No announcement yet.

UK Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Thoughts

Enjoyed that, felt it was quite a strong episode and this may not be that bad a season after all

hey there..i particularly liked the contrast with last weeks action based episode..i felt it was very dark and almost gothic in feel....some of the deaths looking particularly vicious....the first guy being speared reminded of the omen, and also final destination in a 'guess how they die' way!!!!...the burgeoning relationship between ollie and clark is also good to see, and the further deterioration with clark and lex well played....and how dark was lexs younger character?...his friend (forget his name) getting a very violent kicking and then extremely violent car accident- I was left thinking just how dark the episode was....esp when you compare to some of the fluffier episodes...but really liked this..much more adult themes....another success for me!!!

Comment

Again, a strong episode showing what the cast can do given a decent script. Interesting to see what was essentialy a character piece. However, it did raise a few points:

1) Is Steven S De Knight obsessed with impaling?

Lana gets a poker through the hand in "Zod", now Ollie gets pinned to the wall by an arrow through the shoulder. Is it some peculiar fetish? I think we should be told.

Also, Lana gets pushed to ground, gets knocked out, has to stay in Smallville Medical Center with big bandage around her head. Lex gets pushed to ground, gets knocked out, gets away with a cut on the head and no apparent need for medical treatment. Presumably, he has a rather thick skull!!!

2) Lana

For five years, I have watched Lana as Clark's love interest, heroine and "lead female", and grown to loathe her as the character never seemed to suit any of these roles. Now, Lana has the smaller supporting role of Lex's girlfriend, and Kristin Kreuk is suddenly ten times more convincing because she has stopped looking like a square peg in a round hole. I know it won't last, and she will revert to being the most ridiculously useless character on the show, but it looks fun while it lasts.

3) Chloe

I never thought I would say this, but here was an episode that proved that you could do Smallville without Chloe. There was nothing wrong with Allison Mack's performance, but here was a story in which she barely appeared, and I didn't really miss her. Not having Chloe around meant that we actually had Clark working things out for himself for a change, and he seemed to cope quite well. With Lois and Ollie involved, there was no need to have Chloe in order to inject humour into the episode, and Clark actually sounded smarter and more confident talking to Lois and Ollie than he usually does with Chloe.

I still love the character, and certainly am not suggesting that she be written out. However, "Reunion" was an episode that (probably unintentionally) questioned whether Chloe is still essential to Smallville.

Comment

Another strong episode! I liked this one a lot. Secretly I was hoping for another Memoria but realistically I knew that was unlikely. Actually, I expected this to be a Lex-centric episode but it turned out to be a good ensemble piece with some great development of other characters, primarily Lois. She is achieving higher status with every episode which I guess is down to a mixture of good acting from ED and improving scripts. Lois has had some killer lines recently and the "retarded" quote was pure Metropolis! Yes, the writers are shoe-horning the journalism but she's fast becoming the character we've seen in the comics and on the screen.
        The scenes with Lex and Ollie were top-notch (as was the scene with Lex and Clark). MR has taken the character to a very dark place but has done so with amazing subtlety. I love the way he has Lionel on the backfoot - nothing he does now is to impress his father and that has totally changed the relationship they have.
        Having really enjoyed Arrow and Reunion I'm not too fussed about the upcoming zoners storyline; what with the Raya cliffhanger it seems the writers are wanting to bring it to the fore, but I'd rather see more of the Lex/Ollie/Lois/Clark interaction!
        Originally posted by newbaggy
        Kristin Kreuk is suddenly ten times more convincing because she has stopped looking like a square peg in a round hole. I know it won't last, and she will revert to being the most ridiculously useless character on the show, but it looks fun while it lasts.
        I agree! I know "Lexana" is a dirty word around here but I think it's great.
        Originally posted by newbaggy
        I still love the character, and certainly am not suggesting that she be written out. However, "Reunion" was an episode that (probably unintentionally) questioned whether Chloe is still essential to Smallville.
        I'd agree with that too. It does suggest that Chloe is not long for this world! I hope that's not the case because I'm a big fan of the character, but ever since we found out that her mother is a mentalist I can't help thinking the same fate awaits Chloe. Either that or she is the real Lois!

Comment

It was a cool episode ....i liked it ..and i thought ollie looked most like his older self ...then lex ...i liked the end where lex said

"i regret...........................ever thinking i needed friends like YOU"

ouch much

Comment

I certainly agree that the young lex and ollie look a lot like they're older selves, great choice of young actors there.

Very little chloe this week, but did you notice clark saying to ollie something about finding the right girl for him (I forget the exact quote), and then in walks chloe? That ought to make chlarkers happy.

I'm loving the clark/lois/ollie stories, already the new guy feels like an essential part of smallville. Lana on the other hand did nothing but give lex someone to talk to. If she wasn't there I wouldn't have missed her.

Comment

Originally posted by Pesk
              I certainly agree that the young lex and ollie look a lot like they're older selves, great choice of young actors there.
              Especially Ollie! For me, the kid playing Duncan looked uncannily like the boy who played Lex in Memoria - I need to check the cast credits! I wonder if they considered using the actor from Memoria? I think the boy in Reunion was probably chosen to play a more feisty/brattish Lex, however.
              Originally posted by Pesk
              Lana on the other hand did nothing but give lex someone to talk to. If she wasn't there I wouldn't have missed her.
              Ha! True, she didn't do much this week, but I like her new role in the show in general. She was a bit like Lex's scullery maid with her "Mr. Queen" line.

Comment

Sometimes i feel these types of eps are actully better than the action ones - moments like these are when we find out what really makes each charater tick.
                Last edited by psycosis; 08-23-2007, 03:35 AM.

Comment

I think it's a testament to Smallville Lex's complexity that 6 seasons in you can still do episodes like these effortlessly. And Oliver is proving a strong addition. Very encouriging signs for the rest of the season.

Comment

has anyone noticed how much more positive our reaction is than that initially in the US?....i really was expecting the worst...the last two episodes have been awesome!!!..reunion the more i think of it especially...i am now more heavily involved in smallville than ever!!!!....i wonder where reunion will take the rest of the series?

Comment

Originally posted by keeforelli
                      has anyone noticed how much more positive our reaction is than that initially in the US?....i really was expecting the worst...the last two episodes have been awesome!!!..reunion the more i think of it especially...i am now more heavily involved in smallville than ever!!!!....i wonder where reunion will take the rest of the series?
                      Yeah, I have noticed that too - the guys over there do seem to pass rather harsh judgement on the show in general, and I always thought it was us Brits that were the most pessimistic.

It's good though because the worse we expect the more positive our opinions become - the rest of the series can only get better!

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎