Ratings for Nemesis

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if it hurt too much, but the Columbus, Ohio affiliate kept running weather warnings every few minutes and people may have gotten fed up and just turned it off. I know I did.

Also, SV has become much more serialized w/ the second half of the season, and serialization isn't very popular because it's hard for casual viewers to get into it.

Another factor could be FOX. At the start of the season they were getting around 5 million viewers at 8. Now it's nearly doubled.

And is that a series low?

Comment

The only good thing I can think of from these horrible ratings is that it may stop the producers and CW from extending the show to an 8th season. Stop after season 7 and end it on a high note. It is still a good show but not good enough to continue for 8 seasons.

Comment

Wow, I'm sad the ratings were so bad. This was a strong episode, better than last week's (not that Progeny was awful). However, part of its joy is that it's an ep for the series' fans with alot of continuity, buildup and subtle relationship changes. This second half has certainly been more inbred than the first half which some diehard fans were calling non-SV. Green Arrow, Lois, and colorful Zoners are pretty easy on new/casual viewers.

But what do I know? It could just be exams time, the nice weather, longer daylight hours etc all as named by above posts.

I'm just hoping it doesn't mean S8 is completely impossible. I like toying with the idea of a S8; it's another chance to explore deeper comic lore and imagine further progression than I ever before expected from a preSuperman show. I'm not saying S8 is the marketable, winning thing; just that I'd like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosrudorfer
          Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! So I guess the preemptions didn't have such that big effect like everyone was claming. Thus I still personally feel that Promise (that Lana married Lex) and the two long breaks are responsible for the big dip effect of (620,000) viewers.

Again I have to point out that it has been weeks since Promise. Promise would not be pulling away viewers still even if it originally did. If we're going to look to previous episodes for ratings declines then I supposed you'd have to look at Progeny for this week's decline, despite it being a good episode.

You are probably quite right, however, with the hiatuses being responsible for much of the ratings dips. I also believe that one could easily have tuned in at 8 PM in one of the pre-empted markets during Progeny, saw that Smallville wasn't on, and assume it was on hiatus again and/or just given up considering how impossible it has been to find the show on if you don't look it up online.

Comment

Originally posted by MidgardDragon

Again I have to point out that it has been weeks since Promise. Promise would not be pulling away viewers still even if it originally did.
            Of course "Promise" could still be affecting ratings. If many of the people who were turned off by that episode (and there were a lot) just outright decided to stop watching SV all together, then they would account for some of the viewers who haven't tuned in to see "Combat," or "Progeny," or "Nemesis."

Comment

Just read through all the comments and one thing stands out most clearly: scheduling. As a die-hard SV fan, I am really disappointed with the mini-breaks. I'll find the show again, but what about those who are not so committed. I think they'll give up and wait for the DVD's. Second, not enough has been said about the CW network. It's new; it's not seen everywhere--my cable company lost the channel for several months before it picked up a new feed.

The problem is not the writing--which has been great this season. Promotion, a new network, and scheduling all have combined to bring down ratings. But like someone said above, it's the best show CW has so don't worry. It will be back, fortunately for all of us. In all seriousness, isn't this the best take on the Superman mythos ever? I'm grateful it's lasted this long. Hope it has a few more years.

Comment

Originally posted by monel49
                The problem is not the writing--which has been great this season.
                I have to disagree. Season 6 has been marginally better than seasons 4 and 5, but that isn't saying a whole lot. There have been some episodes I really enjoyed ("Hydro," "Justice," etc.). But most of the eps, in my opinion, have been so-so, enjoyable but nothing special. And some have just been downright bad.

But like someone said above, it's the best show CW has so don't worry.
                SV is not the highest rated show on the CW. It's also not the best in terms of quality. (In my opinion, of course.)

I have no doubt SV will have a season 7. But I'd hope fans would want more from the show than "It will be back, no matter what."

Also, as someone above pointed out, there's more at stake than whether or not SV will be renewed. We're all pretty confident it will be. But the ratings will determine the show's budget. Lower ratings means less money, which means fewer effects. A lower budget will also limit the PTB's ability to get "name" guest stars.

Comment

What do you mean you highly doubt it will be a season 7?

I'm pretty sure thats already planned, if not, i think the season finale episode would of been completely different. I think the makers of smallville know what they are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by LegendaryU2K
                    What do you mean you highly doubt it will be a season 7?

I'm pretty sure thats already planned, if not, i think the season finale episode would of been completely different. I think the makers of smallville know what they are doing.
                    Actually, I said I have no doubt there will be a season 7. But while the show doesn't have to worry about ratings when it comes to being renewed for a season 7, they do have to worry about ratings when it comes to what their budget in season 7 will be.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎