Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Naomi
    After the romantic moment in Nemesis??? Even as a non Clana fan I will admit that was beautifully filmed and acted, and one of their best moments ever. So umm why would Clana fans be pissed? They are bringing back the Clana after all. I thought that Clana fans were pissed after Vessel's "I can't believe I ever loved you" and boycotted at that point? I certainly saw a lot of Clana fans loudly talking of early season 6's rating being so awful because of the cold Clana, how millions of Clana fans weren't watching, and making promises of what bringing Clana back would do for ratings.

The time for Lexana was actually earlier in the season with episodes like Wither and Static. Particularly Wither which ended with Lexana sex. Lana was more on Lex's side back in those days, and barely interacted with Clark. But ratings obviously held steady after Wither. Lana is a Luthor in name only since Promise, so it's a real stretch to blame Lexana for the current ratings.

Promise was what saw the series going in a radically different direction. Lana cheating on Lex, only being with him to protect Clark. And Noir was promoted with Clana kissing in the trailers I'm afraid. The episode before Noir even had a romantic Clana moment (one that was pushed in trailers), to add to the Clana build-up.

Promise saw a huge drop of about 70 thousand viewers, easily the biggest of the season. And ratings have never picked up since. If you look at the overall ratings, that's when the pattern seemed to go drastically down. Ratings didn't go down particularly after Justice, Labyrinth and Crimson did fine for the season average

Zod......................4.96*
    Sneeze.................4.52*
    Wither..................4.88*
    Arrow...................4.71*
    Reunion...............4.79*
    Fallout.................5.01*
    Rage...................4.46*
    Static...................4.70*
    Subterranean........4.31*
    Hydro..................4.68*
    Justice.................5.26*
    Labyrinth..............5.00*
    Crimson.................4.91*
    Trespass...............4.74*
    Freak....................4.76*
    Promise................4.69*
    Combat................4.07*
    Progeny...............3.98*
    Nemesis..............3.88*
    Noir....................3.55
    Combat also saw the first of the pre-emptions.

edited out
    Last edited by Mysticlies; 05-06-2007, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidgardDragon
      Combat also saw the first of the pre-emptions. Feel free to go on blaming Promise for all of Smallville's woes. It won't get you anywhere but to whiny-town.
      Well and feel free to insult me as your oppsing argument lol. I am simply discussing the fact of ratings dipping, no reason to get defensive. But I'm glad that you do now agree with me that ratings dropped after Promise anyway

Oh and Combat and Progeny were premepted in major cities. Nemesis and Noir were not, so there must be more to the poor ratings than that surely?

Originally posted by Timester
      And about Promise, how dare now the Clana fans now saying that it's all Lexana's fault when they actually were happy with Promise because of Clana in the first place?...
      Oh you know that if ratings rose for Noir or Promise, it would be because of the Clana in the trailers. And when it's not it's because of the Lexana. Well okay then Never mind that there hasn't even been any Lexana since Promise!

I do find it funny after the huge insistence on how terrible the ratings of early season 6 were, and how bringing back Clana would fix things. Well there's been a steady build-up to Clana for a while now (since Hydro maybe, definitely since Promise), and it has not helped ratings at all. Superman focused episodes like Justice are the ones really doing well. Too bad the CW still refuse to see that.
      Last edited by Naomi; 05-05-2007, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Naomi
        Well and feel free to insult me as your oppsing argument lol. I am simply discussing the fact of ratings dipping, no reason to get defensive. But I'm glad that you do now agree with me that ratings dropped after Promise anyway

Oh and Combat and Progeny were premepted in major cities. Nemesis and Noir were not, so there must be more to the poor ratings than that surely?
        Okay, let's say the ratings dropped because of Promise. Some people blame the Clana in there but it could also have been because Lana ended up marrying Lex. Marriage has a finality to it that some viewers probably didn't like.

Just like the ratings never recovered after Reckoning when Lana was suppose to learn Clark's secret and the viewers were once again blindsided when AlMiles reset the whole secret reveal.

You have to remember most viewers don't read spoilers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Collins
          Okay, let's say the ratings dropped because of Promise. Some people blame the Clana in there but it could also have been because Lana ended up marrying Lex. Marriage has a finality to it that some viewers probably didn't like.

Just like the ratings never recovered after Reckoning when Lana was suppose to learn Clark's secret and the viewers were once again blindsided when AlMiles reset the whole secret reveal.

You have to remember most viewers don't read spoilers.
          The funny thing is I have yet to see someone complaining about Clana and the ratings. And remember, the Clana fans were the ones that praised that Clana was back, that the ratings would go up after Promise.

Comment

But it wasn't final. Clana fans were so excited after Promise because of the hope that it gave Clana, I saw Clana fans on this very board protesting at the perception that everyone hated Promise. Wither was the episode which seemed to be heavily pushing Lexana as the couple of the future as Lana dresses with Lex at the party, and then sleeps with him. Not to mention the baby and engagement after Static and Subterrean. Isn't that more final than Lana being blackmailed into marriage, and carrying Lex's fake baby?

Ratings did not drop because of Reckonning. Like Justice for this season, Reckonning simply received abnormally large numbers, the seasonal average didn't drop direcetly after that episode though

And was it promoted as Lana learning the secret? I remember the number of trailers and hype about a major character dying, and plus it was the 100th episode, so it received extra coverage. But the focus was always on which character won't make it. Something that they started building up to early with the fake-out death of the sherrif

And besides Cyborg still got 6.2 viewers. The real drop seemed to be after the hiatus. From Hypnotic onwards ratings were pretty dire, and I wonder if that's to do with A&M getting their new season after all, and starting to stall. But who knows. Season 5 ratings suggest that it was doing fine until the hiatus drop with Hypnotic though anyway. Vengeance still got 5.4 which is respectable enough

Episode 1 (9/29/05) - Viewers: 5.9 million
            Episode 2 (10/06/05) - Viewers: 5.8 million
            Episode 3 (10/13/05) - Viewers: 5.9 million
            Episode 4 (10/20/05) - Viewers: 6.4 million
            Episode 5 (10/27/05) - Viewers: 5.8 million
            Episode 6 (11/03/05) - Viewers: 5.4 million
            Episode 7 (11/10/05) - Viewers: 5.5 million
            Episode 8 (11/17/05) - Viewers: 6.0 million
            Episode 9 (12/08/05) - Viewers: 5.4 million
            Episode 10 (1/12/06) - Viewers: 5.5 million
            Episode 11 (1/19/06) - Viewers: 4.9 million
            Episode 12 (1/26/06) - Viewers: 6.3 million
            Episode 13 (2/02/06) - Viewers: 5.4 million
            Episode 14 (2/09/06) - Viewers: 5.4 million
            Episode 15 (2/16/06) - Viewers: 6.2 million
            Episode 16 (3/30/06) - Viewers: 4.8 million
            Episode 17 (4/06/06) - Viewers: 4.2 million
            Episode 18 (4/13/06) - Viewers: 3.9 million
            Episode 19 (4/20/06) - Viewers: 4.4 million
            Episode 20 (4/27/06) - Viewers: 4.3 million
            Episode 21 (5/04/06) - Viewers: 4.8 million
            Episode 22 (5/11/06) - Viewers: 4.9 million
            Last edited by Naomi; 05-05-2007, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Timester
              The funny thing is I have yet to see someone complaining about Clana and the ratings. And remember, the Clana fans were the ones that praised that Clana was back, that the ratings would go up after Promise.
              Well I wasn't one of those people.

I think the ratings reflect the overall storyline for the season so far.

And I honestly believe that people watch the season premier to get a preview of what this show is offering for the rest of the season. The ratings for season premier usually set the bar for how the rest of the season will fare.

Only speaking for myself, but as a casual viewer for other shows like Bones, I usually go by what I see in the trailer if I'll watch an ep or not. If I like the trailer, I'll make sure to watch.

I think WB did a much better job in creating trailers that got people excited to watch the next ep. CW's trailer imho, sucks.

Comment

Well I wasn't one of those people.

I think the ratings reflect the overall storyline for the season so far.

And I honestly believe that people watch the season premier to get a preview of what this show is offering for the rest of the season. The ratings for season premier usually set the bar for how the rest of the season will fare.
                You know that I agree. It's sad that, as always, the good stuff is always secondary to the soap opera in Smallville. Last year was Milton Fine, this year is the 33.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosrudorfer
                  Why? He is right, it's been 6 seasons and Smallville's Clark is still a wussy who can't seem to hold onto a single girl. Personally for me its REALLY hard to see him turning into or as Superman.
                  Yes, you're right. Nothing has changed. JK hasn't died. Lana and Lex haven't been married. Lex and Clark arn't enemies. Lana and Chloe don't know Clark's secret. Lex isn't bad. Clark hasn't vowed to accept his destiny. Silly me, I just imagined it all!:l
                  Last edited by ClarkyBoy14; 05-05-2007, 05:23 PM.

Comment

If only they could have kept GA around, and build off the success of Justice. The episodes where they introduce DC characters are their most successful, not soap opera Clexana

Comment

Originally posted by ClarkyBoy14
                      Yes, you're right. Nothing has changed. JK hasn't died. Lana and Lex haven't been married. Lex and Clark arn't enemies. Lana and Chloe don't know Clark's secret. Lex isn't bad. Clark hasn't vowed to accept his destiny. Silly me, I just imagined it all!:l
                      Huge difference. He is talking about character, you are talking about events.

Comment

that is so upsetting that noir had the lowest ratings by far. noir which really was a great episode, not seen by so many people will not help momentum.
                        We will continue to lose viewers to ugly betty, i hope we are still profitable to the CW channel. this is sad news for me hoping for many more seasons of smallville.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyolsenblues
                          that is so upsetting that noir had the lowest ratings by far. noir which really was a great episode, not seen by so many people will not help momentum.
                          We will continue to lose viewers to ugly betty, i hope we are still profitable to the CW channel. this is sad news for me hoping for many more seasons of smallville.
                          The soap opera is to blame. AlMiles dug the hole so deep that when they dare to do something different, they lose the soap opera viewers. It's a no-win situation. And I do believe that the success of Heroes forced AlMiles to admit to themselves that maybe they went the wrong way a couple of seasons ago.

Comment

I agree Timester. They chased away everybody else and found that segment smaller than anticipated and more fickle.

I have to laugh and laugh. Heroes doesn't have a "Lana" or KK and man, it's totally whipping SV's ass. You don't need either to make a series magical.

Comment

In which season is Heroes and in which is Smallville?I despise Al/Miles for some things but I find it unfair to compare Heroes with Smallville.Let's see how succesful Heroes is in its 6th season if they even get that far.

Comment

People - people .... the show jumped the shark .... and never recovered. You lost the true Superman fans when it became apparently the current PTB couldn't care less about the mythos or the character. Whatever it is they have been trying to do it's been lost on at least half of the original viewership. There is nothing about the show that compels you to watch. Heroes does - it's about hope. It's about a noble cause. It's about good and evil. The characters aren't constantly struggling to be one or the other. The PTB have never given this Clark that sense of providing hope or standing for the noble cause and it's a shame. They like to honor the past actors in the show - but they don't care to honor it's base history. That's why the viewership has fallen.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎