Hangout for bisexual and homosexual peeps

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw the video of the soldier coming out to his dad. I was glas that his dad said he still loved him and nothing changed.

On another note, what does everyone think about the controversy surrounding Chaz Bono on Dancing with the Stars?

Comment

• *looks around* It's so quiet in here, I can almost see dust! Tsk tsk, this will not do, this place needs to be looking faaaabulouuuus! *starts cleaning*

I'm only joking, I'm not that flamboyant, honest! I do identify as being a homosexual male, though. I've been out in the open since I was about 19, and things have been going great. I was lucky to have really supportive friends and family, and those who haven't asked I'm sure haven't because they already have an idea (since apparently I exude it somehow *he says as he shakes the glitter out of his hair*).

It's really good to hear stories like the one mentioned above about the soldier coming out to his dad with the love still there. It's terrifying when you have to walk on eggshells because you never know what relationships are going to change for the worse just by that small announcement. I only pray that no one here ever has to, or did have to, face the repercussions/consequences just for coming out to the wrong people/person. Everyone who wants to come out deserves to be able to with open arms and opens hearts of support and love.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonatus
        *looks around* It's so quiet in here, I can almost see dust! Tsk tsk, this will not do, this place needs to be looking faaaabulouuuus! *starts cleaning*

I'm only joking, I'm not that flamboyant, honest! I do identify as being a homosexual male, though. I've been out in the open since I was about 19, and things have been going great. I was lucky to have really supportive friends and family, and those who haven't asked I'm sure haven't because they already have an idea (since apparently I exude it somehow *he says as he shakes the glitter out of his hair*).

It's really good to hear stories like the one mentioned above about the soldier coming out to his dad with the love still there. It's terrifying when you have to walk on eggshells because you never know what relationships are going to change for the worse just by that small announcement. I only pray that no one here ever has to, or did have to, face the repercussions/consequences just for coming out to the wrong people/person. Everyone who wants to come out deserves to be able to with open arms and opens hearts of support and love.
        Welcome! And it has been too quiet around here!

Has anyone seen the video of the 8 year old boy who told Michelle Bachman that his mother was gay and doesn't need fixing? Some people say the kid was coached while apparantely the mother was going to say something but chickened out and wanted to leave and her son pulled her back in line and said he wanted to talk to her.

Thoughts?

Comment

• Tsk tsk, once again I see dust surrounding the place, and it just simply won't do! *dawns a fabulous outfit and goes about the cleaning*

I actually haven't seen that video before, but I'm not surprised. I can understand the mother's fear of wanting to talk though. Sometimes it's just really hard to get the words out on something like that, even when you have your child defending who you are as a person. Kudos to the son for sticking up for mom like that though! He sounds like he'll grow up to be a wonderful person. The thing with videos though is that you do have to take them with a grain of salt. Sometimes, it is quite a possibility that it's either staged, people are coached to say things, or the like. But I'm generally more apt to believe that things like that were said from the heart of the person who said them...which in this case is an 8 year old kid.

Oh! Good news for my state, which is Washington. For those of you who know, Washington is a state that doesn't recognize same-sex marriages, but instead allows "Domestic Partnerships." Well, not too long ago, our Governor made a wonderful speech urging Washington to create a marriage equality law that would overturn the D.P thing and recognize same-sex marriages...and there are a ton of people pushing right behind her to see it become a reality. Well, just a couple of days ago, it went on to a vote in the Senate, and it passed! If the house passes it, Gregoire (aka our Governor) is going to put the finishing touches as quick as she can so that it can come into effect. I'm so happy, and I really hope that it comes into effect!

There's worry that the opposition will rise, get enough signatures, and have it thrown onto the November ballot. But I have faith in the people of Washington. We'll shut the opposition up and turn Washington into a complete Equal Rights state.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonatus
            Oh! Good news for my state, which is Washington. For those of you who know, Washington is a state that doesn't recognize same-sex marriages, but instead allows "Domestic Partnerships." Well, not too long ago, our Governor made a wonderful speech urging Washington to create a marriage equality law that would overturn the D.P thing and recognize same-sex marriages...and there are a ton of people pushing right behind her to see it become a reality. Well, just a couple of days ago, it went on to a vote in the Senate, and it passed! If the house passes it, Gregoire (aka our Governor) is going to put the finishing touches as quick as she can so that it can come into effect. I'm so happy, and I really hope that it comes into effect!

There's worry that the opposition will rise, get enough signatures, and have it thrown onto the November ballot. But I have faith in the people of Washington. We'll shut the opposition up and turn Washington into a complete Equal Rights state.
            I heard about Washington being very close to being the next state to approve of same-sex marriages. I wish your state the best of luck and hope it passes. Then you can join my state, New York, and have fabulous weddings

Comment

• A tragedy, that seems largely forgotten:

40 years ago today 32 people died in a New Orleans gay bar. It was the largest LGBT massacre in American history. The bar was called UpStairs Lounge and had also served as the temporary home of New Orleans’ Metropolitan Community Church (MCC).

It was a sweltering night on June 24, 1973 in New Orleans. Gays throughout the city were celebrating the fourth anniversary of the Stonewall Riots and the end of Pride Weekend in New Orleans. However, their celebration looked very different from what we are accustomed to today. There was no Pride parade in New Orleans that year. There were no gay flags hanging in the streets of the French Quarter. Instead there was widespread homophobia, rampant discrimination, and hateful violence for gays living out and proud.

The French Quarter had nearly two dozen gay bars at the time; however, gay life was almost entirely underground and talked about in hushed tones. The threat of violence was something that followed gays of this era on a daily basis. Metropolitan Community Churches in both Nashville and Los Angeles had been torched by arsonists earlier that year.

The UpStairs Lounge was on the second story of a building located at 141 Chartres Street. Entering the bar from the street meant climbing a flight of stairs that ended at a heavy metal door that remained locked. To get in, gay patrons would ring a buzzer.

On the night of June 24th the buzzer sounded at 7:56 p.m. signalling that a cab had arrived downstairs. According to survivors no one had ordered a cab; however, to see who the cab was waiting on someone opened the door.

Immediately the intense smell of Ronsonol lighter fluid filled the UpStairs Lounge. Someone had saturated the stairwell with the highly flammable liquid. Before anyone had a chance to react a fireball erupted up the stairwell and into the UpStairs Lounge.

There was no such thing as a clearly marked exit back in these days. Patrons were left to scramble for their lives as the heat from the fire and poisonous fumes roared closer. UpStairs Lounge’s bartender, Buddy Rasmussen, helped 15 men escape from the fire. One of the men who made it to safety was George Mitchell, the assistant pastor at MCC. When he realized that his partner, Louis Broussard, had not escaped with him he immediately ran back into the burning flames. Mitchell managed to find Broussard in the chaotic inferno; however, they were unable to escape the building before being consumed by the fire. The two men burned alive as they held each other tightly in their final moments.

Other gay patrons tried to flee through the windows. Several windows were boarded up to maintain privacy and others were covered with iron bars 14’’ apart. A few men were able to squeeze through the bars to safety. MCC’s Reverend Bill Larson tried to escape through the window and got stuck. Helpless and wedged between the bars he was burned to death. His body remained in the window for nearly 24 hours after the fire was extinguished.

The story received very little press coverage. At first, news reports did not mention that the UpStairs Lounge was a gay bar. However, when the newspaper finally reported the sexual orientation of the victims it did so alongside bigoted quotes. In the newspaper a local cab driver said, “I hope the fire burned their dresses off.” A woman was quoted saying, “The Lord had something to do with this.”

However, the most insulting comments came from radio hosts who asked, “What will they bury the queers in.” They responded with, “Fruit jars.”

Three bodies were never identified and were buried in unmarked graves at Potter’s Field. The City of New Orleans denied requests from the MCC who wanted to give the three men a proper burial.
              From fenuxe.com

Comment

• Bye, bye DOMA (don't let the door hit you on the way out)...

Comment

• Originally posted by jon-el87
                  A tragedy, that seems largely forgotten:

From fenuxe.com
                  OMG thats heartbreaking! Ive actually never heard of this tragedy before. It never ceases to amaze me how much hate people have in their hearts. I hope the sadisic scumbags who did this burn in hell because it was certainly NOT "The lord" who "Had something to do with this". It really just breaks my heart into pieces

Now like I said before, I dont know anything about this tradgedy. Were the bad guys at least arrested? And please say yes they were also Executed
                  Last edited by MannaBanana; 08-19-2013, 07:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MannaBanana
                    Now like I said before, I dont know anything about this tradgedy. Were the bad guys at least arrested? And please say yes they were also Executed
                    The police arrested one suspect, but he escaped and wasn't found until he commited suicide in 1974. No others were found and the police closed down the investigation, in 1980, for lack of leads.

Comment

• Originally posted by jon-el87
                      The police arrested one suspect, but he escaped and wasn't found until he commited suicide in 1974. No others were found and the police closed down the investigation, in 1980, for lack of leads.
                      Well thats disappointing

Comment

• gay marriage is now legal in the uk!

Comment

• yes, I will do

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎