Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 new cast members.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay I'm not trying to stir things up, but I have to ask a question. And please don't chase me out of here with flaming torchs and pitchforks

Why is everyone soo upset about these characters? People are reacting like this is the worst news in TV history and I just don't get it. Especially given what little information we actually have about them. I mean what do we really know??

1. The are girls.

2. One will be a potential love interest - everyone assumes that its now going to be Supernatural: The OC Edition, but why?? Does it have to go that way?

3. They will be hunters.

4. They will be series regulars. Again, people are jumping to the conclusion that this means the Sam and Dean will be relegated to being featured players on their own show. I have read nothing, outside of fan speculation, that indicates that is the case. Series regular does not mean they are going to show up in every episode or take over the lead. JA and JP are still the 2 "stars" of the show.

5. One has a secret. No information about that secret has been released, but again everyone is jumping to the worst possible conclusions about it.

And that, to my knowledge, is all we actually know about these characters. We haven't seen any scripts, any lines, any scenes featuring these characters yet. We have no idea how Kripke will write them, how they will be integrated into the show nor how often they will actually show up.

The biggest rumor I have seen floating around is that these characters were the CW's idea and not Kripkes. But, does anyone know that for sure? Has Kripke issued any sort of statement verifying that? I haven't seen anything official that states this yet 90% of the fans out there are convinced its true. What if these characters were in Kripkes plan from the get go? He did say he had 3 season mapped out already.

Despite what it may seem, I'm not completely gung ho about the new characters, but I don't understand the rabid backlash they have created. People hate them based on what, a few small spoilers?? IMO we don't have enough information to hate them yet.

I just wish someone could explain to me why this has caused such an overreaction (again, just my opinion) among the fan community. I honestly don't understand it.

My biggest fear is that all this ranting and raving is going to hurt the show in the long run. Alot of people are turned off by all this negativity and I'm worried we may lose viewers because of it.

Anyway, I did not mean any offense to anyone so please do not take it that way. I am just so dumbfounded by this reaction that I had to get all this off my chest.

There, I fell better now. Thanks for listening.

Comment

I agree with chloe_fan.

Comment

Speaking only for me, this has NOTHING - not even .000000000000000001% - to do with the fact that the 2 new hunters are females. I'm not sexist like that.

What I don't like about the additions is that the spoilers say they will most likely be romantically involved with the brothers.

I think what does it for me, is that the last 2 seasons, Dean & Sam would "save the damsel in distress" and thus make the girl(s) like one of them, but with no strings attached... a "wham-bam-thank you, ma'am" kinda deal, and that was ok, because ya knew that it wouldn't turn out to be any real relationships going on, just "get in, get out, move on" basis week to week. I just fear the romances will become more than they should - ala, the triangles taking up way much more screen and story time than they should be on Smallville.

Comment

I got this little bit of information off the TV Guide Pocast. Here's the link:

Its in episode 105.

They mention Supernatural (it starts around the 29 minute mark).
          Basically Ausiello and Angel Cohn are talking and Angel mentions she talked to Eric Kripke. Ausiello then makes a comment about wanting to ask him some questions and Angel says he couldn't answer anything about the new casting rumors. Her quote from Kripke was that he couldn't say anything because "the network put the kibosh on that". She went on to say that Kripke told her to call back in a few weeks.

Any speculation on what these means? Is the CW simply telling Kripke not to say anything or did he mean that the CW has literally put the kibosh on these new characters??

Comment

What's kibosh?

Comment

It means to stop from happening or developing.
              Last edited by Chlarkerlover; 06-27-2007, 02:45 PM.

Comment

i think they ment he is forbidden to talk about it or something. i dont think they are getting rid of the characters i think they just dont want it getting out cause they know its a bad idea and dont want ratings to drop to soon lol.

Comment

Haha

Yeah, my first tought was they just didn't want him to talk, but it doesn't make much sense. I mean, why put a gag order on Kripke now. Its a little late for that isn't it, the cats already out of the bag!!

But, like you said it also doesn't make sense that they have just decided to scrap the new characters all together.

Overall, this just really confused me Maybe we will find out more in the next few weeks.
                  Last edited by chole_fan; 06-27-2007, 07:22 PM.

Comment

The "cat is out of the bag", so to speak, but "putting the kibosh on 'new character' questions" is a way of not letting it toooooo far out of the bag (just yet; but should get more news fairly soon).

I am stupid about such things, but shouldn't they be heading back to wherever it is they film to start up S3 soon - seeing as how the season debuts in mid-to-late September, and July is just a few days away? Or does production not take as long as I think, and they won't start up again until almost, or into, August??

Comment

i think it will start filming around the same time smallville would give or take a week and smallville as i remember from last year starts like mid july. Im sure they wrote scripts and started planning episodes for the first few episodes already. they usually film from july to october or something. episodes usually take a couple weeks to film and then it takes some time to stick in special effects and sound and all of that but while thats being done they still film other scenes for other episodes. so from script to screen it could take about a month for the episode to be created but while editors are editing and writers are writing they can film another episode since the actors dont deal with all of that other stuff and they tend to have different directors every week. Sounds confusing lol.

Comment

The Season 3 Premiere episode is already filmed and was filmed after AHBL Part Two to help the actors continuity for those scenes. Unless there's somethings they need to change or tweak.

Comment

Originally posted by chole_fan
                          Why is everyone soo upset about these characters?
                          I think there are 3 main reasons why there is so much trepidation for bringing these 2 new characters on:

1.) Less of Sam and Dean.
                          I would say that the majority of fans watch the show for the brothers and their interactions. Yes, Dean is funny, they boys are hot the hunts are cool but it's the brothers and the way they are together that keeps most of us coming back for more. Also the mystery surrounding their past as well. I think a lot of fans are thinking if they bring in these new chicks (and they would feel the same way if it were 2 guys) that we get less Sam and Dean time.
                          Which is not good.

2.) The bit about potential love interests spooks a lot of fans. How can the boys do their thing and all when they are busy wooing these 2 girls? How will their brotherly dynamic change? How can they do the flirting and saving of the damsel of the week when they've already got girlfriends?
                          Etc.

3.) The fear that (like another show we all know *cough*Smallville*cough*) Supernatural will become mired in the relationship stuff and will stop focusing on the boys, the hunts, the drama and all that.

Yes, there is a lot of noise over this but there was just as much (and perhaps even more) about the announcement of Jo and Ellen last year joining (and we all saw how that worked out).

I think it's good for the show. People only get mad when they care about a show.

Anyway, hope that helps you understand.

(And btw, I am trepidatious for all the reasons listed above but i put my trust in Kripke and the gang to not mess it up.)

Comment

I understand not wanting a complete change to the show. I love the show they way it is. And I certainly don't want to see a bunch of love triangles or angst nor do I want to see Sam and Dean pushed aside.

I guess what I don't understand is why everyone is jumping to the worst possible conclusions for these characters. Everyone assumes Sam and Dean will be pushed aside, they assume that the love interest will br written the way they are on shows like SV and they assume that the show is going to change completely. Why is no one willing to give these new characters the benefit of the doubt and assume they will be done right? Wow...I used the word assume a lot in that paragraph.

Anyway, I guess I don't get the pessimistic attitude. Fans have judged and condemed these characters without giving them a chance.

As far as Jo and Ellen - by the end of the season I really liked Ellen. Jo never stood a chance. The fans made up their mind before hand not to like her and nothing was going to change that. It is my understanding that Kripke changed his plans for her and Ellen due to fan demand. So we will never know what Jo and Ellen were meant to be like, how they were supposed to develop and where there story would have gone.

I know that fans only complain about shows they are passionate about and that we are the ones that keep shows going. If we don't watch, shows get cancelled. But, there is IMO a flip side. I really feel like overzealous fans can be the death of a show. I feel like a show creator has the right to see his vision through. Yes, fan concerns should be heard, but they should not always be the basis for changing things. I think creative control of a show has to stay with the creator, not the fans (or the network for that matter). I just don't want it to end up where Kripke feels like he has to cave to every fan demand to save his show and then lose the essence of the show he created.

Does that make any sense at all? I don't think I explained that very well.

Anyway, thats just my opinion and I definitely realize I am in the minority. I've watched this show from day 1 and have a lot of emotional investment in it, but I guess I am just not as afraid of change as some other fans.

The one things we do have in common: I have faith in Kripke not to screw everything up.
                            Last edited by chole_fan; 06-28-2007, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chole_fan

I guess what I don't understand is why everyone is jumping to the worst possible conclusions for these characters.
                              I would say this is probably because a great many fans of SPN are SV fans and having seen it happen on SV they expect SV's "sister show" to follow the same pattern.
                              Also, when one is filled with fear it is easy to go right to the worst possible outcome.

Everyone assumes Sam and Dean will be pushed aside
                              pretty much inherently in the fact that new series regulars are coming on board means less screen time for the boys and that doesn't sit well with fans of the Brothers at all. Looking back we got a lot less brotherly screentime together when Jo and/or Ellen were around in Season 2.

they assume that the love interest will br written the way they are on shows like SV
                              again, most fans are only using what they know or have been shown in the past as a basis for what's to come. Not unreasonable.

Why is no one willing to give these new characters the benefit of the doubt and assume they will be done right?
                              I think some of us were until we heard that the network basically foisted these 2 chicks on Kripke.

It is my understanding that Kripke changed his plans for her and Ellen due to fan demand.
                              that's my understanding also. Jo was supposed to be Dean's girlfriend but so many fans disliked her and didn't want to see her with Dean that was changed.

I really feel like overzealous fans can be the death of a show.
                              I've got to disagree with you there. The writer of the new SPN novel has even stated that SPN fans aren't even in the top 10 of the most dedicated, overzelous fans of any show he's ever written for.
                              And part of me thinks there is no such thing as being too overzealous of a show. But then I'm a Trekkie so... LOL

I feel like a show creator has the right to see his vision through. Yes, fan concerns should be heard, but they should not always be the basis for changing things. I think creative control of a show has to stay with the creator, not the fans (or the network for that matter). I just don't want it to end up where Kripke feels like he has to cave to every fan demand to save his show and then lose the essence of the show he created.
                              I agree. But you also don't want it to end up like Smallville where many, many fans have been calling for things to change for a long time and are growing more and more dissatisified with the show as AlandMiles stick to their plan (and don't ohIdontknow stop with the Clana already! *cough* sorry.).

Yes, Kripke has every right to pursue what is his vision for the show. But by hearing what fans have to say it can get changed for the better. For instance I know that for a time there was talk that JDM would not be back in Season 2 because of scheduling conflicts but because there was so much fan clamor for his return they shoehorned him into the Season 2 finale.

Comment

Originally posted by Welling_is_pretty

I think some of us were until we heard that the network basically foisted these 2 chicks on Kripke.

I agree. But you also don't want it to end up like Smallville where many, many fans have been calling for things to change for a long time and are growing more and more dissatisified with the show as AlandMiles stick to their plan (and don't ohIdontknow stop with the Clana already! *cough* sorry.).

Yes, Kripke has every right to pursue what is his vision for the show. But by hearing what fans have to say it can get changed for the better. For instance I know that for a time there was talk that JDM would not be back in Season 2 because of scheduling conflicts but because there was so much fan clamor for his return they shoehorned him into the Season 2 finale.
                                Did the network foist these characters on Kripke?? I have looked everywhere I know to look and as far as I can tell that is still just fan speculation. I think it would go a long way towards smoothing things over if the CW or Kripke would just come out and say whose idea it was. This is one reason that Pocast on TVGuide so confused me. Now, I have been going on the assumption that these were Kripkes idea. If this is the CW idea, then I might have to switch sides. I have faith in Kripke, I do not have that kinda faith in the CW. I mean, their idea of quality programming is The Search for the Next Pussycat Doll .

As far as the Clana - ugh! don't get me started. I have to agree with you on that one. And I think that AlMiles is the polar opposite of Kripke, going full steam ahead without any fan consideration. There has to be a happy median.

Oh, and one quick OT question. How did you get those quotes to show up seperately in your response? Just curious.
                                Last edited by chole_fan; 06-28-2007, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎