Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, so why did Chloe's mother go into a catatonic state in the first place?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, so why did Chloe's mother go into a catatonic state in the first place?

Did I miss something, or was it never explained why Chloe's mother went into a catatonic state in the first place?

She just said she left so she wouldn't hurt Chloe. How does leaving on your own free will = catatonic state where you need a special drug developed by Lex Luthor to stay coherent?

Lex said something about that i think he said: "Thanks to your amazing ability" im not sure, need to watch it again to be sure.

Comment

Using her powers force her into catatonia.

Comment

im positive lex mentioned it, but i cant recall exactly what he said. hmm sorry

Comment

Probably a combination of her power and the mental illness that runs in their family.

Comment

Maybe once she got to the crazy house the guilt over what she had done and the power that her ability gave her over other people made her mind crack?

It would have made more sense that she was drugged to keep her IN a catatonic state, not get her out of one.

Comment

Originally posted by MidgardDragon
              Probably a combination of her power and the mental illness that runs in their family.
              I thought there was no mental illness to begin with...?!?
              Thanks to the most recent plothole bonanza, we have no reason to believe that Moira's powers caused her catatonic state. That, speculation, IMO.
              I would like to believe Moira took drugs causing the catatony VOLUNTARILY, so she would not be tempted anymore to control Chloe, therefore protecting her.... The flasback scene seems to support such a theory, IMO. She seems to surrender to the two guys voluntarily, she even seems to have organized everything.

Comment

Originally posted by InLove_with_Chloe
                Thanks to the most recent plothole bonanza, we have no reason to believe that Moira's powers caused her catatonic state. That, speculation, IMO.
                I would like to believe Moira took drugs causing the catatony VOLUNTARILY, so she would not be tempted anymore to control Chloe, therefore protecting her.... The flasback scene seems to support such a theory, IMO. She seems to surrender to the two guys voluntarily, she even seems to have organized everything.
                I went and relisten to the episode and at one point lex states "thanks to your power which put you in catatonic stats" doesn't that sound like it was because of her ability that is caused her to go into it..
                I am so confused???

Comment

Originally posted by kkjdt
                  I went and relisten to the episode and at one point lex states "thanks to your power which put you in catatonic stats" doesn't that sound like it was because of her ability that is caused her to go into it..
                  I am so confused???
                  Interesting...... Either way it still works out. But you're probably right that her power causes the catatony. I missed that quote, thanks.

Comment

I would say because the mental illness settled in after she left Chloe due to her fear of hurting her again. They didn't promote it like that.

Comment

Originally posted by SupeK
                      Maybe once she got to the crazy house the guilt over what she had done and the power that her ability gave her over other people made her mind crack?

It would have made more sense that she was drugged to keep her IN a catatonic state, not get her out of one.
                      That's exactly what I was thinking while watching the episode. It would make more sense for Chloe to later discover that Lex was keeping her mother drugged and that's what's causing it.

She was using her powers on Chloe when she was little, and they never said it caused her to go into a catatonic state. When she left on her own free will she was awake.

Comment

I am torn between the malpractice explanation and the Lex friendly "meteor powers are unstable" theory.

Malpractice - she was givin the wrong drug and boom catatonia for as long as the ssi held out.

Lex Friendly - Sometimes meteor powers are not as nifty as they sound - in this case the acclimatization process resulted in a decade long period of catatonia....

If thats the case - some of Lex's research may actually serve to help some of those "infected" by the Kryptonite.

Comment

I was waiting for them to explain this as well.
                          I'm still waiting....

Comment

Originally posted by InLove_with_Chloe
                            There was nothing in the episode to indicate that Chloe's previous research into her family's mental illnesses was retconned. The episode did explain that her Mom was put in the mental institute of her own free will to protect Chloe but think about it, she could have easily used her family's history of mental illness to help get them to admit her. The mental illness WAS NOT fake based on anything in the episode. Try again please.

Here's a simple timeline to explain things:

The Past: The female members of Chloe's family often suffer from some mental illness that is never specified on the show.

Chloe and her Mom gain meteor powers (Chloe's remains dormant) at some point by either driving through or staying in Smallville during/after the first meteor shower.

Chloe's Mom discovers she can control Chloe.

Chloe's Mom puts herself into a mental institution to protect Chloe, this is appropriate due to the family trend of mental illness.

At some point after going into the institution the true mental illness kicks in, possibly onset by her meteor powers, she goes catatonic.

Many years later: Chloe discovers that the females in her family suffer from an unspecified mental illness and her Mom is in the institution. She visits her mother and she is basically brain-dead but seems to have retained motor-functions since she is standing looking out the window. At some point before Progeny she is completely catatonic again.

Lex Luthor discovers Chloe and her Mother have meteor powers and develops a drug that will bring Moira out of her catatonic state (but which only lasts 24 hours.)

Moira contacts Chloe through the series of events in the show, Progeny plays out, etc.

Moira gets away from Lex but decides it would be better for everyone if she became catatonic again (by not taking any more of the drug).

The drug wears off and her illness takes over, again probably onset by her meteor power, and she slips into a catatonic state once again.
                            Last edited by MidgardDragon; 04-22-2007, 10:54 PM.

Comment

But why in Tomb Moira was able to move??

and in this episode she neded the drug

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎