Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music from Progeny...

Talk about the music of the episode here.

I HAVT SEEN S06EP18, THERE'S NO MUSIC , GUYS???

Comment

Originally posted by scofield
      I HAVT SEEN S06EP18, THERE'S NO MUSIC , GUYS???
      Well, no.. not really.

There are sounds that some people might consider music, but I certainly don't. There are sounds cobbled together to set the mood.. except, well.. they make absolutely no sense in the context they are used in.

There are dark, threatening, "something bad is going to happen" bits of "musak" throughout the entire episode.. and in many cases in places, again, that make no sense.

Listen, Smallville Producers, Directors, and the like! You can't _force_ mood with music. *You* *can* *not*. You can't play music during a scene that has two people simply talking, with no danger around them, that sounds like the earth is about to end in a few seconds. You just can't. It's inane.

This seems to have been the status quo for most of this season. It needs to stop. Frankly, this out of sync-with-the-action themed music is so strong that it will eventually cause me to drop Smallville from my watched list.

Again, a few pointers:

1) music can not set the mood. Music can only *aid* in setting the mood. You can not, for example, play happy clown music while a little boy cries because his dog was killed. You are doing the opposite of this, playing horrible, something-bad-is-going-to-happen music when nothing is wrong

2) music should not be so loud, and so all pervasive, that it is in every scene, and it is there almost drowning out the speech of the characters.. ESPECIALLY when they are just sitting down and having a chat.

Have I repeated myself above? Yes, and I think I needed to. Probably didn't get through though. :/

(note: even those the 70's are "in" again, it doesn't mean you have to snort coke while you're adding music to a scene.. that part isn't in again.... )

Smallville's a great show. It has great potential. Sure, the plot is hacky from time to time, but what TV show doesn't have blips?

This music though? I had to actually pause Smallville and take a break, it was so annoying!

Is that what you want?! Is that the reaction you desire?!!!

Comment

bbarnett,

I can see where you're coming from, but most of the time, I think the music is dead-on in "Smallville" and helps in setting the mood. And as a director/editor, I can say that in some cases, music CAN set the mood rather than aid it. For instance, that puppy example you talked about. If the music playing was happy clown music while the kid is crying, that SETS a certain mood (a mood of irony, a mood of black humor, a mood of disregard for the child's woes). If they played sad music, THEN it would aid the mood, but if they played the opposite, it could set the mood for a different sort of feeling.

In my movie I have an entire action sequence/montage with Mozart's Requiem playing (reminiscent of "Smallville" lol). This is setting the mood of an epic, old-fashioned, tragedy film. If I had been playing action music during this time, like a fighting type of music from AFI or something, then the mood I'd be setting would be totally different.

But I understand what you mean about the music sometimes being too over-powering in certain scenes of "Smallville". Perhaps they're doing that as foreshadowing, to show us that while on the outside they're just talking, lurking beneath the surface is something more sinister.

Speaking of music, did anyone notice that Lex was flipping through rock stations and when it landed on the classical station on his radio, he listened to it?

Did anyone else think that was a subtle way of showing Lex becoming more like his father? His tastes have changed; as my sister pointed out, in the earlier seasons he listened to rock. Now, as he becomes like Lionel, maybe his tastes are more like him as well?

By the way, does anyone know the name of that classical music that was playing? I'd like to download it if anyone knows. Thanks .
        Last edited by MozartRequiem; 04-21-2007, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MozartRequiem
          [B]bbarnett,

I can see where you're coming from, but most of the time, I think the music is dead-on in "Smallville" and helps in setting the mood.
          Well, it *used* to help set the mood, yes. Lately though, it makes absolutely no sense. It has nothing to do with the mood. For example, music can play that means "bad things will happen soon", except... nothing bad will happen!!

Sad music will play, when there is nothing sad happening.. and when nothing sad is about to happen!

And as a director/editor, I can say that in some cases, music CAN set the mood rather than aid it.
          If you look very carefully at my original message, you will see that I state you can not FORCE mood.

You can't. Period.

You really should pay attention to what I'm saying, because the first project where you try to FORCE the mood, for absolutely no logical reason, you'll find yourself falling flat on your face. You can only *aid* in setting the mood with music. If the plot does not reflect the music, the music will fall flat on its face.

This is what is happening in Smallville right now. Sometimes, it takes a while for such things to sink in. For example, some TV shows use laugh tracks, and have plots that are moderately funny. However, there are times where such several-season-old shows (for various reasons) cease to be funny. At such times, the laugh track becomes absurd. Often, it make take even up to a year for people who are long time watchers, to realise the show is no longer funny.

The laugh track eventually backfires, because long time watchers eventually "figure it out".

For instance, that puppy example you talked about. If the music playing was happy clown music while the kid is crying, that SETS a certain mood (a mood of irony, a mood of black humor, a mood of disregard for the child's woes). If they played sad music, THEN it would aid the mood, but if they played the opposite, it could set the mood for a different sort of feeling.
          Yes, but there must be a reason for such a mood to be set. You can't force it, for absolutely no reason. You can't, for example, have a scene that sounds like the world is about to end in 12 seconds, but then have nothing "bad" happen, and then have the following scene a "happy" scene!

Why was the previous scene an "end of the world" scene? Simply because someone mentioned Lexx's name? I've seen scenes where Smallville characters are discussing something as serious as a flat tire, but the music sounds like aliens are about to land and rip them all apart!

Holy over the top! It's really, really getting to be annoying!

Comment

"If you look very carefully at my original message, you will see that I state you can not FORCE mood.

You can't. Period.

You really should pay attention to what I'm saying, because the first project where you try to FORCE the mood, for absolutely no logical reason, you'll find yourself falling flat on your face. You can only *aid* in setting the mood with music. If the plot does not reflect the music, the music will fall flat on its face."

I can see what you mean. Like when Lex will be talking to Lana, and the music sounds like Jack Nicholson wielding his axe in "The Shining", when all Lex is saying is, "Get some rest" or something. I see how you can view that as over-the-top and trying to force mood. To me, because Lex is such a terrifying force, it's all psychological. At least that's how I see it. The incredibly loud, impactful music does not suggest something huge is happening, but rather, huge things are happening beneath the surface.

But I do know what you're saying about FORCING mood. In my movie, for instance, there's a scene that's supposed to be frightening, but I wanted it to be epic as well, so I added in this opera music with a beat in the background, and it totally killed the mood from before. So I took the track out. But yeah, that would be a good example of trying to force mood when the music just doesn't work with the shots.

Hey, by the way, do you know where I can buy any of the music tracks from "Smallville" (not songs, but soundtrack). I'd like to use some of the sounds in my movie (the earth-shattering, over-the-top sounds would work for the climax in my movie, and since I'm not profiting from it, it's not illegal to use other music in it).

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎