Television Ratings for Progeny

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPTB have stated they have enough material to go eight seasons. Now with the announcement that Michael Rosenbaum is leaving at the end of the seventh season, we all assume the show is ending too. Is it possible that the producers will try to do that last season w/o Lex Luthor? It might be nice to see the love triangle jettisoned and go with a straight action series for one season.

What have Gough & Millar said about the ending of the series? What has the CW said? What has Warner Brothers said?

Comment

I still think promise is what did everyone in......
      and people lost interest after that episode...
      no matter what ship you wanted... I don't think anyone wanted to see Clark lose lana to his arch enemy and see clark mopping.

Comment

Originally posted by elroyofkrypton
        TPTB have stated they have enough material to go eight seasons.
        I think that was just their way of telling us that the show will be back next year.... I mean, they can't officially say it's renewed before the contracts are signed, so that's what they came up with, IMO. I doubt there will be a S8....

Comment

If they donīt start planning change things soon ....... I donīt think there will be S8 either .....

PLAN B anyone??

Comment

Originally posted by kkjdt
            I still think promise is what did everyone in......
            and people lost interest after that episode...
            no matter what ship you wanted... I don't think anyone wanted to see Clark lose lana to his arch enemy and see clark mopping.
            I agree with you. I also think that the pre emption had an effect but NOT as large as everyone thinks. The long breaks also helped lower the ratings.

Promise Episode + Pre-emption + Long Breaks

Comment

Originally posted by Bosrudorfer
              I agree with you. I also think that the pre emption had an effect but NOT as large as everyone thinks. The long breaks also helped lower the ratings.

Promise Episode + Pre-emption + Long Breaks
              I could write a long list of episodes that supposedly drove fans away if we're going to assume that the previous episode *always* effects the ratings, and much of that list would be filled with fan favorites.

Actually, I'm just bored enough to do it, so here goes:

Zod......................4.96*
              Sneeze.................4.52*
              Wither..................4.88*
              Arrow...................4.71*
              Reunion...............4.79*
              Fallout.................5.01*
              Rage...................4.46*
              Static...................4.70*
              Subterranean........4.31*
              Hydro..................4.68*
              Justice.................5.26*
              Labyrinth..............5.00*
              Crimson.................4.91*
              Trespass...............4.74*
              Freak....................4.76*
              Promise................4.69*
              Combat................4.07*
              Progeny...............4.03
              By the logic that if the ratings dropped it was because the previous episode(s) were bad we have these episodes "sucking":

Zod
              Wither
              Fallout
              Static
              Justice
              Labyrinth
              Crimson
              Freak
              Promise
              Combat

And these episodes being good since the ratings rose for the following episodes:

Sneeze
              Arrow
              Rage
              Subterranean
              Hydro
              Trespass

Now in the list of those that "sucked" we only have a few that are widely regarded as "bad" episodes:

Wither
              Static
              (Promise) - Promise is in quotes because quite frankly it isn't widely regarded as sucking, it is an episode that is very split down the middle and once again falls into the spell of "those that don't like it speak loudest of all."

And in the list of episodes that were supposedly "good" because the episodes following them rose in ratings, we have a most noteworthy one:

Subterranean

Now I liked Subterranean, but it's most certainly not widely regarded as a "good" episode.

And you'll notice that the episodes have truly been declining since Justice since we only had a slight increase with Freak. The only two incredibly low numbers share two things in common - hiatus and pre-emptions. pre-emptions are the two major factors that don't count towards the other low-rated episodes so it stands to reason the pre-emptions *are* a major reason for those episodes being lower-than-average.

With your reasoning of the ratings decreasing because of a specific episode, then it stands to reason based on that list that Justice was the episode that drove viewers away, Justice the fan favorite. One episode effects ratings from week-to-week, it does not effect the overall ratings for the rest of the season. The vendetta against Promise is both weak and boring. But at least it's not as bad as the vendetta against Reckoning, as you all have yet to come up with a "clever" name that will be overused for years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by MidgardDragon
                I could write a long list of episodes that supposedly drove fans away if we're going to assume that the previous episode *always* effects the ratings, and much of that list would be filled with fan favorites.

Actually, I'm just bored enough to do it, so here goes:

By the logic that if the ratings dropped it was because the previous episode(s) were bad we have these episodes "sucking":

Zod
                Wither
                Fallout
                Static
                Justice
                Labyrinth
                Crimson
                Freak
                Promise
                Combat

And these episodes being good since the ratings rose for the following episodes:

Sneeze
                Arrow
                Rage
                Subterranean
                Hydro
                Trespass

Now in the list of those that "sucked" we only have a few that are widely regarded as "bad" episodes:

Wither
                Static
                (Promise) - Promise is in quotes because quite frankly it isn't widely regarded as sucking, it is an episode that is very split down the middle and once again falls into the spell of "those that don't like it speak loudest of all."

And in the list of episodes that were supposedly "good" because the episodes following them rose in ratings, we have a most noteworthy one:

Subterranean

Now I liked Subterranean, but it's most certainly not widely regarded as a "good" episode.

And you'll notice that the episodes have truly been declining since Justice since we only had a slight increase with Freak. The only two incredibly low numbers share two things in common - hiatus and pre-emptions. pre-emptions are the two major factors that don't count towards the other low-rated episodes so it stands to reason the pre-emptions *are* a major reason for those episodes being lower-than-average.

With your reasoning of the ratings decreasing because of a specific episode, then it stands to reason based on that list that Justice was the episode that drove viewers away, Justice the fan favorite. One episode effects ratings from week-to-week, it does not effect the overall ratings for the rest of the season. The vendetta against Promise is both weak and boring. But at least it's not as bad as the vendetta against Reckoning, as you all have yet to come up with a "clever" name that will be overused for years to come.

Awesome post!

I should save this and post it every time someone blames the episode before for the rating failure!
                Last edited by Kreukie; 04-22-2007, 08:45 AM.

Comment

But the ratings drop after "Promise" wasn't some tiny little dip. You can always expect some fluctuation in the ratings. Sometimes they're a little higher from week-to-week. Sometimes, a bit lower. For example, the ratings drop between "Justice" and "Labyrinth" was pretty typical of what you see on any given show in a season.

But the ratings drop after "Promise" was huge. The show lost over half a million viewers in one week. That's not in any way typical.

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyblue1

But the ratings drop after "Promise" was huge. The show lost over half a million viewers in one week. That's not in any way typical.
                    Combat didn't air everywhere that night, hence the big drop as compared to other nights.

Also there was that big basketball game as well that night.

Also Spring break started for a lot people that same week.

There was a lot factors as to why the ratings were so low for Combat.

I mean, I didn't watch Combat and I liked Promise, just didn't find the trailer all that interesting for Combat.
                    Last edited by Kreukie; 04-23-2007, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Does anyone know the final numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by Best Episode - 321
                        That may be the case that satellite providers don't allow ratings detection, but it doesn't matter.

All networks face that same issue and it would affect them all the same.

What matters is that all networks are playing by the same rules and that seemingly is the case.
                        I have DirecTv and also friends of my have DishNetwork and we are also are not counted I wont say that there are millions of viewers that did not get counted, but a least a few hundred thousand of us.

One other thing that you need to add to the list is that the CW just does not have that many stations (as the WB did). This does effect the total count of what people watch. But when you look at ABC, CBS, NBC, and add in Fox all of their numbers are a lot lower this year. CSI and Lost have lost a lot of viewer's.

My 2cents worth,

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyblue1
                          But the ratings drop after "Promise" wasn't some tiny little dip. You can always expect some fluctuation in the ratings. Sometimes they're a little higher from week-to-week. Sometimes, a bit lower. For example, the ratings drop between "Justice" and "Labyrinth" was pretty typical of what you see on any given show in a season.

I addressed the larger-than-average dip in my post. You are chosing to ignore the pre-emptions due to your dislike of Promise.

Comment

A lot of people in Chicago couldn't watch so...

Comment

I addressed the larger-than-average dip in my post. You are chosing to ignore the pre-emptions due to your dislike of Promise.
                              Promise was not pre-empted.

Comment

I'm not ignoring the pre-emptions, just stating the facts. And I'd find it very hard to believe that all of the more than 600,000 viewers SV lost between "Promise" and "Combat" live in the Chicago area.

Oh, here's an interesting tidbit. "Freak," which was pre-empted in a major market, got higher ratings than "Promise," which wasn't.

It would be interesting to be able to see what "Freak'" numbers would've been without the pre-emption.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎