reason) we eventually met.
        Needless to say, I almost screwed up what I had, and had to end that friendship quickly. Neither one of us wanted to, but we knew it was best (given that we were both "taken").

It can happen in a totally non-sexual way too. I believe that there's nothing in the world wrong with that.
        It fulfills a need to talk to somebody that can be objective, or just to be silly with.
        I love my K-site & MySpace friends.

Comment

Yeah, it depends on the amount of contact you decide to have with them.

Just take a look at Mali and you know there can be real friends from the internet.

Comment

I've always had disagreements with friends on this, as few of them believe internet relationships work. I'll be honest - I've been in an internet relationship for the past 14 weeks and have grown to love this person very deeply. Whilst the distance is difficult, I truly believe that you're capable of finding that one person who'll completely change your life online. We talk at least 4 - 5 times weekly, email and text one another. When the other partner isn't around, we email telling who much we miss the other. It just works like that, but it's been great for me because I'm not ready for anything intense, and it's been great because there's level ground; no pressure to be anything I'm not. Best of all, I feel that our love is immensely strong and that I have found true love - distance truly does make the heart grow fonder.

Comment

I think people you meet on the Internet can be your friends. I personally wouldn't try dating or anything like that online. IMO, there are some things that just can't be substituted for the traditional "meeting people in person".

Comment

Originally posted by smallvilleobsessor17
                Yeah, it depends on the amount of contact you decide to have with them.

Just take a look at Mali and you know there can be real friends from the internet.
                word...we are the poster children for online friendships

I think its easy for friendships to develop online and then manifest into real life. As for romantic relationships, I think its much more hard but definately is possible and the feelings are all real. I think there has to be alot more effort though to make it work in real life. If both people are willing to put that effort in though I think it could work. I feel like you really do get to know people online because all you really are doing is talking. Its like you are getting to know the person from the inside out, opposed to in "real" life in which you often get to know the person on a shallow level at first. But I do think that for it to ever be anything "real" you must eventually cross over into the physical world.

Comment

I've met people online that I consider friends. I've converted RW friendships to internet when they've moved away, and I don't feel different than the people I've only met on-line. I should say that I've been married the whole time I've chatted online and never tried to do anything in a romantic way, but the friendships seem quite real to me. I've helped others and others have helped me whether its been listening, making me laugh or just talking to me. Isn't that the crux of friendship?

Comment

Actuaaly i belive that a friendchip can "born" online...since now,in k-site, i met lot of amazing people and i think i'll make friends soon!! i met my ex girlfriend online and it's possible to fall inlove with somebody u have never met or talked...

Comment

I Think Friendships can defiantly be born online.I 've meet some really cool people online (Especially here at K-Site) that are totally great and nice . As for relationships i'm sure it's possible but i don't know of any myself

Comment

For me, my online friends are the best. Before I made friends online, most of my "friends" were rather mean and didn't respect me, which ended up lots of times with me in tears . After meeting and making friends online, I relized how horid my taste in friends had been and stopped hanging out with the "friends". Now, I'm so much happier! Of course, I still make friends offline, but we're so much closer then my friends before.

So, Yes. Friendship is completely real online, and love is too.

Comment

I have never had any romantic attachments to people online (was married before i had the internet) but i absolutely believe it's possible, and know people who have met their lifepartners/soulmates online

I have made many good friends online (in fact ,the person i am closest to in the world ..apart from my immediate family that is.. is someone i have never met but has been an important part of my life for years now. We have helped each other through everything)

I would be lost without my internet friends

Comment

I can say with certainty that quite a few people around here are my friends. I know them, I like them, they are my friends. It's really simple, we shouldn't over-analyze the concept of friendship, IMO.

Once upon a time, there was a poster called angel7.......she started out as an annoying little poster, we argued a lot with her, we got upset, she kept coming back, we produced >50 pages of discussion. And what happened? We got to know each other, well..... at least a little bit. Which can be a lot, in today's world. Then, one day she got banned unfairly and me and my friends around here suddenly realized that we missed her. Can you imagine???

Why am I telling you about her? Hehe..... Well, let's just say our friend is back......

Comment

Originally posted by InLove_with_Chloe
                              I can say with certainty that quite a few people around here are my friends. I know them, I like them, they are my friends. It's really simple, we shouldn't over-analyze the concept of friendship, IMO.

Once upon a time, there was a poster called angel7.......she started out as an annoying little poster, we argued a lot with her, we got upset, she kept coming back, we produced >50 pages of discussion. And what happened? We got to know each other, well..... at least a little bit. Which can be a lot, in today's world. Then, one day she got banned unfairly and me and my friends around here suddenly realized that we missed her. Can you imagine???

Why am I telling you about her? Hehe..... Well, let's just say our friend is back......
                              Don't forget we learned about her amazing proof reading dog Lucky.

I miss her.

Hey, Dejected Angel, you're aren't asking this question as part of some university paper or thesis, are you?

Just asking...
                              Last edited by Nospam; 09-05-2007, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎