Combat................4.07*
    Progeny...............3.98*
    Nemesis..............3.88*
    Noir....................3.59*
    Prototype...........3.43*
    Phantom............4.01

* - Final
    Haha! Promise TANKED Smallville!

It's pretty sad when any ep get's lower ratings then Subterranean, considering there was a month wait for the whole ONE episode and then another loooong break. Just goes to show CLANA kills Smallville's ratings yo. Everything was fine and dandy while LEXANA ruled the scene. EAT IT.

Comment

Originally posted by Best Episode - 321
      Season 1 - Average - 6.41 million
      Episode 21 - Tempest - 6 million

Season 2 - Average - 7.73 million
      Episode 23 - Exodus - 7.5 million

Season 5 - Average - 5.32 million
      Episode 22 - Vessel - 4.9 million

http://www.kryptonsite.com/forums/sh...64#post3020164
      Thank you.

Comment

Justice league seemed to be a popular episode.......maybe they can parlay that next year.

Comment

I think a string of bad episodes are the reason for the subpar ratings in the finale. The last few episodes should all lead up to the finale but instead they just forced everything into one episode.

One of Smallville's problems is that you have two types of episodes:
          You have episodes that follow the overall story of the season. And you have filler episodes that you can miss and not skip a beat.

The filler episodes hurt the series because there's no reason to watch them. Every episode should end with a cliff hanger that leaves you waiting for the next episode.

When you look at the successful shows on TV like 24 and Lost, they always leave you wanting more when the show ends. Most of the time Smallville just wraps up whatever weak plot they had going on and calls it a day.

They need to go out with a bang in season 7.

Comment

Originally posted by MidgardDragon
            With that dip into shake 3 mil territory between Combat and Phantom, I think this seasons ratings turned out better than some made them out to be. After all when it was doing great people sang it's praises, and when it was taking a dive people doomed it to obscurity. I think a 4.52 million average is great for a show that's been on the air for 6 years and is airing on a fledgling network that's made some admittedly horrid advertising mistakes.
            4.52 is bad by ANY standards even the ones that you mention:

1. A show that's been on for 6 years
            2. A show that's on a network that does a VERY poor job executing marketing schemes.

(both points I entirely agree with btw)

I mean I understand that it's better to be positive about these things but anyone can say that any show's ratings are decent for the circumstances in which the show faces.

I think that Smallville is just lucky that most of the CW's other shows do close to 1 mil worse than they do. However if you believe that Smallville should be judged the way a cable/satellite network show is; than yes, SV does primarilly fair.

Comment

Originally posted by boywithbluehanger

1. A show that's been on for 6 years
              2. A show that's on a network that does a VERY poor job executing marketing schemes.

(both points I entirely agree with btw)

I mean I understand that it's better to be positive about these things but anyone can say that any show's ratings are decent for the circumstances in which the show faces.

I think that Smallville is just lucky that most of the CW's other shows do close to 1 mil worse than they do. However if you believe that Smallville should be judged the way a cable/satellite network show is; than yes, SV does primarilly fair.
              I disagree, how many television shows can say they maintain the same ratings they did in their 1st and 2nd season in their 5th or 6th season? A handful maybe?

I'm not surprised that ratings have gone down each season. It's natural. I'm just surprised at how low some of the ratings were for some of the episodes. Season 6 was too inconsistent for my tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael122
                I disagree, how many television shows can say they maintain the same ratings they did in their 1st and 2nd season in their 5th or 6th season? A handful maybe?
                Yeah about a handful. That doesn't mean that the ratings for SV still don't suck ass. Yes the truthful excuses that are behind the crappy ratings do factor in but theres no reason to ever think that ANYWHERE in the 4 mil range of viewers is a good or decent thing for any local network primetime show.

We know or have theories why the ratings are poor, you named a reason and Midgard Dragon named a couple as well.

Luckily for us all Smallville will get another season to hopefully use for a series finale. (assuming you want SV to return)

Comment

I think that one way to keep the ratings steady is to make the audience want more after the episode ends. In simple terms: episodic cliffhangers, like the one we had for the finale. Most successful shows like 24, Heroes and Lost do it all the time. It doesn't have to be something huge, but at least something exciting that will make you ask the question: what's gonna happen next?

Comment

Originally posted by RedPhoenix23
                    Haha! Promise TANKED Smallville!

It's pretty sad when any ep get's lower ratings then Subterranean, considering there was a month wait for the whole ONE episode and then another loooong break. Just goes to show CLANA kills Smallville's ratings yo. Everything was fine and dandy while LEXANA ruled the scene. EAT IT.
                    lol.

Promise actually did very well in the ratings and demographic ratings considering there was a 1 month break from it.

And if following eps didn't do as well after Promise, man it could've been the fact that Lexana ACTUALLY got married instead of Lana walking out on Lex.

People might like Clana when their together and NOT when Lana is married to Lex like Promise ended up being.

A strong hint of that was Al Gough kept repeating in his interviews that yeah, Lexana get married but in the next couple of eps the triangle will totally be turned upside down!! And even in the ep description for Phantom it said clearly that Lana leaves Lex.

It's like TPTB had to tell people in advance that Lexana will be over soon.

And sorry, Lexana cannot take the credit for the somewhat decent ratings for the first arc....that honor goes to Green Arrow since he was promoted in trailers and not Lexana.
                    Last edited by Kid Collins; 05-20-2007, 01:36 PM.

Comment

No, not really. Let's also add:

TV ratings have been down all around this year. And we've got a sure fire way to dip into the 4 mils. Trust me, worry when it stays in the 3 mil average. If you're worrying about 4 mil on the CW then you're worrying for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by MidgardDragon
                        If you're worrying about 4 mil on the CW then you're worrying for nothing.
                        Nah I don't worry about ratings unless I find it's vital to a show's future (unlike the case with SV). No reason to worry about it on the CW. But of course thats the problem, the CW gets poor viewership ratings all around. Even with their top rated shows.

So while the 4 mil range doesn't put many of our CW shows at risk for returning, it's still very low. In the scheme of things it doesn't matter for many of us who generally only care about Smallville. Although it does at the same time make pretty much every show expendable.

4 million viewers is only widely accepted in a fairly positive manner when the show being rated is on a non-major network show. Which I think is pretty much making your point

I guess the CW isnt looked at as a major network seeing how it's not viewed in nearly as many places as the four major networks. In that light 4 mil is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Best Episode - 321
                          Season 1 - Average - 6.41 million
                          Episode 21 - Tempest - 6 million

Season 2 - Average - 7.73 million
                          Episode 23 - Exodus - 7.5 million

Season 5 - Average - 5.32 million
                          Episode 22 - Vessel - 4.9 million

http://www.kryptonsite.com/forums/sh...64#post3020164
                          One thing is it seems not to many people are taking into consideration is before this season the show was being shown on the WB which had a lot more stations which allowed fans and other people to view the show.

The CW does not fall into even the WB's league when it comes to the amount of station's that are affiliated with it. Plus the lack of advertisement for this network is little to none existent whereas the WB placed ad's on busses billboards, tv (on more then there own network, plus magazine (like E, People and others). The only CW ad's that I have seen for it was only on the CW network stations nowhere else.

My 2cents,

Jack
                          Last edited by jack1487; 05-20-2007, 07:27 PM.

Comment

In theater, there is something called denouement, which is "the final outcome of the main dramatic complication in a literary work."

This is Smallville's weakness. Denouement comes after the climax of a dramatic plot, when all the air is let out of the play. After denouement, the audience leaves.

If Smallville wanted to keep its audience week to week, it would be wise to avoid denouement every week. Those meetings in the barn loft are dreadful. They drag. Wouldn't it be better if every show left you on the edge of your seat and kept you coming back for more?

Heroes does that, and several Smallville veterans are on staff there. TBTB should fix this problem with dramatic structure.

Comment

I just have to point out that you can't judge the CW's ratings by those of other networks.

On the CW, anything over 3 million viewers is considered pretty good. Not great but good. And, thing is, 3 million viewers was considered good by the WB too. True, the WB had a lot of dramas that did much better than that. But 3 million viewers was enough for a show to survive, and be considered successful, by the WB (and UPN).

Over 4 million viewers for the CW is considered really good. Any show that managed to average above 4 million viewers a season would be considered a bonafide success by the netlet.

Over 5 million viewers is awesome, which is why the CW loves America's Next Top Model so much.

So, in the grand scheme of things over at the CW, a show getting over 4 million viewers is nothing to sneeze at.

As far as SV goes, it isn't the numbers themselves that are the problem. It's the apparant trend they represent. In the second half of the season, SV lost a large chunk of it's audience. The question is why?

Many people point to the fact that television shows as a whole lost viewers this spring. Which is true. But, considering the general sense of fan dissatisfaction that seems to be floating around lately, I don't think it can be argued that the shows quality these last few months also played a part.
                              Last edited by Dannyblue1; 05-21-2007, 12:42 PM.

Comment

CW: If you want higher ratings, please, please, please. MORE ACTION AND LESS LANA!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎