TV Ratings for Phantom

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that the CW knows that season 7 is the last and that the chances of getting NEW viewers is limited, they are probably focusing on other stuff and allowing Smallvilles "core" to sustain it.

Comment

Originally posted by Smallville's Oracle
      Justice league seemed to be a popular episode.......maybe they can parlay that next year.
      Justice was BAD, a hollow episode.

It felt rushed and without substance. It had one great shot, though (the V shape slow motion walk, ).

That helped the buzz and attract people back in.
      But as they tuned in they also left for the rest of the season.

Originally posted by Kryptonian-Ronin
      I think that the CW knows that season 7 is the last and that the chances of getting NEW viewers is limited, they are probably focusing on other stuff and allowing Smallvilles "core" to sustain it.
      True.
      Last edited by upsidedown; 05-22-2007, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by upsidedown

It felt rushed and without substance. It had one great shot, though (the V shape slow motion walk, ).
        Gotta disagree. I'm a long-time viewer who loved "Justice." It was just a good, fun, action/adventure episode. And, sometimes, that's all it takes.

That helped the buzz and attract people back in.
        But as they tuned in they also left for the rest of the season.

The "buzz" on "Justice" did attract new and old viewers. And a lot of them liked that episode enough to stay for "Labyrinth," and even "Crimson." I spoke to a lot of people at that time who'd stopped watching the show, and they liked the episode enough to decide to start watching SV again.

I think any viewers SV lost after "Justice" can't be blamed on the episode. If anything, viewers left again because the following eps didn't hold to the "promise" (no pun intended) "Justice" offered up.

Comment

Originally posted by upsidedown

Finally, someone who did not like 'Justice', so I am not alone....
          Even 'the walk', I mean c'mon.....the special effect was cheap, and the whole glorification of these superherhoes......I dunno, too much Leni Riefenstahl for my taste.

Comment

Originally posted by InLove_with_Chloe
            Even 'the walk', I mean c'mon.....the special effect was cheap, and the whole glorification of these superherhoes......I dunno, too much Leni Riefenstahl for my taste.

I'm kind of wondering how much crap the actors got from their mates about it.

Comment

Originally posted by InLove_with_Chloe
              Wow! You are right!
              How come I never participated of the KS/SV forum before? Looove it!

Triumph of the Will (LeniRiefenstahl)

Justice / Star Wars (1977)

Comment

Originally posted by Best Episode - 321
                Smallville
                - 4.139 million viewers
                - 2.4/4 HH
                - 1.8/6 A18-49
                - 2.2/7 A18-34

SEASON 6 Final Ratings

Zod......................4.96*
                Sneeze.................4.52*
                Wither..................4.88*
                Arrow...................4.71*
                Reunion...............4.79*
                Fallout.................5.01*
                Rage...................4.46*
                Static...................4.70*
                Subterranean........4.31*
                Hydro..................4.68*
                Justice.................5.26*
                Labyrinth..............5.00*
                Crimson.................4.91*
                Trespass...............4.74*
                Freak....................4.76*
                Promise................4.69*
                Combat................4.07*
                Progeny...............3.98*
                Nemesis..............3.88*
                Noir....................3.59*
                Prototype...........3.43*
                Phantom............4.14*

* - Final

Season 6 Average - 4.52 million
                they gained half a million viewers, they must have advertised or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Dodden
                  With the steadily decreasing ratings, I don't expect anything spectacular.

Hell, it didn't even air in most densely populated part of Canada.
                  In Canada you should be able to catch Smallville on FOX, 10PM ET

Originally posted by boywithbluehanger
                  Yep the ratings suck majorly...that's not news. 4 mill is bad by ANY standards.

But at least now that Smallville has CW backed into a corner it can't be kicked off of the network.
                  A show with such ratings would never last on another network - I guess these types of ratings were common on WB, and I am disappointed with ratings, I think Season 6 was great ! I LOVED IT, the writing, the story line, the acting, Phantom was a GREAT episode, LOVED IT, very disappointed with the rating for Phantom..........Given the path the characters are taking and the story I would think ratings should be no lower than 4.5 and more often 5.0 !

Yes season 7 is renewed and season 8 is planned and I am fairly optimistic there will be a season 8 as well hoping the ratings don't decline below the 4.0. As to special effects, and the show's budget, I would not worry much about that, I do work in video editing and I know there are many shortcuts and tricks you can use without spending a bundle - it might be harder but when you have a creative team you can do miracles on a short budget. A few of my colleagues have made short films that blew me away on so much as a little budget. At this point I don't think people should worry about Season 7 You can have all the explosions and special effects you want, it's the story and how it is told and how you can keep your viewers at the edge of their seat and INTERESTED....

Originally posted by MidgardDragon
                  With that dip into shake 3 mil territory between Combat and Phantom, I think this seasons ratings turned out better than some made them out to be. After all when it was doing great people sang it's praises, and when it was taking a dive people doomed it to obscurity. I think a 4.52 million average is great for a show that's been on the air for 6 years and is airing on a fledgling network that's made some admittedly horrid advertising mistakes.
                  That's what I like to read - couldn't agree more. I am however disappointed in the rating for some specific episode that deserved better but for an average for season 6 it is nothing to be worried about considering a show in its 6 seasons Look at The O.C. on FOX, it started out with double the ratings of Smallville and kept good ratings - The show BARELY made it to 4 seasons and the series was allowed to end - I think people should be thankful Smallville lasted 6 years and can average a 4.5 on its 6, higher than now canceled shows on FOX in their last season
                  Last edited by Rimmer66; 05-24-2007, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodden
                    With the steadily decreasing ratings, I don't expect anything spectacular.

Hell, it didn't even air in most densely populated part of Canada.
                    If you watch on A-Channel, the show was moved to Friday at 8pm (at least in my area the GTA). There was a movie on the Thursday night instead. WHY they'd move the finale to a day later for a dumb movie is very weird!

Comment

Originally posted by Rimmer66
                      1A show with such ratings would never last on another network - I guess these types of ratings were common on WB, and I am disappointed with ratings, I think Season 6 was great ! I LOVED IT, the writing, the story line, the acting, Phantom was a GREAT episode, LOVED IT, very disappointed with the rating for Phantom..........Given the path the characters are taking and the story I would think ratings should be no lower than 4.5 and more often 5.0 !

Me too

Yes season 7 is renewed and season 8 is planned and I am fairly optimistic there will be a season 8 as well hoping the ratings don't decline below the 4.0.

I am however disappointed in the rating for some specific episode that deserved better but for an average for season 6 it is nothing to be worried about considering a show in its 6 seasons
                      Here's some news from Reuters about ratings which confirms what I had been saying since the drop after Justice:

Many of the top shows -- from ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" to Fox's "American Idol" to CBS' "CSI" -- saw their ratings drop in the spring.

Prompted this month by questions from NBC, Nielsen began an investigation into the factors that could have led to the slide. Nielsen's probe is almost complete, but in the meantime the company has discovered several things.

"DVRs appear to be the largest factor in that," said Pat McDonough, Nielsen senior vp planning policy and analysis.

But there are other factors in Nielsen's early findings, among them the difference between an Olympic year (2006) and a non-Olympic year (2007) as well as a higher number of repeat programs this spring than in previous years

It wasn't just SV that took a ratings dive - it was EVERY show on every station. It wasn't a one-time dive but a steady decline. Idiotic assumptions that Clana, Lexana or Clexana over superhero action was the reason for loss of viewers simply isn't the case. If relationships were the cause for viewer loss, SV wouldn't have lasted 3 seasons.

I happen to think that season 6 was the best in years. When American Idol, 24, Ugly Betty, Grey's Anatomy and CSI begin losing viewers in unison, it's more than simply bad plot lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Collins
                        lol.

Promise actually did very well in the ratings and demographic ratings considering there was a 1 month break from it.

And if following eps didn't do as well after Promise, man it could've been the fact that Lexana ACTUALLY got married instead of Lana walking out on Lex.
                        There was no Lexana after Promise, it was all Clana, so Lexana can't be blamed for the ratings there There was definitely a lot of Clana, the kiss in Promise, their touching in Nemesis, Noir with the Clana kiss in the trailer, the almost kiss from Prototype, the kiss in Phantom. And episodes still consistently lost more and more viewers every week after Promise. You can't blame that on the shippy Lexana they were portraying

It was clear that Lana only married Lex our of love for Clark, I remember all the squeeing from Clana fans over it. Now suddenly the low ratings are down to Clana fans not liking Promise?

And sorry, Lexana cannot take the credit for the somewhat decent ratings for the first arc....that honor goes to Green Arrow since he was promoted in trailers and not Lexana.
                        Oh I agree with that, I don't believe that ships are as big a factor as the CW would like to think. But hey at least Wither and Static didn't lose viewers. The audience was staying consistent early on, and with Justice there was the chance of the audience rising. But then the network and the writers decided to let soap opera take over the show instead. The ratings graph makes it clear that Clana did absolutely nothing to help ratings, proving wrong the long-held claim that season 5's early success was all down to Clana, and bringing it back in season 6 would see Promise gain even more viewers than Justice. Instead Smallville actually lost viewers from what it did to the characters in order to force Clana back into the show

I know full well that if ratings had of risen for any episode after Promise, it would be said to be down to Clana. (If Nemesis got good ratings, it would of course solely be down to the Clana from the trailers. Ditto if Noir did well, the Clana kiss from the trailers would be the only reason ratings rose). Shippers can't have it both ways, and blame the nonexistent Lexana for the poorer than expected ratings.
                        Last edited by Naomi; 06-03-2007, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Naomi
                          There was no Lexana after Promise, it was all Clana, so Lexana can't be blamed for the ratings there There was definitely a lot of Clana, the kiss in Promise, their touching in Nemesis, Noir with the Clana kiss in the trailer, the almost kiss from Prototype, the kiss in Phantom. And episodes still consistently lost more and more viewers every week after Promise. You can't blame that on the shippy Lexana they were portraying
                          Clana barely existed in season 6! There were 14 scenes in all of the season combined! And the fact that Lana ended up marrying Lex, living with him, viewers thinking she was pregnant with his spawn......why would casual viewers that like happy Clana in season 5, want to watch all of that angsty crap?

I had the same debate with another poster in the spoiler section a couple of weeks ago. And her argument was that romance doesn't increase ratings. And here what she and what I said.

Originally posted by liana
                          I don't think ANY romance would raise the rating. In fact, I think more Superman mythos would, as it has already done countless times. It usually works like that: superman mythos episodes raise the ratings, romantic drama drops it again. No ship, be it clana, chlark or Lois and Clark will raise ratings. If you just look at ratings in the past, you will see that pattern repeated over and over again.

Romance especially Clana heavy eps did well before in the ratings. Season 3's highest rated ep was Slumber(6.9 million) and it was heavily promoted with Clana skinny dipping in the trailer. Relic (6.7 million) also did very well in the ratings.

I won't argue with you that GUEST super heros do well in the ratings, but it doesn't necessariliy mean all eps with Superman mythos does well. Legacy (4.5 million) with Christopher Reeves didn't do anything special for the ratings.

And Season 1 and 2 which didn't have gimmick super hero guest stars and focused a lot on Clana actually had the highest overall ratings for this show.

These are the average season ratings from season 1 to 6

Season 1 (2001-2002): 6.41 million
                          Season 2 (2002-2003): 7.78 million
                          Season 3 (2003-2004): 5.63 million
                          Season 4 (2004-2005): 5.03 million
                          Season 5 (2005-2006): 5.32 million
                          Season 6 (2006-2007): 4.65 million

That's why Acqua was the episode with highest ratings in season 5. Same happened with Run, and Justice and with the first introduction of Lois Lane, in season 4, to name a few. The Green Arrow Arch, this season, and the promise of Clark going back to his path to being a hero brought a lot of viewers back too, however when the show started to focus again on romantic drama, ratings dropped again.

Actually season 4 with the introduction of Lois Lane didn't do as well as season 5.

And Run did well in the ratings 5.4 but so did Spell 5.5 million.

You made some good points regarding Super hero guest stars increasing the ratings but eps that focused on romance has done well in the past so i don't agree with your opinion there.

I think that the going back and forth and heavy on the angst and no payoff for Clana hurt the ratings.

I also think ratings reflect the overall theme of the season. If audience members are feeling the storylines then they'd make sure they watched the show.

It was clear that Lana only married Lex our of love for Clark, I remember all the squeeing from Clana fans over it. Now suddenly the low ratings are down to Clana fans not liking Promise?

Promise did well in the ratings considering there was a 4 week break before it. It did well in the demos which the networks prize above all else. That's how they make their money.

That said, most online fans read spoilers, so we knew a lot of what was going to happen to the triangle. Casual viewers don't .

So while, online fans may have loved the ep, casual fans might not have liked the direction of Lana actually going through the marriage even though it's to protect Clark. And they were kind of right because Lana stayed with Lex all up until the season finale.

Comment

Originally posted by LegendaryU2K
                            The CW needs to promote thier show more, simple as that. We as fans can only do so much, the cw or whoever is in charge needs to make sure smallville is aired everywhere.
                            I agree! When fall comes around, on all the talk shows you see actors showing up talking about whats coming up on their shows, don't see much from any Smallville cast at that time. They need to get out there and make people aware of the show. Once they see one episode and see the quality, it will then get more viewers.

Also, with the whole "romance" adding ratings... I don't think so. Most of the true hard core Smallville fans are Superman fans. Hero fans, JLA and DC comic fans. We want to see Clark progress with his powers, sticking more to the actual story of Superman rather than this alternate life for him. Come on now, we all know in actuallualty Lana and Clark aren't meant to be. I would like to see more with Lois and Clark.
                            Last edited by Mandini; 06-05-2007, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Best Episode - 321
                              Smallville (season finale)
                              - 4.014 million viewers
                              - 2.3/4 HH
                              - 1.8/6 A18-49
                              - 2.1/7 A18-34

Link to Ratings

SEASON 6 Week to Week

Zod......................4.96*
                              Sneeze.................4.52*
                              Wither..................4.88*
                              Arrow...................4.71*
                              Reunion...............4.79*
                              Fallout.................5.01*
                              Rage...................4.46*
                              Static...................4.70*
                              Subterranean........4.31*
                              Hydro..................4.68*
                              Justice.................5.26*
                              Labyrinth..............5.00*
                              Crimson.................4.91*
                              Trespass...............4.74*
                              Freak....................4.76*
                              Promise................4.69*
                              Combat................4.07*
                              Progeny...............3.98*
                              Nemesis..............3.88*
                              Noir....................3.59*
                              Prototype...........3.43*
                              Phantom............4.01

* - Final
                              Anyone remember when the "CW" emerged in place of the WB and the other channel?

I wonder how much the declining ratings were due to the new network launch and not a real drop off in viewers.

Originally posted by RedPhoenix23
                              Haha! Promise TANKED Smallville!

It's pretty sad when any ep get's lower ratings then Subterranean, considering there was a month wait for the whole ONE episode and then another loooong break. Just goes to show CLANA kills Smallville's ratings yo. Everything was fine and dandy while LEXANA ruled the scene. EAT IT.
                              I think a LOT of the viewers are sick and tired of the whole Clana thing. I know I quit watching from the beginning of season three until season 5 because of it.

I think bringing back Clana is killing the show personally and the earlier episodes with the Green Arrow, M. Manhunter, etc, had people excited again. This Clana "stuff" needs to end if they expect the show to attract those who want to see SUPERMAN in his early years and not some gawd-awful version of Dawson's Creek.
                              Last edited by Ozymandous; 06-13-2007, 04:17 AM.

Comment

^^

i think people could think the opposite of what you state. Clana could equal ratings. I think most people who consider themselves the casual viewer want to see this relationship happen, and on this board, it seems less than half.

Look at the ratings though. The last episode to be in the high 4's was Promise and maybe people saw that since Lex married Lana, the Clana was over and thus leading into some of the smallest numbers watched for Smallville in the following episodes.

Season six was a low rated season possibly because in the beginning, Clark and Lana were not on good terms at all, but there were signs of hope in the middle of the season when he admitted in Crimson he still wanted her and so on.

I expect them to jump back up if they get together next season. People turn into dramas to see relationships happen, and with Lana knowing the secret know, I think it will happen and more viewers will get the satisfaction they have been waiting for since the show premiered.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎