• Show
Clear All

How depressing. This was a great episode

Comment

WOW. :|

Comment

Originally posted by BadToad
        How depressing. This was a great episode
        It may be too soon to know why the ratings were so low.

Comment

Yep, let's wait and see if anything happened we are unaware of before assuming that Smallville is dying and/or it's because Promise supposedly sucked.

(BTW, if previous episodes effect ratings quite as much as people are implying Promise did, then Progeny sucked too, not that I think it did.)

Comment

Originally posted by JEWCY
            when the weather is nice, people do not want to waste their time in front of the tv

instead the problem could be DVR

DVR takes about 15% of the audience away and it does not count towards the ratings. so if Smallvill got 4 million viewers,in season 3 or so it would of gotten close

[....]

Im going to hold there is a boatload of other shows to watch and people are DVR'ing Smallville
            I don't think that it can be blamed on the DVR. Ratings come from people who have Nielson boxes in their homes. If they are a Neilson family, the box records what they actually watch on live TV... and, from what I've understood, these families don't have DVRs. That would completely ruin the data figures. Plus, even they have a DVR in one room or something, it wouldn't only figure in when it comes to this episode. It would have skewed the results for every episode, so the figures are adjusted to make room for that margin of error.

I do think that the weather getting better might play a part. Plus, there is still daylight leading up to 8:00 pm (or 7:00 pm) in a lot of places, so people aren't watching TV as much. But... overall... I think it may just stem from the fact that "SV" has had a lot of sub-par episodes. I'm not pin-pointing one or the other. I'm just saying that there's been a bit a trend where the plot doesn't seem be advancing and most of the characters aren't evolving. And I can see a sporadic viewer of the show get bored and stop watching it. That happens to me with shows all the time. I get bored and think it's not going anywhere, so I stop watching.

Comment

....hope it changes on the FINALE

Comment

Originally posted by eas
                But... overall... I think it may just stem from the fact that "SV" has had a lot of sub-par episodes.
                That may have been true pre-Hydro but most seem to agree that post-Hydro the "sub-par" episodes have been few and far between, if any. Unless people tuned out pre-Hydro and didn't give the show a second look, then that argument doesn't really hold water.

We've had quality episodes and advancing plot for a long while now, I don't think you can blame sub-par episodes for the current decline in ratings. It seems people are saying ratings are down everywhere, which indicates a trend in people turning off the TV rather than a trend in bad episodes of their favorite shows.

Comment

Originally posted by MidgardDragon
                  That may have been true pre-Hydro but most seem to agree that post-Hydro the "sub-par" episodes have been few and far between, if any. Unless people tuned out pre-Hydro and didn't give the show a second look, then that argument doesn't really hold water.
                  I don't happen to agree with you there. I think a lot of fans consider many of the episodes since "Hydro" (well, "Justice," which I loved) so-so.

Comment

People have to remember this is exam time. A lot of kids have to study, and when that's a major demographic, it's gonna cut into your ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by MidgardDragon

We've had quality episodes and advancing plot for a long while now, I don't think you can blame sub-par episodes for the current decline in ratings. It seems people are saying ratings are down everywhere, which indicates a trend in people turning off the TV rather than a trend in bad episodes of their favorite shows.
                      I disagree that "most seem to agree" that the episodes post-"Hydro" have been good. A lot of people on a lot boards seem to be frustrated with the direction of the show in a lot of ways. The "Chloe is a meteor-freak" plot has made a lot of Chloe fans unhappy. The "Lexana-pregnancy-wedding" has made a lot of Clana fans unhappy. The "Clark is not very smart and not progressing" plot has made Superman/comic fans unhappy. Lex fans are not thrilled by his obsession with Lana. Lois fans are not thrilled that she's not in every episode (plus Clois fans are not happy with the lack of Clois post-"Crimson" and the return of Clana). Chlark fans are unhappy with the complete lack of Chlark and the whole Chimmy arc.

So, add up all these plot points and what do you get? A lot of unhappy fans. However, I would say that biggest factor has been the lack of growth on Clark's part. They really did a "two steps forward, three steps back" number on him this year. The Fall season seemed to show him progressing and learning things through his relationship with Oliver. Once Oliver left, however, Clark reverted back to his typical ways. He's had moments of greatness here and there... but for the most part, he's been season 4 & 5 Clark Kent all over again. And, for the casual viewer, they don't have enough loyalty and love for the show to continue watching it when it's got a "been there, done that" feeling to it.

It's kind of like season 3-- the ratings dipped in season 3 quite a bit, because SV was in a competative time slot (it was up against "The OC" when that show as at it's highest point of popularity) and they couldn't hold on to an audience that felt that the show wasn't going anywhere and recycling old plots. In fact, I didn't watch that season, either, and preferred to wait until the summer to watch re-runs. (There are still episodes of season 3 I haven't fully seen & I'm a die-hard Superman fan.)

Originally posted by Dee
                      People have to remember this is exam time. A lot of kids have to study, and when that's a major demographic, it's gonna cut into your ratings.
                      Yes, I think you're right. That probably is a factor as to why (overall) a lot of the shows are hurting for ratings. "Ugly Betty" went down this week, too, and it's probably because a younger demographic watches that show, as well.

Comment

Where can you find these ratings?

Comment

Originally posted by Balauru
                          i go to zap2it.com and click on tv, then ratings, scroll down a little and they have the days with the description on a seperate page

Comment

Originally posted by Balauru
                            Here is the link for you - program ratings

Comment

Ratings become and issue when they charge sponsors for the next seasons advertising and such, it effects the budget ( yes the budget, that dreaded excuse for all that is wrong on Smallville).

If the downward trend continues, it is not good.

But the overall average is what they will highlight, that and the sweeps period, so, if those come in good shape, things will be ok.

Comment

There were tornado warnings interrupting more than half the show in a large portion of the U.S. last night. Don't know if that had any effect, though, sinse last week the ratings were low also.

I watched some of Supernatural last night, and noticed it was only interupted with warnings a couple of times whereas Smallivlle was constantly interrupted.

Supernatural is a really scarey,creepy show. I had creepy nightmares after watching it.

Noir with Clark as a reporter wearing glasses looks great. Unfortunately I doubt it will cause a ratings increase. I hope there's still a 7th season.
                                Last edited by curiosity; 04-27-2007, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎